I've been self teaching myself guitar (very laid back) for 3 years nearly, and hardly know any scales.

What scales do you reccomend i learn to create interesting solos? I only know 5 minor pentatonic scale positions...

thanks!
Quote by D.I.R.T.
Learn the Ionian scale positions, that scale can be used almost anywhere and if you know about relitive major and minor keys you can even use it in a minor key... heres a link a guide i used when i was teaching myself to play.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_ultimate_guide_to_guitar_chapter_i__1_introduction_-_the_guitar.html

If TS does't know much about theory, I don't think it's the time to start throwing around the names of modes. Let him learn to use the major scale first.
Quote by Myshadow46_2
If TS does't know much about theory, I don't think it's the time to start throwing around the names of modes. Let him learn to use the major scale first.

+1

There really is no need to even use the term Ionian because it exists as the Major scale. ( Same with Aeolian - natural minor) Other modes are relevant (when a persons ready for them) because they offer unique colors that the Major and minor scales do not.

TS...

The Major scale is a good place start. Also remember why your leaning those scales....... to make music. Once you know a scale (like you know minor pentatonic), spend some quality time experiencing the scales in context....... like learn some solos/licks/melodies.
shred is gaudy music