i just got a 6505 combo and i love it to death, but well, its a bit loud. decent attenuators are expensive, and to be honest, i dont even know if the speakers are plugged in by a jack or hard wired (i never opened the back). are there any other options? i put an eq pedal in the fx loop and set all eq bands on +-0, but the volume low, and it seemed to work ok, but it only has a +-15 db capacity. would a volume pedal in the fx loop work? im not worried about having the speakers not pushed, cause at the volumes i usually play, they arent being pushed anyway. is there a wattage switch mod or something that can be done to this amp?

-basically, i need my amp at lower volumes, preferably without an attenuator....help?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
you can pull power tubes. Pull two power tubes and cut the impedance in half I think it is. you can reamp, but I think that's even more complicated then attenuating
Two Words. Power Scaling.

http://www.londonpower.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=7&osCsid=70773b698e3e1acbf00b377fdae7fca1

Allows you to Drive the amp to make it louder than it is or quieter.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Last edited by kylendm at Aug 1, 2009,
iv read some places that pulling tubes can damage the amp...so i def wana do a lot of research and advice before doing that, but its a possiblity.

those kits seem pretty cool, but a bit pricey, especially cause id have to pay to have em installed, but ill read up on em. thanks.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Pulling tubes will not make a huge difference to the volume (only 3db). Will be quieter but not by much.

Attenuating the signal in the FX loop doesn't work either. It will make the amp quieter, but will not drive the power tubes which is the opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

Try this: with the EQ pedal in the effects loop, set all the sliders to middle, except the volume which you set to max (if you need more saturation, put all the sliders to max.). This will drive the input of the power section harder, giving you more power tube distortion. You should be able to tame the extra volume you get from this with the master volume.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
There's only three ways to get better tone at lower volumes TBH:

1. Volume Box in FX Loop

Doesn't help the power valve situation, but allows you to push the preamp valves more by acting as a master volume in the fx loop

2. Attenuation

Adding a device that converts some of the amplitude/power into heat so that you get the dynamic response of the cranked power valves at lower volume. Heavy attenuation loses treble and low end though.

3. Reamping

More complicated, involves sending the signal from the cab out into a load box, out of it's line out, into a second power amp and into the cab. Allows minimal tone loss at virtually any volume.
Reamping: You run your amp into a load box of some sort (in lieu of the speakers) with a line out, some attenuators have line outs and many companies make dedicated load boxes for this and other purposes.

You then run that line out to the input of a clean power amp (I use a crate power block, it's cheap, loud, and clean) which then drives the speakers. You basically use the SS amp as a master over the entire tube amp, meaning you can dial the tube amp in at whatever volume sounds best and control the final output with the SS power amp. The EQ on the power amp can be used for final tweaking of the tone.

Sounds crazy, but you can get minimal tone loss even at very quiet volumes. You'll still miss out on the sound of pushed speakers, but that's not necessarily a problem.

That's reamping in a nutshell. You could set up a reamping rig for about 150-200 dollars depending on how cheap you can find a power amp (rocktron 100 is good, crate powerblock is also good, 100-125 used) and whether you buy or a build a load box, a used attenuator could also work and also be found cheap. I've done just an attenuator (on three different amps) and the reamping and if you're going for bedroom volumes the reamping works much better.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
so it goes

6505 line out -> load box/attenuator -> ss power amp -> 6505 speakers

?

then i can crank the 6505 as loud as i want and just use the power amp volume as a master volume?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
No, like this:

6505 speaker output (where you'd connect speakers) -> load box line out -> Power amp -> Speakers

The load box has the line out. You could use the line out on the 6505, but you'd skip the power section which wouldn't defy the point of the whole thing.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not