I believe the Stringray is better by actual fact.
I think the Sterling is just supposed to be a lower quality Stingray so that it's affordable.

I haven't played the Sterling long enough to really get a solid opinion though.
Pretty sure the Stingray, I think the Sterling is just a cheaper version of a Stingray.

I think...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Are you talking about the Sterling bass, or the Sterling by MusicMan bass line?

Sterling bass: http://www.music-man.com/instruments/basses/sterling.html

Sterling line (Ray34,35 and SB14): http://www.sterlingbymusicman.com/main.html?dir=basses

Bass pr0n of ray34 and review http://www.ernieball.com/forums/music-man-basses/37963-sterling-music-man-ray34-review.html

I have heard that the sterling by music man are of comparable (as in really damn close) in setup, QC and feel to the music man ones. And they cost about $400ish less. I want one...
Quote by anarkee
No question, Stingray. Its like comparing a MiM to MIA Fender.

How so? I checked the prices on musicians friend, and they were about the same.
People here are confusing the Sterling by Musicman and the Musicman Sterling. The Sterling by Musicman area series of basses similar to MIM Fender, in that they are a budget version of the American basses. The Musicman Sterling differs from the stingray in that it has Ceramic magnets in its pickup(s) as opposed to AlNiCo, a smaller body and a different preamp. Neither of the Musicman basses are better, just different, but the Sterling by Musicman are a lower level bass.
Quote by LordBishek
Vibrators, Schmibrators. They can't ignore my girth.
Quote by anarkee
No question, Stingray. Its like comparing a MiM to MIA Fender.

Tam, I think he meant the actual MM Sterling bass, not the Sterling by Music Man bass line. TS, the Stingray is slightly larger in both the body and neck and doesn't sound quite as aggressive as the Sterling. Not that the Stingray is a mellow bass though. It has to do with the pickups, one uses Alnico and one uses Ceramic. I also believe the switching options may be different. If it were up to me, I would choose the Stingray. The neck is very P-bass like, whereas the neck of a Sterling is more comparable to a Jazz.

EDIT: Also, what the post above me says
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
if would say the sterling

i played a 5 string stingray at the store and i instantly hated it

but the sterling is a lot more smoother
Quote by caffbass
if would say the sterling

i played a 5 string stingray at the store and i instantly hated it

but the sterling is a lot more smoother

I dont get it...

The 5 string Musicman Ray has the same preamp as the sterling, which is the more aggressive MM.
Quote by LordBishek
Just try the basses out to see which one floats your boat more. As mentioned the main differences are dimensions and pickups. The sterling has ceramics and the ray has alnico. Think of ceramics being more bitey and alnicos being slightly warmer. Chances are you wont notice the differences in dimensions
Is it just the preamp from the Sterling on the 5 string ray, or the pickup as well?
Quote by LordBishek
Quote by identityxcrysis
I believe the Stringray is better by actual fact.
I think the Sterling is just supposed to be a lower quality Stingray so that it's affordable.

I haven't played the Sterling long enough to really get a solid opinion though.

what? you're an idiot, by actual fact. The sterling just has different body/neck dimensions, a phantom coil and coil tap. it's not cheaper or any lower quality than a stingray, and is actually more expensive. I'd actually rather have a sterling.
Last edited by budget bassist at Aug 2, 2009,
Ok I see my caffeine driven mistake.

Sterlings are a nice half way point between the Fender Jazz and a Stingray. Personally, Sterlings sound great but don't have enough heft and lack some of the significant punchy growl of a Stinger. Both are great basses and really its going to come down to which one has the sound and playability you are looking for. And try a Bongo as well--for all its odd body and looks, its a sonic smorgasbord.
Quote by budget bassist
what? you're an idiot, by actual fact. The sterling just has different body/neck dimensions, a phantom coil and coil tap. it's not cheaper or any lower quality than a stingray, and is actually more expensive. I'd actually rather have a sterling.

Chill. He was talking about the new Sterling that is a lower-class Musicman and cheaper than a Stingray. Whereas you were talking about the other Sterling (with different dimensions as you mentioned), the alternative to the Stingray, so to speak.
signature
wow what a debate, lmao. Especially the guy who hates the Stingray5 haha. I'm a stinger man myself (obviously). I own a Stingray5, black on black, Single humbucker. It's ****ing amazing. I like it better than the Sterling I played at the shop. Both are great basses, I can't imagine you being disappointed with either.
Can we please start distinguishing by Sterling by Musicman (henceforth SBM), and the actual Musicman Sterling?
Quote by LordBishek
Quote by Bullet-Rule
Chill. He was talking about the new Sterling that is a lower-class Musicman and cheaper than a Stingray. Whereas you were talking about the other Sterling (with different dimensions as you mentioned), the alternative to the Stingray, so to speak.

i know he did, but the OP was clearly talking about the musicman sterling not SBMM. Also people shouldn't make comments like that about things which they clearly know nothing. Rant over.
Quote by Brodie337
Can we please start distinguishing by Sterling by Musicman (henceforth SBM), and the actual Musicman Sterling?

seconded.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
seconded.

SBMM makes more sense to me, cos people refer to musicman as EBMM, i guess