So I have one of the squier startcaster guitars and I've been thinking that its time to get a new guitar . I really want to get a Ibanez RG2EX1

link:http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RE2EX1-Electric-Guitar?sku=519783

But yeah I just wanted to hear you guys opinions/suggestions . I have a Peavey Vypyr 30w amp just in case you have to know . And my budget is $350 .
Thanks for helping me!
Last edited by JavierFabre at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
More details..
What genres do you play? What do you want your guitar to have?

I play mostly metal . And nothing specifically .
Go with Ibanez. They make the best budget metal guitars IMO.
Everybody seems to like Schecter, they're supposedly really good for the money, but not quite my cup of tea. Their necks just don't quite fit my incredibly odd-shaped hands.
Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Aug 1, 2009,
Get a washburn!
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
I wouldn't buy a low end Ibanez. In my experience, they're all cheap sh*t. If you play any genres other than metal a used epiphone les paul standard or sg g-400 would be perfect. If you only play metal then you could still find a good used Jackson or something.
New Setup:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Black SG w/ 3 Hum.)
Peavey Classic 50
EHX Metal Muff
Cry Baby 535Q

"I'm the one that's got to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to"
Jimi Hendrix
Get a Schecter. Schecter owns Ibanez any day.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
I had the exact same experience. I had a red squier stratocaster from a bundle. The very next guitar I got was a jewel blue Ibanez RG2EX1. I love her, she is very versatile for a metal guitar. The only thing is that you will want to either raise the pickups or replace them. I raised them and I can get nearly any tone I want out of them.
Quote by wildwildwes594
I wouldn't buy a low end Ibanez. In my experience, they're all cheap sh*t. If you play any genres other than metal a used epiphone les paul standard or sg g-400 would be perfect. If you only play metal then you could still find a good used Jackson or something.

i have used some cheap ibanez guitars, and they're superior to any guitar in the category for rock and metal imo.
to ts, get the ibanez.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 BK with a Dimarzio Evo in bridge
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
please don't say get schester , jackson or washburn . If you do say that then please tell me specifically which one and whats so great about it . :/
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
You can't go wrong with Jackson =)

QFT.
But seriously, go to GC or a local shop and play everything on the wall. It doesn't matter what we think, what suits us could be worlds apart from what suits you.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Last edited by JagerSlushy at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by freakfrog14
I had the exact same experience. I had a red squier stratocaster from a bundle. The very next guitar I got was a jewel blue Ibanez RG2EX1. I love her, she is very versatile for a metal guitar. The only thing is that you will want to either raise the pickups or replace them. I raised them and I can get nearly any tone I want out of them.

well after seeing all the reviews of the guitar I might eventually replace the pick ups .
Quote by JagerSlushy
QFT.
But seriously, go to GC or a local shop and play everything on the wall. It doesn't matter what we think, what suits us could be worlds apart from what suits you.

where I live There are NO guitar shops anywhere
well, the thing about schecters is that they have a fkin big neck, which imo is uncomfortable.
with ibanez and jackson you're getting a thin neck, perfect for anything you will play on it.
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
No, Ibanez does not come close to building the best budget metal guitars, in fact, their Prestige series are not even the best for their money.

Even their prestige series comes with sub-par pickups that are nowhere near the quality of Gibson's pickups, Seymour Duncan, or EMG.

Companies like Jackson, Washburn, and Schecter, actually use the high quality pickups and hardware on their mid to low priced guitars.

Washburn, if you're willing to go used, offers the best deal.

The Washburn X50 which has Seymour Duncan '59/Custom Custom pickups, perfect for metal, go for $200 used, when they are $800 new.

You're next best bet is a Jackson. Due their their range of models and abundance, you can find exactly what you want body shape wise. They usually use EMGs in their mid range models [$500 - $600 new]. But, recently, they started using a SD '59/JB in most of their models. You can find them down around $300 - $350 used, also.

Schecter is more it or miss. Their new guitars use Duncan Designed pickups, even at the $500 mark, while their old guitars used 59/JB series as low as $350 new. Go used, and you'll find what you want between $250 - $300.
You could probably get a bad-ass Agile Reaper or Hornet or Ghost for that.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by JavierFabre
where I live There are NO guitar shops anywhere

Come on man.. i live in middle of nowhere and there are 3 shops here.They all suck but what the hell i can still buy strings i guess..

Well i own a Jackson JS30KV and it plays just perfect.. the thing is that it's a V shaped guitar and i don't know if you're into them..

