Page 1 of 4
Since this sprouted up in the MG discussion thread, it piqued my curiosity-

What are some good brands for a high quality solidstate amp? Are Peaveys any good?
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Fractal Audio
Randall
Roland
Line6 (Vetta and Flextone series)
Ampeg
NOT Marshall
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Fractal Audio
Randall
Roland
Ampeg
NOT Marshall

Any Randall recommendations?

You are becoming my good buddy Mr. Clace

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

The only SS amps I've tried was some Marshall and a Peavey Bandit. Both were really good.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
The only SS amps I've tried was some Marshall and a Peavey Bandit. Both were really good.

Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Vetta or axe-fx for my money.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
i heard the peavey vypyr's meant to be good....................if its solid state :S i think it is anyways
They made me do push ups in drag

I'm gonna have a really hard time if we're both cannibals and racists.

Don't dress as a whore, he'll thump you.

I'm a firework, primed to go off
Ampeg 140c
Roland JC-120

These amps are ultimately the "classics" of SS design in the past, and quite sort after nowadays, probably due to being designed for being "more than a practice amp".

Tis my theory anyway

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Fractal Audio
Randall
Roland
Ampeg
NOT Marshall

Old Marshall SS amps are good. Peavey's SS amps are good. Some of Crate's SS amps are good.

Otherwise, this is the list.

Ohh, and that Prichard guy who advertises in the back of Guitar World.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by padgea7x
i heard the peavey vypyr's meant to be good....................if its solid state :S i think it is anyways

It's a modelling amp. Some of them are solid state, some have a tube power amp. I believe it uses analog modelling too, like a Sansamp, and only has digital FX.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Fractal Audio
Randall
Roland
Line6 (Vetta and Flextone series HD147 too)
Ampeg
NOT Marshall not MG's, anyway. My old Valvestate sounded decent except for the POS speaker.
Peavey

fix'd.

Yeah, this is the list.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Even MGs aren't horrible. They're just horrible for the price, and with their stock speakers.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by Richmanofaction
Any Randall recommendations?

Randall V2/T2
and some old ones
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I played a a little Hughes and Kettner and a Orange practice amp GC had used once and they sounded nice.
I have a huge fear if rays.
SS Sunns are pretty cool as well
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
I like H+H solid states - you can't get them any more though.. look used, a few might turn up dirt cheap... They have a kind of an honest harsh transistor quality to them which doesn't try to be anything other than what it is and that works quite nicely.

I have a Torque solid state which is quite nice apart from the fact the speaker has suffered misuse - it's been used as a PA, a bass amp, and god knows what else.. so it's all muffled and weird sounding.

The Lab Series L5 is good enough for BB King.

The only modern analog solid state amps i've found from a limited selection were the NEW Marshall MG series (MG4), which is far superior to the older models which were just crap and actually sounds pretty good for an entry level solid state even though everyone still hates it because it's still an MG (most of the haters probably didn't actually bother to give the new ones a try)... and the Fender.. uhh.. Dyna-touch III?? Stage 1600??.. same thing with several different names that people seem to alternate between...

in a word i think there aren't many good, affordable solid states on the market at the moment but there are plenty if you're willing to pay a bit more - i just haven't heard of so many...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Fender M-80, Fender "Chorus" amps. Roland JC-120, Acoustic Amps (run a guitar through one of the bass ones, and you get the PERFECT jazz tone)!!
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
The mid-90'2 Peavey Bandits are good SS amps, and they were built like a tank too. The Marshall MK1 & 2 Valvestate amps are reasonably good, but you have to play with the settings to get them to sound right. I have a VS65 Marshall, the best gain tone if you are playing loud is to max the volume & wind up the gain until you find the sound you want. It has a contour control instead of a mid control, get that right & you're sorted
What I have: Line 6 Flextone III

Don't associate them with other Line 6 amps. They are awesome. A tube amp would sound better at high volumes than the Flextone but it's still a "solid" contender and probably the best sounding and most versatile solid state amp you can buy
Last edited by SeanJovi at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Modelling amps are different from SS amps.........

