I'm going to buy a white ibanez xiphos, and since it comes with ****ty black nickel hardware, i want to change it to black. Since im already buying a new guitar and an original floyd rose to replace the crap edge III, i wont have any money left to buy new hardware. Would it be possible to just spray paint the knobs, tuners and pickup rings black?

Here's a picture of the mods i have in mind for it.. since i know UG loves pics
Quote by R74NOGRADY
I'm going to buy a white ibanez xiphos, and since it comes with ****ty black nickel hardware, i want to change it to black.

you're changing black hardware to black?
Quote by Zugunruhe
for some reason this post makes me suspect theres something horribly wrong with you.

not that thats a bad thing...

...dont kill me.
shuolnt affect the tone, just try to make it a thin coat, not too thick and make sure you use some good paint,
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
so you want to take something black and paint it black? it wont get any blacker than black. it's about as black as it can get.

Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black.
Quote by noisefarmer
so you want to take something black and paint it black? it wont get any blacker than black. it's about as black as it can get.

Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none. None more black.

You stole my post
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
It would have to be special paint meant for metal.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Last edited by funkbass369 at Aug 1, 2009,
i think i like it better in the dark chrome
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
you could probably do it, a while wgo when i paineted my guitar i did the knobs too to match the guitar and there have been no problems with it at all
Quote by glam rocker
i think i like it better in the dark chrome

yeah that chrome looks frickin badass...kind of like a weathered look to it
Quote by Zugunruhe
for some reason this post makes me suspect theres something horribly wrong with you.

not that thats a bad thing...

...dont kill me.
Quote by R74NOGRADY
Do you think i could find some of that at walmart or home depot?

you could definately find it at home depot. I don't know if I'd paint the tuners though. The pressure from the strings might make the paint chip and come off. I'd atleast buy new tuners and paint the other things.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
yeah. i guess you culd paint the knobs. but i wouldn't paint the tuners. when tuning you might just rub the paint off.
Quote by R74NOGRADY
What are some good cheap tuners that i could buy? i dont really need locking ones since i already have a double locking trem.

tuners aren't too cheap. I think Ibanez uses angled headstocks so these will be perfect.
Click this link
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by R74NOGRADY
everyone knows that if you have a white guitar, you need black hardware

Or gold...
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Sorry but $50 is pretty standard for decent tuners. Especially tuners for an angled headstock.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by Invader Jim
What does headstock angle have to do with the construction of tuners?

I'm not entirely sure. The guy at the guitar shop I go to says it's got something to do with the string trees. I wasn't really paying attention. It may not have anything to do with it at all, but that's what the guy was talking about and those tuners say they are specially made for angled headstocks.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
The guy at the shop sounds like he's just trying to get yuo to buy something more expensive than you need.

The only (functional) thing headstock angle does is eliminate the need for string trees.
Quote by Invader Jim
The guy at the shop sounds like he's just trying to get yuo to buy something more expensive than you need.

The only (functional) thing headstock angle does is eliminate the need for string trees.

yeah I don't really pay much attention to him. He's kind of a douche. He's given me some decent advice in the past though.

to TS: No matter what kind of tuners they are you aren't going to want to buy cheaper tuners. It may seem like a good idea at the time but bad tuners can take the fun out of playing guitar. My nashville tele goes out of tune after playing a couple songs and it's hard to get back in tune. All in all I think the whole painting thing is a bad idea and you should just keep the black nickel hardware until you save up to buy decent black hardware.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by Invader Jim

wait...
no, they add a bit of sustain dont they? im sure :P
and they look 10x cooler.. imo.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Powder coating sounds complicated, so im not going to do that
I'm going to try painting the knob and pickup rings just for the hell of it. if it comes off, i didnt lose anything. then i'll just buy black ones. I'm not painting the machine heads though...
Quote by R74NOGRADY
Yeah or that.. Like matt heafy's old dean...

Or a Jem.
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Quote by funkbass369

to TS: No matter what kind of tuners they are you aren't going to want to buy cheaper tuners.

Cheap tuners are fine because the guitar has a locking nut. Stop going on about something you don't know too much about

TS, You can get black knobs and pickup rings really cheap. For those, I'd buy them

And also, spraying the bridge, tuners etc is not a good idea. You may clog parts and stop them from working. Oh, and the job you could do, is nowhere near as good as the factory job, not to be condescending...
Quote by supergerbil
Cheap tuners are fine because the guitar has a locking nut. Stop going on about something you don't know too much about

TS, You can get black knobs and pickup rings really cheap. For those, I'd buy them

And also, spraying the bridge, tuners etc is not a good idea. You may clog parts and stop them from working. Oh, and the job you could do, is nowhere near as good as the factory job, not to be condescending...

Yeah, that's why i said i wont need locking tuners, just some good normal tuners.

And im not spraying the bridge im buying a black original floyd to replace the edge 3.
Quote by metal-matt
wait...
no, they add a bit of sustain dont they? im sure :P
and they look 10x cooler.. imo.

Aesthetics isn't a functional aspect (unless looks are eveything to you) and no, they don't add sustain.

People go on and on about how the slightest thing will make or break a guitar, and for the most part it's all bullshit. Nobody stops to think about how noticable the changes will be to human ears.

I tend to be more realistic about things like that. Will a tilted headstock improve sustain? Maybe, but it WON'T be a noticable change.

Same with the bolt-on v. set neck debate. You can get just as much sustain from a properly made bolt-on as you can get from a set neck.
Quote by Invader Jim
Aesthetics isn't a functional aspect (unless looks are eveything to you) and no, they don't add sustain.

People go on and on about how the slightest thing will make or break a guitar, and for the most part it's all bullshit. Nobody stops to think about how noticable the changes will be to human ears.

I tend to be more realistic about things like that. Will a tilted headstock improve sustain? Maybe, but it WON'T be a noticable change.

Same with the bolt-on v. set neck debate. You can get just as much sustain from a properly made bolt-on as you can get from a set neck.

Yeah, people in the acoustic forum say that someting as small as a pickguard can dramastically change the tone of your acoustic. im reading this and thinking... bull****... XD i ended up paintint my acoustic and i cant even hear a difference.