Hello all, I'm strapped for ideas on which amp I should be buying, I'm upgrading from a cheap carlsbro which I have been using as my first practice amp since I first started playing guitar, and was looking for an upgrade. I've seen the Spider III 75 watt and was told it was quite good, however I would like to know if any of you know of a decent amp that would be suitable for metal / rock, ranging from bands such as Muse (Not metal ofc =P) to bands like megadeth and solo artists such as PG / Jason Becker etc.
I know this is obviously a broad description however im knew to actually spending somewhat expenses on amps and not sure where to start on a my first "proper" amp.
Also does anyone know of any methods in which I could connect the amp through to my pc such as a line 6 spider III?
If you know of any decent amps that I should take a look at please do let me know thanks!
hmm thats about 500ish USD right? you could get a decent amp for that much, I'd advise staying away from the spider, they are pretty low down on the modeller chain and aren't too great sounding.I'm not sure about a few of those bands, but a B-52 AT series is pretty good at getting metal tones IMO, not going to be great for the classic rock plexi or fender type sound though. Randalls in your range are pretty high gain, I recall getting some cool metal tones from one, the cleans weren't too impressive and again the lower gain/light OD type stuff isn't that impressive. Valvekings lack gain, but can still get megadeth type tones pretty well, especially with a boost. flextones will do everything ok, they're also made by line 6 and they will blow the spider out of the water. You should definetely go to your local stores and check out all the amps you can afford and pick one that you personally like the best. Classic 30s from Peavey are another good option especially if your in the case where you want a bluesy overdrive as well as you megadethish gain, you'll need a fuzz for some of the super heavy stuff, and some muse though.
Will you be gigging or not. Coz if not get a smaller tube amp tht will sound really good but without the crazy volumes for example blackstart ht5 or blckheart handsome devil(Handsome devil 15 watt could be giiged im getting on soon) Anyways if you are gigging in larger venus or need a lot of differant sounds rather than a very limited amount (without pedals) the flexitone would be better like suggested above. You could always consider micing up for recording.....

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

Gone digital! NI audio 8 into guitar rig and ableton live!

AWESOME!
Last edited by lewisg1 at Aug 1, 2009,
its probably alot less than 500 USD:P more like $350 to $400 probably

id stay away from the line 6 as the peavey vypyr would be a much better choice

and most modelling amps will have a line out
get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo lead then buy a 1/4" adapter plug the 1/4" into the line out of the amp and the 3.5mm into the line in of your computer
Quote by superfish1232

id stay away from the line 6 as the peavey vypyr would be a much better choice

and most modelling amps will have a line out
get a 3.5mm to 3.5mm stereo lead then buy a 1/4" adapter plug the 1/4" into the line out of the amp and the 3.5mm into the line in of your computer

Yer the peavey is seeming the best choice for his needs as tube would have been a lot more and for his recording needs this will be easier than micing up.

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

Gone digital! NI audio 8 into guitar rig and ableton live!

AWESOME!
laney LC15/LC30 depending on gigging needs
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
great reponses guys, well our band has disbanded temporarily so I probably wont be gigging too much just needed an amp for some recordings I was doing at home preferably line in methods rather than mic. I know my local has the Laneys but I wasn't aware the LC15/30 was a modelling amp?
I am seriously contemplating the peavy though from thomann.
I've heard good things about this amp and it's a fender tube in your price range.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-SuperChamp-XD-120V-Guitar-Combo?sku=483075

Granted you may need an OD pedal depending on what you're playing.
VOX AC15 Classic Combo
Gibson SG Menace
Parker p-42
AnalogMan modified TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss DD-20 Giga-Delay
Boss Compression sustainer
Maxon AF-9 Auto Filter Wah
the laney isnt a modelling amp, its full tube, which is better IMO
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.