I'm not really sure what I did to cause this but recently my bridge pickup seems to be playing up. When I play my strat in the bridge position the sound dies out pretty quickly after I strum and when I play harmonics they are almost non-existent. For these reasons I get the impression it's a problem with the bridge pickup but if it could be something else I'd appreciate suggestions. If I do need to replace the pickup should I replace all 3 or just the bridge one and can anyone recommend some decent single-coil pups, preferably white (as that's what I have at the moment)

Cheers
may be the switch.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Strat
Fender Mexi. Strat with DiMarzio Area '58's and '61
Breedlove AD-25 SR Plus

Original Crybaby
Modded Boss DS-1
Boss CH-1 Super Chorus
Boss DD-20 GigaDelay
Boss TU-2 Tuner
EHX LPB-1 Booster

Traynor YCS50H
Make sure you don't have a broken solder joint or anything. If you don't then I'd say it's probably a dead magnet.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Ok I'll have a look inside tomorrow and see if there are any obvious problems.

edit: I'm not face palming at you TS, I'm face palming at some of the answers.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 1, 2009,
+1

Magnets do not "die"

Ts, there's nothing wrong with the pickup, it's probably the selector switch
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Actually, its possible to "kill" a magnet.

But for it to happen to a guitar pickup, your guitar would have to take a few spills.

My guitar fell, no slammed down on to asphalt while it was sitting in its case. Of course the case is supposed to help cushion an impact, the input on the guitar broke. And my guitar has almost been beaten senseless, still works.
No, you can degauss a magnet (and then recharge it again) but you can't just "kill" a magnet. Even if the guitar takes a few "spills." But unless you purposely degaussed just the bridge pickup, it's very unlikely that this is the problem.

Pickups do not just "die."

The ONLY way a passive pickup can fail is if you make a break in the windings. And then it won't work anymore unless you completely rewind it. But it's very unlikely that that happened while the pickup is covered and in the guitar.
Quote by steven seagull
+1

Magnets do not "die"

This led me to the conclusion that you might not know about pickups as much as you think.Pickups do die, and when i say "dies" it means the pup looses its magnity.

I once got a strat pickup of mine demagnetized, but it went back to normal after some weeks... Itll come back to normal in a matter of time. like stated before, by someone, pups with covers areharder to loose their magnity
Last edited by Baraga at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by Baraga
This led me to the conclusion that you might not know about pickups as much as you think.Pickups do die, and when i say "dies" it means the pup looses its magnity.

I once got a strat pickup of mine demagnetized, but it went back to normal after some weeks... Itll come back to normal in a matter of time. like stated before, by someone, pups with covers areharder to loose their magnity
No, you're not making any sense. Because you said...
Quote by Baraga
If it is the magnet that died, there is only one solution - buy a new pup
What you're saying is still not correct. Second, a pickup does not just magically become recharged after being completely degaussed unless you recharge it. Plus, you said that if a magnet "dies" then you have to replace the pickup, completely contradictory to what you are saying.

Second, a cover is not going to make it any harder to degauss, because the covers on a strat pickup are plastic and do not affect magnetic fields. What I said was that a cover will protect the windings, because a break in the windings is the only way a pickup becomes nonfunctional. Unless you seriously degauss the magnet, but again, unless he did this to his bridge pickup purposely, I find it very unlikely that it would happen to just his bridge pickup.
Quote by Baraga

This leads me to the conlcusion that you may not know about physics as much as you think.

Magnets to not magically lose their magentism then regain it. I know exactly how to demagnetize something and it simply isn't going to happen in your typical guitar playing situation.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Recommended threads
lol!
melodicVmetal
Last post:
by beetroot10
Bigfoot
Codyman08
Last post:
by Iluvpowerchords