You might remember me from this thread:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1156101&page=2&pp=20

In which my guitar was shocking me. I'm pretty sure i've discovered the solution (although i havent tested it yet)

but i actually had a similar problem while playing on my friend's amp. We both have the same marshall half-stack, and i was playing through a more reliable power source.

Whenever i touch the volume or tone knob, i can hear almost a static shock sound through the amp.

Is it my guitar? Is this a coincidence that both maybe have bad power sources? How would i fix this?

thanks in advance guys
oh and would it have anything to do with the wiring? or the fact that i have nickel pots?
Is it the plug? maybe your completing the circuit? but i have no idea what im talking about so listen to other people.
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
what do you mean completing the circuit?

This place where i've been playing the other marshall (same model but not my own) should have reliable wiring cus its a band rental practice space, but i guess you still never know

whenever i touch the knobs (which are nickel) i get the sound of static or a little spark. nothing too dangerous, but i can tell there's something wrong
The sharp shocking sound can come from your pots themselves. When knobs and the pots get dirty they make a sharp popping sound. Clean the pots and see what happens.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
ok, for cleaning the pots would i just unscrew it and clear out any junk that i find? (dumb question but better safe than sorry)

and can dirty pots cause any other electrical problems? cus i had a case (as stated in my last thread) in which i could feel the electric current in them...

Thank you for responding btw
Quote by KG Karnage
ok, for cleaning the pots would i just unscrew it and clear out any junk that i find? (dumb question but better safe than sorry)

and can dirty pots cause any other electrical problems? cus i had a case (as stated in my last thread) in which i could feel the electric current in them...

Thank you for responding btw

I dont recall my dirty pots ever shocking me, but like NY lotto, ya never know...

Anyway, to clean the pots unscrew the knob covers and go to town with a q tip. Cheaper pots usually get dirtier quicker, so try to maintain em.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

alright cool, thanks alot. i'll try it but would that cause it to only make noise when i touch it? it doesnt happen when i turn it or when im not touching it... only at first when i touch it

i'm not trying to be cynical but hopefully cleaning them would work
Quote by KG Karnage
alright cool, thanks alot. i'll try it but would that cause it to only make noise when i touch it? it doesnt happen when i turn it or when im not touching it... only at first when i touch it

i'm not trying to be cynical but hopefully cleaning them would work

hmm thats odd- try cleaning them and see whats wat

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

yeah it seems more of an electrical problem. its really annoying cus i've got a few shows lined up in 10 days and my go-to repair place is closed for two weeks

thanks for the help though.
It's an electrical problem for sure. Your guitar isn't properly grounded.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
hmmm thank you for the help. how would i get my guitar grounded? i'm guessing it'll have to be taken in but what would they do?
i didnt have this problem until recently either, is there any way to re-ground my guitar by myself?