I had a funny idea. I've been trying to make my guitar brighter for solos - my brother's Strat sounds about right on some of them. However, when I switch to the rhythm part, my IBanez sounds better. So I've been thinking.

Do you guys know about a guitar with a humbucker in the neck position and two single coils in the middle and bridge spots? It seems like something that would work out well.
of course there r guitars in a SSH pickup configuration
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Your ibanez probably sounds better for rhythm [ie darker or neutral] as it is either mahogany or basswood.

The Strat sounds brighter because it has Alder or Ash.

It's a wood thing that causes the different sounds you like.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by GodofCheesecake
Excessive punctuation!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by dhutton
+infinity

I have infinity.
Quote by metharian
yea its way too much for my little stick lol
Last edited by sw1ss023 at Aug 1, 2009,
Build one!

Seriously though, build one. It'll be better than a modified tele, and you can make it from mahogany to give it a warmer tone.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
www.warmoth.com

For all your "Do they make this?" needs.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I know some people in my town do make guitars. Maybe they'll be interested. Also, I don't think it was the wood - my Ibanez's middle pickup (a single coil) sounded pretty good, but it didn't distort well. I was thinking oftwo single coils instead of just one so I could have them run together (I think that's called running in series, but I'm probably wrong).
Quote by wicket_nirvana
of course there r guitars in a SSH pickup configuration

I thought you were supposed to start from the bridge, eg. HSS, not SSH.
Quote by Geldin
I know some people in my town do make guitars. Maybe they'll be interested. Also, I don't think it was the wood - my Ibanez's middle pickup (a single coil) sounded pretty good, but it didn't distort well. I was thinking oftwo single coils instead of just one so I could have them run together (I think that's called running in series, but I'm probably wrong).

You could just get a higer output single coil, or use a boost/OD for it, given that you said you're only gonna be using the neck for rhythm and then the bridge for lead work. Or you could just get say a Fender Standard Tele, and shove a Little 59 in there or a Hot Rails or something like that.

Quote by Pingis_Or_Death
I thought you were supposed to start from the bridge, eg. HSS, not SSH.

HSS would mean that the humbucker is in the bridge, SSH would mean that the humbucker is in the neck, which we want for this. So it is starting from the bridge, it's just an unusual pickup selection.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Running two single coils in series won't give you an output boost, but will probably make it easier to distort.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Couldn't you just grab a strat that is routed H/S/H and then use a pickguard that is S/S/H and you have what you want.
go for a H/S/H with a coil splitter, then you can go from H/S/H to S/S/S. that would probably work for u