IF YOU'RE GOING TO BUY ANY OF THE FOLLOWING GUITARS YOU WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE TO BUY NEW PICKUPS
JS30KV: V Shaped
JS30KE
JS30DKT : superstrat shape
JS30DK: the same as the JS30DKT but with tremolo (not recommended if you're going to use alternate tunings)
Quote by Crydius
No, Ibanez does not come close to building the best budget metal guitars, in fact, their Prestige series are not even the best for their money.

Even their prestige series comes with sub-par pickups that are nowhere near the quality of Gibson's pickups, Seymour Duncan, or EMG.

Companies like Jackson, Washburn, and Schecter, actually use the high quality pickups and hardware on their mid to low priced guitars.

The Washburn X50 which has Seymour Duncan '59/Custom Custom pickups, perfect for metal, go for $200 used, when they are $800 new.

You're next best bet is a Jackson. Due their their range of models and abundance, you can find exactly what you want body shape wise. They usually use EMGs in their mid range models [$500 - $600 new]. But, recently, they started using a SD '59/JB in most of their models. You can find them down around $300 - $350 used, also.

Schecter is more it or miss. Their new guitars use Duncan Designed pickups, even at the $500 mark, while their old guitars used 59/JB series as low as $350 new. Go used, and you'll find what you want between $250 - $300.

i would go for comfort and overall sound(which is decent even with the stock pickups) and badass trem(all of edges, except for the edge3) over the pickups, which are easily replaceble.

But is the Ibanez rg2ex1 any good at all??

if you are going to buy new, its your best bet.
Gear:
Jet city Jca2112rc
Digitech Bad Monkey
Last edited by thisdude at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by JavierFabre
But is the Ibanez rg2ex1 any good at all??

its a really nice guitar for 300 bucks. Hard tail RG's are good buys. If i cant buy a hardtail pgm within a couple years i'd certainly buy a rg2ex1 or one of its older hardtail brothers
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
Come on man.. i live in middle of nowhere and there are 3 shops here.They all suck but what the hell i can still buy strings i guess..

Well i own a Jackson JS30KV and it plays just perfect.. the thing is that it's a V shaped guitar and i don't know if you're into them..

IF YOU'RE GOING TO BUY ANY OF THE FOLLOWING GUITARS YOU WILL EVENTUALLY HAVE TO BUY NEW PICKUPS
JS30KV: V Shaped
JS30KE
JS30DKT : superstrat shape
JS30DK: the same as the JS30DKT but with tremolo (not recommended if you're going to use alternate tunings)

seriously no guitar shops I buy strings , picks and everything online .
I live in puerto rico so If anyone knows of a guitar shop around there then let me know.
Quote by thisdude
i would go for comfort and overall sound(which is decent even with the stock pickups) and badass trem(all of edges, except for the edge3) over the pickups, which are easily replaceble.

if you are going to buy new, its your best bet.

Yes I am buying new .
Quote by JavierFabre
seriously no guitar shops I buy strings , picks and everything online .
I live in puerto rico so If anyone knows of a guitar shop around there then let me know.

lol dude i live in Panama and we have guitar shops here D= that sucks man.. well good luck with your guitar
To tell you the truth I don't really know what pick ups do so If you tell me anything about pickups I don't know what you're talking about . xD but I do know what they are obviously
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
lol dude i live in Panama and we have guitar shops here D= that sucks man.. well good luck with your guitar

well it sucks to live here .
Quote by Crydius

Pickups are my last concern when buying a guitar since they can be replaced within a snap of my fingers. Body weight, sustain, trem/bridge, neck are harder to replace/customize once bought and are more important to the guitar overall than something that can easily be replaced.

edit:Quality of Gibson Pickups? Ha thats funny. Dont get me started on those overpriced pickups.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
save up a little more money and get an esp with a floyd rose, or buy a schecter c-7 fr, its so versatile and plays amazing, its like 200 more than your budget but its so worth it
I'm actually a big fan of the Dirty Fingers. While, I would NEVER buy them to put them in my guitars because they have a muddy sound, I would jump at those before any EMG set up.
Quote by JagerSlushy

Or if you're going high-end, get a Jackson.

Agreed-

but the Ibanez is a good choice- just watch out for the basswood body...they are a softer wood that is fragile.

Check out the japanese jacksons too...and I hear the ESP LTDs are good too
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Richmanofaction
Agreed-

but the Ibanez is a good choice- just watch out for the basswood body...they are a softer wood that is fragile.

Check out the japanese jacksons too...and I hear the ESP LTDs are good too

I love my ESP LTD, its amazing, Jeff Loomis used the same one i have back in 2003
Fender American Custom Shop
Black Beauty Les Paul Custom
Vox AD 100