Okay, so I played a Schecter C-1 recently and fell in love with the way it played. However, I discovered last night that it has active pickups (Duncan-designed HB-105's for the record). Anyway, I have a few questions on them:

-What exactly do they do to the sound? Do they add more distortion or what?
-Can they do cleans decently? I want to have a pretty versatile guitar?
-If I wanted to, could I switch one with a passive pickup?

Thanks in advance!
-they use a preamp inside the guitar to give it a lot of output, but still keeping it clean and sharp
-eh and no. the cleans are ok, but not great. actives are not versatile at all. they are mostly good for metal and usually only sound good through tube amps, but thats kinda it.
-no
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
You played it so you can answer the first two questions better than we could over the internet. For the third question, it is a very simple job to switch out from active to passive. Use the searchbar and you will find many threads on the topic.

there are alot of different versions of the C-1, many of which come with Seymour Duncan passives (Artist, Classic)
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
i thought he meant just switch ONE of the pickups. that u cannot do. and to switch to passive, i think u have to replace all the pots and output jacks.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
i thought he meant just switch ONE of the pickups. that u cannot do.

yes you can. not a hard task if you know what you're doing.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
yes you can. not a hard task if you know what you're doing.

can u explain or send me a link? i didnt think it was possibly but it could help me a bit...
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
sorry for the thread hijack.

so the passives and the actives need their own volume pot. im guessing the push is pull is just for coil split on the duncan. do actives need a special pot or input jack or could i just pop one in with a battery.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
the active needs a 25k pot, and you'll also need a stereo jack so the battery stops draining when you take your cable out.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
this is certainly helpful. i can really only afford one guitar atm and i like emgs, but not enough to be my main, so this certainly changes things.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
I have a schecter that also has the "Duncan designed active" pick-ups, and i like them they deff do not sound as good as active EMG pick-ups but they are still good. As far as the cleans go they are decent I've heard better but they are still very nice sounding.
Quote by TheLetheProject

-What exactly do they do to the sound? Do they add more distortion or what?
-Can they do cleans decently? I want to have a pretty versatile guitar?
-If I wanted to, could I switch one with a passive pickup?

Thanks in advance!

It's clear that some people here are a bit misleading with their information.

- Active pickups use a preamp (I'm pretty sure it's inside the pickup casing itself) to boost the signal. This creates a load for the preamp in your amplifier, causing it to push the amp further and get increased amounts of gain (I'm not sure how much of a difference it is, but i don't think it's a ton). The pickup design also cuts out a lot of noise if the pickups are installed properly.

- They are decent if you have a good amp with good cleans, but they are not great. Depending on the pickup, they may be more or less versatile, but active pickups are generally not the first choice for versatility. Duncan Designed pickups are also not that great, so don't expect much from the stock HB's.

- Yes, but as said before it is difficult to wire and i would recommend changing both of the stock pickups to some good passives.
Okay, I see. Because the active pickups themselves are not powerful enough to...do whatever, there's a preamp installed in the guitar to power them. Therefore, they push the amp more. I don't need a particularly sparky clean tone, so I'll just keep the actives in the guitar. Perhaps I'll eventually replace those with better actives (maybe a Blackout and some EMG). It seems like it'd be a lot of work to convert a guitar from actives to passives.
Quote by TheLetheProject
It seems like it'd be a lot of work to convert a guitar from actives to passives.

It's not really. You change the pots, rewire it like you'd have to do anyways and then ground it.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by STABxYOU
It's not really. You change the pots, rewire it like you'd have to do anyways and then ground it.

I've never had any wiring experience though. It must not be too difficult, though. And it would be good to get some pots better than the stock ones...

Nonetheless, I don't think I'd convert the guitar anyway, at least not for a long while.