Page 1 of 3
Hey guys

I've found that I can do black guitar picks with pretty much any white line design on, an I can make them fairly (extremely) cheaply and sell them pretty cheaply to (or at least cheaper then other companys can) so I was wondering
A) how much should I sell them for (the plastic I make them from costs me 30p a sheet and I can fit about 80 on
B) what would be a good business plan for it?

Cheers guys
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
Last edited by Robbo1422 at Aug 1, 2009,
EDIT: First of all, remove "C)" because it interferes with the rules of the forum.

I'm not really sure how you'd profit from making "custom" picks with just a white line design on them, I wouldn't expect to be able to sell the picks as an effective means of making money.
i think your best bet is first of all make a couple sheets worth and have guitarists try them. maybe give some out at local music shops and tell them to give them away to their customers. something like picks you have to be careful that you don't get into it and find out nobody will actually want them. if you find that people like the material and the feel of them the music stores might consider buying some with their logo/name on them from you and you can move from there.
Well at the moment I've given some to Friends and given some to the school music department and the feedback seems to be good so far. I hadn't thought about music shops though, so thanks for the input
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
not to burst your bubble or anything but custom picks are already cheap and they come with more options than black with white text. if you are considering marketing this as a business you might want to open up the color palette a bit.
I'll look into it, cheers
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
totally out of topic...but your signature says you have/made a tele junior build with P90s, and I'm curious about it, any pics or a thread where you posted it?
"Terrible wars have been fought where millions have died for one idea, freedom. And it seems that something that means so much to so many people would be worth having." -Andrew Martin (Bicentennial Man)
Quote by Robbo1422
Well at the moment I've given some to Friends and given some to the school music department and the feedback seems to be good so far. I hadn't thought about music shops though, so thanks for the input

definitely make music shops your focus, there's only so much you can make selling a product to friends
^What he said, plus ebay. Sellind customized picks seems to be a nice little niche market on ebay. If you could get them with a good custom grip on them, I'd even be interested in them.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
If you could make a pick that feels like a tortoise shell (real tortoise shell) and feels like a fender medium, I'd buy a dozen or so.

Which brings me to this point: are you going to sell them one at a time? Packs of a half-dozen? Dozen? You gotta maximize your profit while minimizing expense. You aren't going to make as much selling them for, say, 10 cents a pop. Instead, you could sell them for 75 cents a half-dozen, or 1.25 for a dozen.
$1.25 a dozen would be a good enough deal for me to some. I pay 50 cents a pick for Jazz III's and Tortex's as it is.

Those were just random figures. tbh I've never paid more than 15 cents for a pic. I have a stash of really old Fender pics, 3 medium, 4 thin, and I used to have a heavy. lost it tho. Fender medium ftmfw.
also, you need to have more than one gauge of plastic. No one wants to be stuck with whatever you have and nothing else; I love 2mm picks. at that point, you would also have to bevel the edges of the pick, much like a big stubby (love those things!!)
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Quote by Emoishboy
also, you need to have more than one gauge of plastic.

+1
that is something that you NEED.
if not, you have less people that want your product.

i like .60 dunlop nylon picks, but ill go lighter/heavyer depending on what i wanna play.

so have anything from, idk .10 (is that posible? ) to 2mm, or more!
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
I agree with you need more colors and thicknesses.
But if you will sell me a dozen with the word "Crow" written on them I will buy them, always happy to help out a fellow UGer.
I use cut up credit cards that have been sanded a bit for grip if i want a strange shape

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
good product does not equal a good business. Also this is already done by huge companies that could make a profit at 1p each..

so unless you can get bulk orders for a million picks each time, there is no money here.... and no business.

But you could experiment with picks, find out what is nicest to play with and you may be able to make a more expensive pick for a profit.
Plastic sucks anyway.
Look at using wood (ebony), metal, something like tortoise shell...

Personally I much prefer thicker picks. The curved/beveled tip gives much nicer tone and more control on it.
Also better grip
You can carve a design onto it, far nicer than painted stripes...

