hey guys when it comes to heavy metal shredding type where should i start?
im intermediate now and im starting to get bored of rock and what something new to play, now when you go in to guitar shops to try out guitars you look at all the other guitarist who really shred on the guitar with really fast solos.

now im thinking where can i start? im 100 percent self tought and proud so i dont have a teacher, but what videos shall i watch? what licks should i learn, do you have any useful links? and how did you start??

thanks a lot
Scales. Modes. All that boring stuff.

Listen to Malmsteen, Petrucci, Vai, Satriani all those shedders. Study those ****ers.

Practice slow, then speed up. And by slow i mean, REALLY ****ing slow. Like, 80 BMP. Then tuck it up to 84 BMP, then back again.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Michael Angelo Batio has some really good videos out there where he actually tries teaching you to shred, which is more than a lot of other videos out there. Look up some of his stuff. Try some sweeps, working on alternate picking, legato. A lot of stuff to try.

Good luck
Strats & Seagulls
I'm not a shredder by any means, but I'm going to say what I'm sure a dozen others will say. Practise, practise and practise. Sadly there's no way to reach that kind of level overnight, it'll take you months(likely years) of doing the same boring excercises and songs if you were to put in say 6-8 hours a day.

I'd recommend always pushing yourself, always learning something you know will be tough even before you begin but practising it slowly first.

There's a great thread called the 21-day Challenge, and another recommending the best songs to get to grips with each "shred" techinque.

I'm droning on and on now, but best of luck with it!

Oh, for some suggestions I'd recommend Paul Gilbert. He's one of the top shredders, but mroe importantly he's a great teacher. Check his lessons here and on youtube, and look at the songs "Technical Difficulties" and "Scarified". Don't be intimidated by his playing! Just give everything a try
Last edited by SilverSpurs616 at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by SilverSpurs616
I'm not a shredder by any means, but I'm going to say what I'm sure a dozen others will say. Practise, practise and practise. Sadly there's no way to reach that kind of level overnight, it'll take you months(likely years) of doing the same boring excercises and songs if you were to put in say 6-8 hours a day.

I'd recommend always pushing yourself, always learning something you know will be tough even before you begin but practising it slowly first.

There's a great thread called the 21-day Challenge, and another recommending the best songs to get to grips with each "shred" techinque.

I'm droning on and on now, but best of luck with it!

Oh, for some suggestions I'd recommend Paul Gilbert. He's one of the top shredders, but mroe importantly he's a great teacher. Check his lessons here and on youtube, and look at the songs "Technical Difficulties" and "Scarified". Don't be intimidated by his playing! Just give everything a try

+1 On the whole try things you can't play thing. Definately makes you a better player.You are probably better than me, but still, I have been palying since march and I can play about 70% of James Hetfield's line in Master of Puppets. The other 30% is just refining it and the harmony solo.

Also, whnen you say you are self taught, did you practice scales and or theory or not at all? Were you more into playing songs, or say, learning technical shizz?Don't worry if you didn't, I just want to know

Also, don't rely on scales

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSaTAGsIBEI&feature=related
Last edited by Lollage123 at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by SilverSpurs616

he is most definitely one of the best teachers from guitar world columns to videos, he is able to convey his thoughts well.
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
You can not play fast before you have total control and accuracy when playing slowly. Speed comes from control and accuracy, not from trying to play as fast as possible. Also, speed does not come overnight, you can't really practice getting faster, it'll just grow on you. Now, I'm not the fastest pplayer ever, but I know, from experience, that when you start something slow and build up the speed gradually, you will nail it a lot sooner than when mindlessly trying to play it as quickly as possible.

As others have said, listen to your favourite guitarist or just well known shredders, I'd recommend John Petrucci and Paul Gilbert. I get most of my stuff from them. Just study them and watch instructional videos.

Then, you must learn scales and modes, and know what they are, how they work etc. in order to create your own "super-fast solo's". But remember, practice makes perfect, and start slowly.
I think I ought to mention also that I myself have often made the mistake (and still do!) of trying to play a song I'm learning at the original speed. It almost never works with fast or technical stuff, and as someone else mentioned it really is best to start learning it slow.

For example- if a song is played at 120bpm, try it at something like 70/80. Once you can cleanly and accuratley play it all, raise it by 10bpm. That may seem a small difference, but only through taking baby steps do we learn how to walk.
raise it by 10bpm.

Raise it as little as possible - on some metronomes, that is 4 bpm, on others 2, and on some, 1. But either way, raise it only a little bit.