Is there a better neck plate? Yeah. I know that 'is there a better/which is best/ x vs x threads are not allowed but I think that this is kinda simple - what neck plate offers the best quality - ie is the best for an tight neck joint? Is there a make in the UK??

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Erm, i may be completely wrong, but is a neck plate not just a neck plate? I wouldn't have thought that there would be much difference between them. If you want to change it though,
www.axetec.co.uk or www.axesrus.com do spares and such. OR for probaby a bigger choice, www.thomann.de BUT with thomann, minimum order is 20 quid and 10 pound shipping, but you could get strings and **** too.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
so basically what you are asking is what flat piece of metal, with holes for screws in it, is best?

dunno. not something i put much thought into. i doubt there is a difference between thicker or denser, then again i'd be surprised if there was. i always figured the neck plate was there just to prevent someone screwing the neck directly to the body, screwing down too much and splitting the body when the head of the screw goes too deep.
Quote by David Collins
If you like the look of the countersunk washers, they work just fine, but aren't going to translate to any real functional or tonal difference.
Ferrules and an AANJ look much better tho IMO

but yeah as said, as long as the plate isnt made of tin foil, beyond that there is no advantage between them.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Hey, this meant I was pretty much right about something!

And no TS, glad to help.
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Quote by David Collins
The purpose of the plate is to provide a wide surface to bear the load and disperse pressure over a wider area to avoid crushing the wood. It needs to be thick and stiff enough not to fold down at the corners and crush in to the wood when sufficiently tightened.

Beyond that, there's no difference in function or tone, though I'm sure there are people selling them that would like to claim otherwise. If you believe them however, I have a special hand cream for sale that will make you sound just like Jimmy Page (can be reformulated to emulate other artists for a small additional fee).

If you like the look of the countersunk washers, they work just fine, but aren't going to translate to any real functional or tonal difference.

I'll take 2 to sound like david gilmour and 2 to sound like jeff beck. And 3 for Mark Knopfler.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
Quote by Absent Mind
Ferrules and an AANJ look much better tho IMO

but yeah as said, as long as the plate isnt made of tin foil, beyond that there is no advantage between them.

not only does the ferrules and the AANJ look better, it's a lot more comfy.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks all!

EDIT:

Is an AANJ harder to make than a bolt on?

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Aug 1, 2009,
An AANJ is a bolt on...

Its a little harder I guess, all it is is a regular bolt on that is shaped by hand with rasps, files and sandpaper, and the screw holes have a recess on the back side in which a ferrule sits.

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
An AANJ is a bolt on...

Its a little harder I guess, all it is is a regular bolt on that is shaped by hand with rasps, files and sandpaper, and the screw holes have a recess on the back side in which a ferrule sits.

Not really, if anything it's easier. There's more freedom to place the holes.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Not really, if anything it's easier. There's more freedom to place the holes.
Bolt on with a neck plate = drilling 4 holes. AANJ = drilling 4 holes, countersinking ferrules, sculpting the wood into a curve around the holes.

How is the extra hand work entailed in using an AANJ easier than then a neck plate? lol

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
Bolt on with a neck plate = drilling 4 holes. AANJ = drilling 4 holes, countersinking ferrules, sculpting the wood into a curve around the holes.

How is the extra hand work entailed in using an AANJ easier than then a neck plate? lol

The neck plate has to be measured far more precisely than an AANJ, where you have freedom of shape and contour. Not only that, but with the AANJ you don't have to cut a perfect rectangle for a neck joint.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I would stay the neck plate is fairly easy, double sided tape it on, drill through the holes, job done.

What do you mean perfect rectangle for a neck joint?

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
I'll show you.
as opposed to
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Cheers! A I allowed to ask a random question?

Ah WTH....

Would a body made of a rock maple cover on mahogany be harder to work with than just a rock maple body?

Certified lurker