Well, I have a slight problem
I kinda organize this band (not gona call myself bandleader or nothing, but I play lead guitar...)
and well...
My bass player ( a good friend, and awesome musician) is going a separate direction.
He is an amazing songwriter and pretty much half responsible for the output of the band...
I like to play alot of laid back, melodic things. Slow songs and kindof progressive stuff.
But he tells me he is bored by remotely slow songs. He also tends to hate anything remotely simple, but the thing is, we arent really ready for anything that complicated.
he writes these insane bass parts but has no idea how to fit them into the song...
I think the thing is he is an OUT of this WORLD pianist and he tries to carry all that over into bass playing.
Im into kindof indie music and a speckling of other rock tunes, but he likes bands such as avenged sevenfold...as well as many bands in common with me
I just really dont want to go in that direction (not to say that I dont want some heavy sounds...gawd no...)
Him leaving is out of the question
so i need to figure out what is gona happen...
From what you just said, i really don't think the 'ideal' situation is you both being in the same band together.

maybe you should get together and discuss a comprimise?
Him leaving his out of the question? Does he feel the same way about that?
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
try to apply those awesome bass lines to your style of music, it may be a challenge but would prove interesting!

if your struggling trying to apply chords or what not to the lines, simply disect it and figure out what notes are being played
He says he REEEALLLY enjoys playing with us and he wouldnt consider leaving...
He just doesnt really like the music i write.
I mean
hes not the only one.
but i dont think EVERYONE thinks that.
Ok, well, he should know how to play whats best for the song and can probably do that. Its just nice to show some flare.

Anyway, does he have a problem with being the stand behind the bass amp root note playing bassist? It could be like ... his phobia xD so he instead just plays complex lines to avoid that.

Anyway, a good bass player should definitely know when a song will sound better with either the root of a chord or the chord being arpeggiated so maybe tell him to work on that? Piano and Bass sure can hold different and similar roles so he should just learn how to use both and it should work out for the best.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
hahahaha
thats exactly what it is i think
whenever we play a slow song where he is required to play the root notes
he sits there and sticks his tounge out and makes a face...
I guess he really doesnt like "soft rock"
Im trying to convince him that we can combine soft passages and heavy loud distorted sections
His favs are like Buckcherry RATM, RHCP, Bush...etc...
I mean i have absoultly nothing against that but hes pretty set on that
Quote by zeCarneybarker
hahahaha
thats exactly what it is i think
whenever we play a slow song where he is required to play the root notes
he sits there and sticks his tounge out and makes a face...
I guess he really doesnt like "soft rock"
Im trying to convince him that we can combine soft passages and heavy loud distorted sections
His favs are like Buckcherry RATM, RHCP, Bush...etc...
I mean i have absoultly nothing against that but hes pretty set on that

but even there,
if its a slow song, no one is forcing him to play roots, he could add quiet a lot of dynamic there by throwing in some good lines
Rhcp has a lot of quiet songs with great basslines. listen to Soul To Squeeze
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by Martindecorum
but even there,
if its a slow song, no one is forcing him to play roots, he could add quiet a lot of dynamic there by throwing in some good lines

exactly
the best part in one of my bands songs is when im just playing a slowed down version of the chorus clean but our bassist solos over the top so try things like that
also he could do root notes then at the end of phrases do fills that should keep it interesting
The main problem here is that the bassist thinks he's good. A good bassist can create an incredibly hard song with one chord in it. A good bassist can play a variety of genres. A good bassist would be able to identify chords that suit his bass lines and vica versa.

But he's not a good bassist.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Everyone in the band needs to make compromises, from time to time, so you can work well together. Otherwise you won't work as a band.

With my bassist I show him the root notes and encourage him to add his own ideas.

If he writes something I pretty much do the same, I'll find the scale he is using and work out some chords or a lead line. If it's a crazy bass line I usually start with chords and once I get a feel for it I add other little ideas.
Quote by AlanHB
The main problem here is that the bassist thinks he's good. A good bassist can create an incredibly hard song with one chord in it. A good bassist can play a variety of genres. A good bassist would be able to identify chords that suit his bass lines and vica versa.

But he's not a good bassist.

WIN

...the double suicide suggestion might also work for us, er, you... I meant you.
You appear to have found an amazing bassist. A very rare thing indeed (not that bassists are crap, it's just that there are so few out there nowadays, at least in my area.)

If you end up letting him go, then I curse you with 1000 years of bad ju-ju.

anyway, either let him go or you yourself need to start getting into faster stuff.
It doesn't have to be heavy or anything, just more up beat.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