Ok, so I am reasonably new to this lovely forum, and as I browse the threads I notice a theme: Everybody detests the Marshall MG series. Why is this so? I'd say for the money they are worth it, especially if bought used. I have the 250DFX with the two 12'' celestions, and it has served me well up until now.

Now before I get bombarded with "U DONT KNO TONE LOL" lettme just make my case- I play mine with a USA Jackson SL2H, a beautiful guitar, and it sounds lovely. I own two other nice guitars, and the amp has sounded nice with them as well. It complements my Wah and Chorus nicely, and if you set it up right you can get varied sounds. Currently I am shopping for a JCM series Half stack. The reason why I am upgrading is not because of displeasure with an amp that I have owned since 2005, but with my new guitar, I would like an amp that matches.

I know it isn't the all tube goodness and warmth of the JCM or JVM series, but I'd say for a mid-range amp it isn't bad at all.

Just a thought...
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL

welcome to UG, check the banned threads sticky.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
It's just for the sake of cost, there are better amps for the price. Plus, unless your some one who does like there solid state amps, then anything over 30watts is kinda useless (with the exception of amps that come only with >30 watts)

And in the end, who has to care about what people say. You can make your own opinion. Also read the stickies....
I've played the JCM...it makes me want to weep and impregnates women for a 2 mile radius, but the MG can't be compared to that- its a diff animal...

and 311...profound addition with your vomiting face...good argument! haha

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Quote by Richmanofaction
Ok, so I am reasonably new to this lovely forum, and as I browse the threads I notice a theme: Everybody detests the Marshall MG series. Why is this so? I'd say for the money they are worth it, especially if bought used. I have the 250DFX with the two 12'' celestions, and it has served me well up until now.

Now before I get bombarded with "U DONT KNO TONE LOL" lettme just make my case- I play mine with a USA Jackson SL2H, a beautiful guitar, and it sounds lovely. I own two other nice guitars, and the amp has sounded nice with them as well. It complements my Wah and Chorus nicely, and if you set it up right you can get varied sounds. Currently I am shopping for a JCM series Half stack. The reason why I am upgrading is not because of displeasure with an amp that I have owned since 2005, but with my new guitar, I would like an amp that matches.

I know it isn't the all tube goodness and warmth of the JCM or JVM series, but I'd say for a mid-range amp it isn't bad at all.

Just a thought...

I am gonna say this and try not to get perma'd....

The reason for all of the MG hate, is not because they are bad practice amps....but because they market half stacks and large combos to the people out there that have a little money to spend on an amp, that "WANT A HALFSTACK" (there is nothing wrong with wanting or feeling you need one BTW). If you have ever heard a serious band with an MG, you would know that the MG sounds terrible, and out of place on stage, especially when matched up with a good amp.

For example, you feel that because you have a nice guitar and some effects that you know tone. Tone starts with the amplifier...not the guitar, or the pickups or anything about a guitar. Those help, however more that 50% of tone comes from the amp. Your amp shouldn't complement your pedals....your pedals should complement your amp.

Think about it.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Well, you obviously have not read the Stickies or you would know not to double post too.

I'm not going to report you as you are new but your life here will be easier if you follow some basic rules.

I can think of lots of amps I'd rather have for $500 than an MG.

If you like it, knock yourself out.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by Brendan.Clace

For example, you feel that because you have a nice guitar and some effects that you know tone. Tone starts with the player...not the guitar, or the pickups or anything about a guitar. Those help, however more that 50% of tone comes from the amp. Your amp shouldn't complement your pedals....your pedals should complement your amp.

Think about it.

fixed, to what I think.
Quote by Ghold125
fixed, to what I think.

That is naive. Seriously naive. All this talk of "tone is in the fingers" etc is such a waste of a bandwagon. I agree that technique and playing style have some effect on tone, however, I think that considering the amp has a mojority of say in what your tone sounds like....I'm gonna have to say that I don't agree...however...that is just my opinion.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
I am gonna say this and try not to get perma'd....

The reason for all of the MG hate, is not because they are bad practice amps....but because they market half stacks and large combos to the people out there that have a little money to spend on an amp, that "WANT A HALFSTACK" (there is nothing wrong with wanting or feeling you need one BTW). If you have ever heard a serious band with an MG, you would know that the MG sounds terrible, and out of place on stage, especially when matched up with a good amp.

For example, you feel that because you have a nice guitar and some effects that you know tone. Tone starts with the amplifier...not the guitar, or the pickups or anything about a guitar. Those help, however more that 50% of tone comes from the amp. Your amp shouldn't complement your pedals....your pedals should complement your amp.

Think about it.

Hmm what a balanced response-

So their marketing shot themselves in the foot- interesting

BTW- I hear Zakk says that they have CRUSHING OVERDRIVE hahah

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Quote by Richmanofaction
Hmm what a balanced response-

So their marketing shot themselves in the foot- interesting

BTW- I hear Zakk says that they have CRUSHING OVERDRIVE hahah

Obvious troll is obvious.... LOL!!!!!!1111oneone!!!111
I'd say the guitar influences tone a bit more than the amp- the difference between my guitars is very, very noticeable on the same amps. Even on the JCM the difference is marked.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Quote by Brendan.Clace
That is naive. Seriously naive. All this talk of "tone is in the fingers" etc is such a waste of a bandwagon. I agree that technique and playing style have some effect on tone, however, I think that considering the amp has a mojority of say in what your tone sounds like....I'm gonna have to say that I don't agree...however...that is just my opinion.

