Hey everyone,

I currently have a 2002 Squire Strat, and am running through a Peavey 30Watt Vypyr.
The amp is brand new, and I am loving the tones it produces. I've been playing too long to be seen with a only a Squire. I've been waiting, and waiting to get rid of this Squire guitar for years.

Though, the other day I was thinking. Since the guitar is made out of Alder (From what MusiciansFriend.com tells me) and a normal Fender is made out of the same wood, maybe I should repair it. I realise that the quality of the Squire wood is cheaper than a Fenders but still. I would replace the Squire Neck to a used mint condition Fender Strat neck. I would replace the pickups, and pickguard. Also the neckplate.

Its either do all that, or buy a new Epiphone LesPaul Standard Plustop. Keep in mind if I do upgrade the Squire, I would have to pay my local store to actually install everything. I have no experiance in building guitars.

Thanks everyone!

Lifelines
RIGG:

Squier "20th Anniversary" Stratocaster
Yamaha FCX720SCA Acoustic
Yamaha Classical CM40
Peavey Vypyr 30 Amplifier
Those epiphones are good and since you have no experience in building it would cost a lot to do it by trial and error or pay someone else.
Quote by axethrower13
But you only die once, so you may as well experience it to the fullest.

Quote by ozzyismetal
Get her a goat. Bitches love goats.

Quote by Weaponxclaws
Plus, naturally I scream satanic rituals while unleashing the demon. It's a marvelous resurrection.
If you're gonna change so much stuff on the squier, you might as well get a new guitar. I would get the Les Paul and change the pickups on the Squier. Later changing the pickups on the Les Paul would be a good a idea too, so make sure you choose the one with a nice wood and body.

Hell, I have way more fun buying cheap guitars with good wood and pimpin them out than buying an expensive one all ready.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

I'm no modding expert, but if you're gonna turn it into a Strat, then you might as well buy an American Strat.

In my world, the color RED doesn't exist.

The system has encountered a fatal error [1809]: 'YourOpinion' var has no set value.
Well, here in Canada a new LesPaul Standard Plustop is a bit over 700$.

On eBay the necks are going for around 250$, and with the pickups a set of 3 Tex Mex pickups are only 80$. Or I could go for some Custom shop 64's for 150$. Plus the hardware i'm looking at buying is only 30$.

So i'm looking at paying 510$ with the costs of installation. I beleive.

Lifelines
RIGG:

Yamaha Classical CM40
Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to mention,

Instead of having the Squier logo with my old neck. I will have a Fender Logo. I hate it when i'm gigging, alot of newbie guitarists judge you on what guitar you use, and not the music. I try not to worry about it, but I always do :P

Lifelines
RIGG:

Yamaha Classical CM40
DOUBLE POST DOUBLE POST! LOLZ

hah im messing around...

Anywho- the Les Paul and Strat are two different animals. Which one would you prefer? The work you are suggesting on the Strat is a big project to undertake. As for worrying about the logo, don't worry about it- if its a hot rodded guitar it'll be "uniquely" yours... and you shouldn't care what other people think
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
tbh, i bought all the parts for my strat copy and did it myself and it was totally worth it. I bought lace sensors and a neck for 150, tbx tone control, new neck plate, pickgaurd, knobs and tuners, nut. Did it all myself; i had never worked on a guitar before. I broke the neck at one point, just had to slow down, glue and clamp the neck sand the nut a little better and i was good to go. Do it yourself save some money and look for a cheaper neck. This forum has all the info you will need.
~Defiant~
I would buy the LP and new pickups for the strat, then you have 2 good guitars, and one with a good name for your image .

I have a Squier too, and today I bought my second guitar, an Epiphone Korina Explorer and hell! I'm happy!!! (And there isn't even Gibson on it, but its still way better than showing up with a squier )
Mesa/Boogie Road King v1
Marshall JMP 2203 '78
Vox AC30 H2 Heritage HW
Fender Deluxe Reverb '65 RI
Gibson Les Paul Custom '57 Historic RI '05
Fender American Vintage '52 RI Telecaster '02
Fender American Vintage '62 RI Stratocaster '07
Last edited by RMB at Aug 1, 2009,
For the longest time, I hated my Strat and couldn't wait to get rid of it and I had tried a few LP's in the past and had loved them. I got a new amp, and said to myself "Wow, this is actually a pretty good guitar." The Fenders in the store, sound amazing. As do the LesPauls.

I can't say I have a favorite between the two. 50% of my influences use a LP, and the other half use a Strat.

I'm really not sure what to do at this stage.
RIGG:

Yamaha Classical CM40
Again, a doublepost. I'm getting bad :P.

If I choose to go with the LesPaul, I would be selling the Strat.
RIGG:

Yamaha Classical CM40
Quote by LifeLines
Again, a doublepost. I'm getting bad :P.

If I choose to go with the LesPaul, I would be selling the Strat.

There ya go- you willing to do that should tell you that maybe its time for a LP
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Your right. Why upgrade something with cheap wood, when I can get a brand new Fender MIM Standard Strat for less!

Thanks guys for all your answers. Its time to sell the seven year old Strat.
RIGG:

Yamaha Classical CM40
Quote by LifeLines
Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to mention,

Instead of having the Squier logo with my old neck. I will have a Fender Logo. I hate it when i'm gigging, alot of newbie guitarists judge you on what guitar you use, and not the music. I try not to worry about it, but I always do :P

Lifelines
You know what I hate? When people have no pride in what they own and pretend to have something they don't. Who cares if it's a Squier? Most people who are worth your time will be there for what they hear, not what they see.

Don't be a poser.

Well man, my main guitar is from a unknown, now non-existant, company called Walker. They made handmade guitars with great woods but didnt make it cause people read the logo and compared them to korean ****ty brands.

Anyway, i pimped my guitar with a Lace sensor and two Swineshead pickups and did my own kind of wiring. Point is, now i have a great guitar with my own touch and it screams beautifully in concerts. If you make your squier your own(maybe even do a crazy paintjob), no one can say anything.

So I told this boring story to tell to not worry about the brand. But I think there's no point in customizing it so when you can buy a real Fender for cheaper. Just think well if you want to have a strat or a les paul, try them out alright.

EDIT: Here in Brazil squiers are, as bad as they are, thought of as intermediate-low level guitars. So you get the point of how crappy one can think my guitar is before hearing it.
"...I cried. Just for a second. Then I thought, 'I must rock.' "
- James Iha

Rock on y'all!

Last edited by Calvero at Aug 1, 2009,