I have begun build #2. It started off as a Jackson Kelly but has since mutated as I have gotten into it.

Specs:
Ash body with a Walnut-burl veneer on both top and bottom.
Recessed TOM
22 fret - Washburn neck that I bought off ebay w/ rosewood fingerboard and am trying to refret
DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge - undecided on the neck pickup.
Bone nut

Not sure on tuners yet.

Will try to post pics. I am sure that will turn into a carnal narrative.

The ash body

The walnut burl veneer.

Clamping the veneering

The brains of the operation.
Last edited by Rusty_Chisel at Sep 7, 2009,
I only screwed up posting on oic. Not bad. Here is the veneer.

Not much brains in that one other than a creepy ability to manipulate you for food.
It has been a while since my last post.

Here is the body after the veneer has been attached to both the top and bottom

I am also doing wood binding around the body. I got these nice strips from Home Depot. I think it is mahogany or something similar in color and figure. Getting the binding around the curve by the neck was interesting.

Picture with binding and body. I think the dog hair cover chair should be as good as the standard feet pictures.

At this point, I decided that the body looked too 2-dimensional. I ran my router around the top with a 11.5 degree chamfer bit. The slight relief is much more satisfying to the eye. I am now redoing the binding on the top. Hope to route the recessed TOM, control cavity and drill out the string-thru holes this weekend.
I kind of like the drastic horn, ill be watching this.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
I really like this build so far. Nice work!
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

i thought your dog was a reindeer for a second . . .

but other than that it looks like a backwards explorer, and i like it
Quote by Steve46
thanks alot ice condition!! your the breast!

The best bosom in all of UG.
Last edited by ice condition at Aug 14, 2009,
Quote by -MintSauce-

You know you want to.

except for the one where the leg goes. just on the top would look nice.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I have redone the binding on the top after putting a slight chamfer on it.

I am now trying to decide where to put the jack. I think that pitting it on the bottom edge with the chamfer probably won't look good unless I do a recessed tele type jack. However, my barely adequate drill press is set perpendicular to the chuck and I loathe the thought of having to rotate the table, drill and then set it back to perpendicular.

I am also thinking about a strat style jack. I think the chrome would bring some brightness/non-organic look to it since I am making Ash pickup rings and Ash/Walnut knobs that I will turn on my lathe.

Any comments or suggestions?
Do the tele jack, it may be a pain in the backside but if your doin the controls and pickup rings I think the jack should be hidden instead of havin a big fob off silver jack on the front. And black hardware to

But thats just me. Awesome build mate
My Rig:
American Standard Telecaster
Fender Starcaster
Sp. Edition Jack Daniels Strat (Modded)
Vox AC15CC1

Stuff I've Built:
Telecaster Deluxe
Telecaster Junior
Pedalboard (from a shelf )
the odd pedal
NIce build, bro. Stickied.
Quote by AcousticMirror
Is my album list pointing a gun or a penis to your head saying buddy this thing is going to unload if you don't listen to the whole damn clip??
I've never liked the Strat jacks; I feel like they take up too much unnecessary space, and can make the guitar look too "crowded". If you don't want to put a jack on the side, there are other options, like an SG style jack. I also saw a custom guitar recently with the jack on the back of the guitar (somehow it wasn't in the way when I played it sitting down).
done some more work. getting close to putting a finish on it next weekend.

I screwed up drilling the holes for the string through portion so I did an ash inlay to cover it up on the front. Here is the cutout.

Here is the inlay

Pickups routed and the recessed tom. I am putting a veneer of walnut in the recess for the tom. Upper horn is covered with mineral oil to get an idea of how it will look with a clear finish.

I took the advice ad did the tele jack. I needed the recess to be angled so I put some plastic wood in the recess. you can see the wax paper sticking out.

I am finishing the pickup rings which will be ash and walnut and the opposite of the zebra pickups I am putting in. I also need to turn the knobs on my lathe next weekend also.
Looks really good!

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
looks awesome!
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
I have to admit that I was pretty skeptical, but this will look fantastic once it's been oiled/lacquered and buffed.

The ash diamond looks kind of nifty, too. It would be great if you could get some diamond inlays on your neck, so it looks like it was all planned.
Your dog looks like a reindeer. I love it.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.