I'll start off by telling you im clueless about this sort of thing.

My birthday is coming up soon and i'm looking to by some nice effects as at the moment I only have a Boss MT-2 Metalzone (Yes, I know it is horrific and a terrible purchase, but at the time i was naive) and i'm looking to add something nice to my gear collection.

Should I stick with individual pedals, or get myself an all-in-one effects board that has it all? Bearing in mind i'm looking to record aswell and i believe the all-in-one option is just a case of connecting to my pc?

I'm using an Ibanez RG350 running through a Peavey Classic 30 amp. My favourite bands are Opeth and Metallica, therefore any tones similiar to those two would be highly desired. I believe Opeth use a Boss GT-8, Is this any good?

Any suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Boss Gt-8 will set you back a fortune(£280- £350)and if you want multi id go for the korg Ax3000g. This is really good but the distortion and OD on it seems to have a bad tone so you may need to consider some other pedals for these or just use the amps distortion and OD.

Ohh and dont go anywhere near cheap multi effects ( i got a G1) Ther avful and tone sucking.

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

Gone digital! NI audio 8 into guitar rig and ableton live!

AWESOME!
Last edited by lewisg1 at Aug 1, 2009,
Yeah i realise it will be expensive, i think its around £280. Would it be worth it however?
Ive seen the demos but never actually tried one although they do seem very good. Im only 15 myself and therefore dont have that sort of money( new tube amp first in a few months) so you should look at some reviews or ask some more clued up people here.

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

AWESOME!
BOSS ME-70, at least that is what i'm gonna look into. Tried out the ME-50 and it had some pretty awesome effects on it but a slight delay between channel switches, annoying since i knew that 0.25 seconds of silence wouldnt go down too well live switching from a ripping solo channel back to a chorus ridden channel.

The 70 has much more features that the 50 and the pause has also gone. Check out some youtube vids or something to get an idea
Quote by HolmesMonaco
the boss me-20 has been everything ive needed in a multi effects pedal . you may be looking for something more though. it has all the basics in the world of effects though, and nice sound.

the me50 is the next option if he needs an inbetween or me70

Edit ^^^ you beet me to it:P

VOX AC15VR
Vintage les paul

AWESOME!
it really depends on your budget and how many effects you are actually going to use. I have a vox tonelab le. Its decent but that didnt stop from buying a carbon copy delay. pedal boards are convenient and compared to buying all the pedals, cheap. but you sacrifice quality
Don't get a multi effects unless you need a ton of effects. The effects on them tend to be lower quality and it makes it harder to find a good tone. If I were you I'd find a nice distortion, OD, reverb, or delay pedal. They're the most "nessesary" effects IMO
I hate my sig
I'm not a fan of the GT-8. Had one. The distortion was fizzy, the wah sounded bad, and the univibe was crappy. Other FX are good but that wasn't enough for me. Digitech RP1000 would be a better choice. Or a GNX4 if you want drums, 8 track recorder, and MP3 backing tracks onboard.