I've been looking for a bass cab to get to use with both bass and guitar, and found a couple 4x10 cabs (Bassman 410 and Ampeg B410HE), but noticed that guitar cabs are usually 4x12. What difference in sound is there between 10" speakers and 12" speakers?
12 inch speakers have a fuller more warmer sound than what a 10 inch speaker does. plus a 12 inch speaker of course pushes more air so you get a more fuller sound than you would a 10 inch so there is the difference

ALSO a 12 inch speaker has more bass to it...think of it this way.... when your getting an audio system for your car or truck your gonna wanna put either 12s or 15s in them so you get more PUNCH in your bass..... you add tweeters and 6x9s for more of the highs. Thats how when a car slowly comes by with the music and trunk going boom boom booooom boomboom thats what causes it....a 10 inch will just lessen the effect of the boom......same aspect in the guitar speaker
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Last edited by heretic-clown at Aug 1, 2009,
bass will have a lot more response through 10", from what ive found (metal)

and more 'bump' through a 15 (anything else)

an old bassist guy once told me that him and his buddies or whatever where getting a 2x10 on top of 1x15, and it sounded pretty nice
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
bass will have a lot more response through 10", from what ive found (metal)

and more 'bump' through a 15 (anything else)

an old bassist guy once told me that him and his buddies or whatever where getting a 2x10 on top of 1x15, and it sounded pretty nice

from what you found is correct, on a bass a 10" speaker will thin the sound of a bass giving it less bump and thinning the sound making it more pleasurable to hear then just a BOOM.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
Quote by heretic-clown
from what you found is correct, on a bass a 10" speaker will thin the sound of a bass giving it less bump and thinning the sound making it more pleasurable to hear then just a BOOM.

no, the added response in 10s makes it easier to play like alex webster or les claypool, and not get a bunch of muck

and a 15 will give you more thump, being very pleasurable

honestly, you should try both, and both together, try the 12s, everything
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Aug 1, 2009,