My first one was a soft metal. This has the awesome ability for the tip to shape to suit how you play. Solder works well for this.

Aluminuim and steel suck for picks, most are made from this, gives a scratchy noise becuase its harder than the string.

Ebony wood is said to be good for picks. I will have some spare after I make my fretboard, so Im going to try it.
For a business idea, a £6 fretboard blank should fit 200-300 picks, sell for £1-2 each.
Last edited by Kramdra at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by DarkLordArthur
totally out of topic...but your signature says you have/made a tele junior build with P90s, and I'm curious about it, any pics or a thread where you posted it?

Sure, go on the searchbar an type robbo1422 tele build an it's there
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
The way it worked at my school was that I simply made some misc design picks and sold them for about 25p each, meaning after selling 2 I was making a profit. I can make about 80-90 off one sheet of 1mm polystyrene (which I think is ideal because the edges shape to how you play) which costs 30p per sheet. People could also get personalized ones providing they bought in bulk (I.e one sheets worth) for £5-£7.50 depending on the design complexity (simple things like names cheapest,images a bit more expensive and image + name/text being the most expensive. I will post a pic of some that I have made when I get home from my holiday so you guys can give me feedback.Unfortunatly I can't make any ATM as it is school holidays until the begining of September. I'll look into the grip idea, so thanks for that too.
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
I would be entirely willing to buy a sheet's worth, if you had more options than just graphics.

Quote by Invader Jim
Those were just random figures. tbh I've never paid more than 15 cents for a pic. I have a stash of really old Fender pics, 3 medium, 4 thin, and I used to have a heavy. lost it tho. Fender medium ftmfw.
ew. way too floppy. Fender heavy is the thinnest I'll use.

/pick-snob
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
I can't use anything thicker than about .70mm I tried out a thumbpick recently and kinda like it, though.

^bassists.

I'm actually thinking of buying a full set of finger picks, just to try them out.

Naw dude, bass, acoustic, and electric with fingers. I use a pick for the electric half of the time though. Fender mediums, or the orange Dunlops.

Robbo, is your material rigid, or flexible?
I can understand acoustic and bass fingerstyle, but electric would be awkward.

Lol atm I'm classing it as research, not threadjakcing and to bv310, if I made some finger templates, I could probably do fingerpicks as I could laser out flat ones (like a net) an then heat them and bend the around the mould.

EDIT: my picks are sort of on par with the medium picks, although I did find some gray plastic that was rigid at about .75mm, I could do with finding out what that was when I get back to school.
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
Last edited by Robbo1422 at Aug 3, 2009,
hey, i might wanna buy some if it dont cost to much to send over to australia!
would custom fonts be ok?

also, some pics of the picks would be nice... LOL
what is the grip? is there grip on them?
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
That sounds cool.

It's Brock, btw.

If you want the graphic ones so long as you give me an image I should be able to put it on a pick, so custom fonts should be ok.
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
It sounds like a nice idea.
You could easily make some nice money from it, nothing heavy like, but a bit in the pocket selling on ebay, and as you say you've been selling around school and made a profit that's a good start!

Assuming (with all this pounds and pence talk) you're in the UK I'm willing to buy some off ya at some point
i did promise pictures of some pics that i have done so far, an after a quick scout of my room, heres the ones i found. The only way i could get the detail on the pic was through scanning them with my scanner, not by taking picture. but heres what i found :

the edges do need cleaning up but thats the pic template not the cutter/plastic. it will be changed.
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
Who did you make those picks for?
Just thinking I met a guy at the weekend who called himself "mitz" and his name was Connor from around Bloxwich area...

They do look pretty nice though.
connors were made for the rythm guitarist in my band, an mitz is a girl in my school hu was part of the tesdt group
My Rig:
Fender Starcaster
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
the odd pedal
Last edited by Robbo1422 at Aug 25, 2009,
Page 1 of 3