Yes, I do agree that the amp makes up a big part of your tone. But all sound has to come from somewhere. And there will be no sound with out some one playing. So say a player like Paul Gilbert was to play into a Behringer started pack, he would not doubt sound better then a beginner playing into a Marshall Vintage Modern and a PGM301
Quote by Richmanofaction
I'd say the guitar influences tone a bit more than the amp- the difference between my guitars is very, very noticeable on the same amps. Even on the JCM the difference is marked.

The guitar has little to do with it. MAYBE 15-20% or so. The difference between single coils and humbuckers is huge, yes, however, not enough to really be acknowledgeable. A great amp will make a ****ty guitar sound good.... whereas a Marshall MG will make a $4000 guitar sound like hell.....

EDIT:

Ghold, anyone will sound better than a beginner...why? Technique and skill level...and yes, as I said earlier...I agree that technique etc helps...but the amp is easily over 50% of your tone.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by Brendan.Clace
haha, but what makes the sound you are creating? The guitar has little to do with it. The difference between single coils and humbuckers is huge, yes, however, not enough to really be acknowledgeable. A great amp will make a ****ty guitar sound good.... whereas a Marshall MG will make a $4000 guitar sound like hell.....

EDIT:

Ghold, anyone will sound better than a beginner...why? Technique and skill level...and yes, as I said earlier...I agree that technique etc helps...but the amp is easily over 50% of your tone.

I think you are underestimating the nuances of the wood that makes up the guitar. If a guitar is made of Indian Cedro vs. Mahogany, you're gonna hear it.
Also, the pickups are huge in determining sound. Neck Thru, vs. bolt on neck is important for resonance as well...

And I know for a fact that the MG will not make a $4000 guitar sound like hell. Nothing would.

Also- it has to be said that the person playing is a huge factor as well. Tone is a cocktail of X factors

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Last edited by Richmanofaction at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by Richmanofaction
I think you are underestimating the nuances of the wood that makes up the guitar. If a guitar is made of Indian Cedro vs. Mahogany, you're gonna hear it.
Also, the pickups are huge in determining sound. Neck Thru, vs. bolt on neck is important for resonance as well...

And I know for a fact that the MG will not make a $4000 guitar sound like hell. Nothing would.

Either you don't know tone...or you are really not understanding what we are saying.

The clean on the MG is meh at best...and the OD channel sounds literally like a can of bees. That is from personal experience. This is obviously going nowhere. Neck-thru vs. bolt on does not really make that much of a difference at all. I understand that you are a bit butthurt that I said guitar has little to do with it, because you own a damn nice guitar, and a ****ty ****in amp, but really...that is no reason to fight this to the death. It is common knowledge not only on this board, but on HCAF, TGP, HRI etc that the MG is a ****ty amp, especially in its larger forms.... this isn't just me that thinks this.
^Why should he care what some one has to say about his own tone? If he's happy with it, then why bother?

This thread is pointless, why is it still here?
Quote by Ghold125
^Why should he care what some one has to say about his own tone? If he's happy with it, then why bother?

I asked myself the same thing.... I said in my own post "this is going nowhere"

Thanks Crimson, I was looking for that post...
Quote by Ghold125

Ha I dunno, apparently I have no idea what I am talking about...

Anywho, to answer your question, this thread was here because I just wanted to know why the MGs are so frowned upon in the UG community- thats all I have no emotional attachment to the amp- i am replacing it. As for my tone- tone is tone- all subjective etc.

I just wanted to know why they are detested so much.

I found the answer- crappy marketing -

Thats all.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

OK, MG's are bad for the price. Not bad practice amps, per se, but anything above 30w is wasting your money.

Me, I like solid state amps. But MG's are not the ones I like. The best solid states out there aren't trying to sound like a tube amp, they have their own sound, except, of course, for the really freakin' expensive modelers.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Richmanofaction
Ha I dunno, apparently I have no idea what I am talking about...

Anywho, to answer your question, this thread was here because I just wanted to know why the MGs are so frowned upon in the UG community- thats all I have no emotional attachment to the amp- i am replacing it. As for my tone- tone is tone- all subjective etc.

I just wanted to know why they are detested so much.

I found the answer- crappy marketing -

Thats all.

Again...it's not just Ultimate-Guitar! It is the same way on Harmony Central Amp Forum, The Gear Page, Huge Racks Inc, Maplifiers, 7-string... etc etc etc.....not just here.
Quote by oneblackened
OK, MG's are bad for the price. Not bad practice amps, per se, but anything above 30w is wasting your money.

Me, I like solid state amps. But MG's are not the ones I like. The best solid states out there aren't trying to sound like a tube amp, they have their own sound, except, of course, for the really freakin' expensive modelers.

What brand (s) solid state do you like?

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

TS Delete this thread NAO! before a mod sees it and gives almost all of the users who posted here a warning
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

TS Delete this thread NAO! before a mod sees it and gives almost all of the users who posted here a warning

It's been reported twice and nothing so far...no idea how this is gonna go.
Quote by Brendan.Clace

Ahh the end is near!! haha

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Quote by Richmanofaction
What brand (s) solid state do you like?

I like some Peavey solid states (the XXL is a very nice high gain SS head), and Line 6 Vettas, Flextones, and HD147's.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Brendan.Clace

you know, some of us mods do have lives. we dont see threads the moment they are reported, cause you know, things like sleep get in the way. so next time there is a thread like this, just let it die.