I've seen quite a few people do it but most famous are Kirk Hammett and Jim Root - why do people tape up around their knuckles on their picking hand?

Apologies if this is a dumb question but i have been wondering for awhile now...
Bass....How low can you go?????
Quote by Guitar World
[Question] There have been many theories spread on the Internet about why you tape your hands. So once and for all, why do you do it? --Jerry Glass

If you look at the side of your hand, right below your pinkie, you'll see there are some wrinkle lines. At least there are on my hand... [laughs] Because of my playing style, I'm constantly hitting the strings and palm muting and, generally, beating up my right hand. Over the course of a tour, those wrinkles start busting open and bleeding. I put tape over the wrinkles so they don't break open and bleed all over my guitar, 'cause if a string gets in there once your hand is cut --wow!--that stings! Plus, it lets me play faster since it reduces drag between my hand and the strings.

Once, when we were on tour, I looked out into the audience and saw a kid with both his hands taped up like mine. I was cracking up so much I had to give him a backstage pass. --Kirk Hammett, Guitar World, January 2006, 112.

So there you go.
Jim Root dosen't tape it, its an elastic for his hair.
To buy:

Line 6 MM4
Voodoo Lab power
Mesa Boogie Single rectifier
Done
Boss TU-3 Done
Shure SM58 Done

OUCH MY WALLET
Quote by riff.raff.93
hes cool

He's a good guitarist, fast.. Friendly guy..
Quote by Lollage123
Am I one of the few that actually like Kirk Hammett...?

Well, I like him to. He's a good guitarist IMO, I like his playing style.
Actually he is one of my favourite guitarists. And Metallica is one of the most awesome bands ever.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz