Hey guys, back when I first started playing guitars i was against fender mainly because of strats, but now i'm starting to like them specifically the '72 tele deluxe. I am thinking of getting rid of my epiphone sg for the tele, cause its just worn out. The tone of the guitar has just died. I was also planning to transfer the emg's to the tele and vise versa and then sell the epi. So I was wondering if it seems like a good change seeing as the build of the guitars are completely different. The genre's I like to play are rock, metal, reggae, and a bit of blues.
SG Commando #8, PM YOUNGBLOOD to join
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-6
Waiting On Vox VT15 or VT30
Tone doesn't exactly ''wear out'', but alright.

If you like the tele deluxe, keep the pickups in it. It'll sound completely different with a the set of EMGs, and it won't sound like a Telecaster. Keep the pickups in it if it sounds good now, no reason to throw some actives in a Telecaster.

I don't think EMGs really suit your genres well either. A good PAF pickup would be better than active pickups for rock, reggae, and blues. With metal you can get away with normal humbuckers too. I'd suggest keeping the Telecaster how it is if you like the tone.
I beleive the tone dying has to do with the beating the wood has taken over 3 years. I pretty much beleive that I wasted money on the Emg's now, but what if I were to swap them into my Ibanez? They still have stock pickups, but playing megadeth and metallica on it doesn't sound right when I use it with my DS-1 even on a proper amp.
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-6
Good Good Good, go to fender. Well I mean yeah EMGs will defeat the tele twang it is known for. Gibson PAF is a good pickup especially for the rock and blues part.
"Member of the UG Pink Floyd Fan club PM stonegolem13 or nick dixon to join

love The Evil Dead films? Join my group: http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/boomstick/

Quote by pepsi1187
not to mention herbert from family guy will touch you in your sleep
I agree with keeping the original pickups in the Tele. Where are the pickups you had in the SG to begin with? Toss those in and sell the guitar. Then if you don't need the EMG's sell them separately for more money.
What exactly will my tele sound like if i put active Emg's in it? Any sound samples that could give me an idea?

EDIT - to mattvl - they were just sitting around my house so I gave them to a friend who needed them way more than me.
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-6
Last edited by RiFf_RoCk3r_24 at Aug 1, 2009,
Jim Root from Slipknot has an EMG equipped Tele

Jim Root Tele

I agree with the others though. I would put the original pickups back in the SG and sell it if you don't think you'll use it anymore. Keep the original pickups in the Tele and do like you said and put the EMG's in the Ibanez, or else save them for another guitar.
Thanks for the advice guys, the only issue I have is that i need a cheap pair of pup's to put in my sg seeing as I sold the old ones.
Dunlop Original Cry Baby
Boss DS-1
Boss DD-6