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by Blompcube
The only modern analog solid state amps i've found from a limited selection were the NEW Marshall MG series (MG4), which is far superior to the older models...

I feel the need to point out the old ones were analog too. So are Marshall AVTs, Peavey Bandits and Rages, Kustoms, Fender Frontmans, Ravens, Crates... actually, come to think of it, most solid state amps are analog. A lot of solid state amps have some sort of digital multiFX built in, but other then their reverb/delay/phase/chorus FX, the amp is all analog.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by STABxYOU
I feel the need to point out the old ones were analog too. So are Marshall AVTs, Peavey Bandits and Rages, Kustoms, Fender Frontmans, Ravens, Crates... actually, come to think of it, most solid state amps are analog. A lot of solid state amps have some sort of digital multiFX built in, but other then their reverb/delay/phase/chorus FX, the amp is all analog.

i may not have made myself clear in the first place but i was well aware of that - i'm one of the people whose been getting frustrated every time someone says "MG sux cus itz digital.. digital sux u need t00bz" because i've trying to get the message across that solid state and digital are not the same thing and it seems like nobody is listening it's quite reassuring to know i'm not the only one though
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by SeanJovi
What I have: Line 6 Flextone III

Don't associate them with other Line 6 amps. They are awesome. A tube amp would sound better at high volumes than the Flextone but it's still a "solid" contender and probably the best sounding and most versatile solid state amp you can buy

Yeah, with line 6 flextone and up is the best bet.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
depends what you want them for - if you want a good quality sound reproduction like a PA then you want ss over tube as ss gives a higher fidelity signal reproduction.

If you want it to make a sound like a guitar amp then you actually want to amp itself to change the sound not just straight up amplify it, it then comes down to personal preference as to what sounds good, some people even seem to like MG's...

which are you looking for?
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
I am looking for a new tube head, but I don't want to rule out something that is Solid State completely. I am looking into the JCM 2000, but I was interested in seeing what higher end SS there is out there.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

the cub add-100 is a great and very small amp. i suggest that everyone throw away their huge amps and get this. no reason to have an amp thats so big that you cant move it easily. also the color of it matches my leather guitar straps nicely.
Quote by Richmanofaction
I am looking for a new tube head, but I don't want to rule out something that is Solid State completely. I am looking into the JCM 2000, but I was interested in seeing what higher end SS there is out there.

Most good SS amps are not in production anymore FYI.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Fender Cyber Deluxe is a really nice amp with some good effects built in. My friend has one and I enjoy playing on it.
VOX AC15 Classic Combo
Gibson SG Menace
Parker p-42
AnalogMan modified TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss DD-20 Giga-Delay
Boss Compression sustainer
Maxon AF-9 Auto Filter Wah
Quote by Blompcube
i may not have made myself clear in the first place but i was well aware of that - i'm one of the people whose been getting frustrated every time someone says "MG sux cus itz digital.. digital sux u need t00bz" because i've trying to get the message across that solid state and digital are not the same thing and it seems like nobody is listening it's quite reassuring to know i'm not the only one though

I share your frustrations. People bitching about digital sounding Metal Zones make me rage.

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

Because t00b snobs managed to spread the myth that only tubes are worth paying more then $300 for. So there's very few high end SS amps on the market, other then modellers.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD

+ 1
There was a time when SS amps were really good
Acoustic Control
Sunn (most notably the beta series and concert series)

AND WHY HAS NO ONE HERE MENTIONED KUSTOM?!?!?!?!?
Quote by bl!ast
Acoustic Control
Sunn (most notably the beta series and concert series)

AND WHY HAS NO ONE HERE MENTIONED KUSTOM?!?!?!?!?

I did.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
I have an Ampeg, and i will vouch for solid state, it can make a great amplifier. maybe not for everyone, but neither is tube.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
The Crate GX130c is awesome. Amazing cleans and pretty good, but fairly raw sound gain. The gain is very OSDM/BM style. Raw and somewhat marshall-ie. But still SS style gain.
Page 1 of 4