I currently own a Line 6 Spider III amp. It isn't terrible to listen to, but I know that I could do much better then that thing. I'm looking into getting a good amp for around $500 at some point by the end of this year.

I mostly play metal, but I sometimes play blues and classic rock with my brother and father, so something that'll sound good overdriven, distorted, and clean is a must. I currently play an Ibanez GRG170DX (http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GRG170DX-Electric-Guitar?sku=512496). I plan on gigging sometime in the future, but I don't right now. My budget is going to be around $500, but I'm willing to go to $600 if the amp is good enough.

Any suggestions? I trust your judgement.
Peavey Classic 30 or B-52?
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
Tube or Solid state?
Are you buying used or new?

Anyways, Peavey 6505+ is amazing you should check it out

6560+ are amazing but for blues and classic rock? Not as great for others

The B52 tube amps are a nice deal for the price and a great cheap metal tube amp. However the shared EQ for the crunch and lead channel makes it bothersome to switch in between genres if you have your EQ set a certain way.

You could check out the "Only Thread for MEtal Gear" or something like that to see more choices. WTFtab is more than able to help ya
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
I'd prefer a tube amp if possible. Solid states aren't so great, or so I've heard. But then again, my experience with them is limited to the Spider III, so that's not saying a whole lot.

Edit: Either works. If you guys think it's a good amp, I'll look at it.
Last edited by Geldin at Aug 1, 2009,
I have a B-52 AT-112 and I'm able to get anything from Thrash Metal tones to Classic Rock tones to even Jazz.

Just throwin' that out there....
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
The AT-112 looks really nice. Does anyone else know much about it. From the specs, it looks really impressive for the price.
Quote by Geldin
I'd prefer a tube amp if possible. Solid states aren't so great, or so I've heard. But then again, my experience with them is limited to the Spider III, so that's not saying a whole lot.

Edit: Either works. If you guys think it's a good amp, I'll look at it.

There are some solid states that are great. Even at that price. But your styles a tube amp might be more accommodating. Its all preference anyways.

^^thats good for the ts to now. shows its not limited. its been a couple of years since i tried one so my impression isnt fresh
I think I might go for the AT-112.
I read that the clean tone was really good. The overdrive/distortion was said to be a little lacking. If that is true, can you recommend a good distortion pedal? I own a Boss one, but it sounds really thin and cheap (but that might just be my amp....)
Quote by Geldin
I think I might go for the AT-112.
I read that the clean tone was really good. The overdrive/distortion was said to be a little lacking. If that is true, can you recommend a good distortion pedal? I own a Boss one, but it sounds really thin and cheap (but that might just be my amp....)

It shouldn't really need a Distortion Pedal. An OD maybe to push it further, get some early clipping or tighten up the sound. Thats for a whole another topic though. Lots of guys could help you

Theres a good youtube review by an old uger over the b52. he's been since banned but it was a good review none the less
Just heard the amp in a couple of videos. I'm sold. Thanks for the suggestion, dude. That's a huge step up from my Line 6 - especially considering it's only $160 more....
remember, try before you buy if at all possible.
DOESN'T REALLY CARE ABOUT RON WILSON
Of course. I'm definitely going to look around in music stores to see if they have one in stock and try that out along with some similar things.