Has anyone else had problems with these involving sustain? I've had one in my Jag-Stang for a while and i really wana play with the sound but it has horrid sustain. Not sure if it's how i wired my pickup or what. It doesn't matter if i use it with my D-Activator X or not the sustain is horrid. Any advice? =\

On a second note don't insult the guitar please?
too much or too little sustain?? either way, get a compresser sustain pedal (Y)
Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.
im guessing cause the hot rail is somewhat a high output passive pickup the sustain tends to break up due to being high output.....im just guessing though
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
i have one in my strat and i have the same issue. i always assumed its just because its a strat. or the fact that its a ceramic pickup, not alnico. so its not just u.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
I have one in my Strat and it's great. The Hot Rails has ceramic magnets which are pretty strong. The magnets could be dragging the strings down? You might try moving the pickup away from the strings. Raising the action helps too.
Quote by BobDetroit
I have one in my Strat and it's great. The Hot Rails has ceramic magnets which are pretty strong. The magnets could be dragging the strings down? You might try moving the pickup away from the strings. Raising the action helps too.

This.

Lower the pickup.
Quote by al112987
This.

Lower the pickup.

Wouldn't that effect both rather then just the hotrail or no? as in wouldn't the magnet pull effect the string regardless of which p/u i'm using?
iv lowered it pretty much all i can already and it did almost nothing.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
then it's very likely that the guitar itself just doesn't sound very good.
I lowered it and it did help it a substancial ammount but the wire is stopping it from going and lower so ima take it apart later and see what I can do.
Thanks =P
The Hot Rails has a very, very compressed tone. You're not actually experiencing a lack of sustain, you're experiencing stronger attack and faster note decay because of that compression; ceramic pickups like the Hot Rails will even out output to a certain point, but after a while, when the vibrations fall below a certain point, it will stop responding to them at all. So you'll have a note ringing out really well then stop very suddenly, as opposed to a normal alnico magnet based pickup where there is a more gradual fade off of each note.

In some guitars, the compression of a ceramic pickup actually helps the guitar to seem to sustain longer, in others it will make sustain seemingly worse. All you can do really is try to lower or raise the pickup until you find it's 'sweet spot', the point at which it seems to sustain the best, or change to a non-ceramic pickup.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.