So...I have written songs, and even though my band has liked them, I just tear them apart and try to build again with their parts. I think its because i have trouble putting emotion into my songs. Most of it is 4 chords with a basic strumming pattern and the same rhythm lyrics.

So once i finally feel pleased, I listen to the song "I Can't Stay" by the Killers and then I get depressed cause i know i cant write as well as that

so how do i refine my ideas, and make something amazing out of them that just blows me away. and so im actually pleased?

and how do i incorporate emotion into the song. I can do lyrics and stuff, but when i listen to my song, im just not impressed, even if everyone else is.

help would be appreciated
I once asked my guitar teacher this. I was about 17. He laughed at me, and it took me a couple weeks to figure out why.

If there was a formula, there would be no emotion. Personally, I write like a cross between Nick Cave and Tom Waits, with a little Ryan Adams and some Angry Irish thrown in. Doesn't work for everybody, but works for me. There are times when I would love to be able to write or sing like Billy Corgan or Chris Cornell, and get that distorted, high-energy scream going on. But even when I can sing in key (and I need to be having a DEAD ON night for Cornell), it just doesn't sound right. It's not me. I hate that I'll never be able to write the angsty songs I love like Bullet with Butterfly Wings or Man in the Box, but I write some damn good man ballads.

The easiest and hardest part is finding your voice. Find what you do better than everything else, and don't do anything but that until you've established a 'safe zone.' I still try things I know I'll screw up - but until you know what your strengths are, you're really just jerking around.

An exercise that helped me a lot was to find a poem you really like, and put it to music. I used Dylan Thomas' Do Not go Gentle into That Good Night, and it was pretty okay. Once I had an idea what worked for me, I also tried doing other songs 'my way.' Kylie Minogue songs a la Tom Waits were pretty funny for open mic, that's for sure.

But the sad fact is, you might just not be any good at writing. Or at least writing for yourself. Not everybody can do this stuff ... Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden both had lyrics from most of their best songs written by the bassists, and some of the world's best musicians like Keith Richards aren't any good at all without the right people to bounce ideas off of.

One of my favourite songs I wrote was back in college, when I was in a band with a female singer. She was sort of like Robert Plant, but way hotter. To this day, I hate playing that song. I wrote it, but no matter how I sing it it feels like a cover - and a much crappier cover to boot. And the worst part is, she was able to sing it all angsty like I can't!

Some people just don't have the gift. And some people have the gift, but don't get to use it themselves. Keep your head up man, and just try to carve out a place for yourself.
the first paragraph made it for me. very wise thanks, while it wasnt what i was looking for (a formula) this was actually very helpful!!
alot of emotional songs have to do with something happening to you or something you can relate 2 like a real emotional song is one sweet day by boys 2 men (idk if u listen 2 them or not) i know you were probobly expecting this answer but its hard for someone to tell you how 2 express your emotions but i hope it all works out
I find I'm the same as you, my lyrics lack sincerity. I think if you are creating something that you will never be able to do justice to how you actually feel. Like Brandon Flowers could hate "I Can't Stay" because he just didn't think it was good enough. Luckily for us when someone else hears a song and there is anything to latch onto emotionally, they generally will. In a nutshell even if you can't please yourself with your writing, chances are someone could look at one of your songs like you look at "I Can't Stay".

Hope I was helpful.
Quote by RichRman
I find I'm the same as you, my lyrics lack sincerity. I think if you are creating something that you will never be able to do justice to how you actually feel. Like Brandon Flowers could hate "I Can't Stay" because he just didn't think it was good enough. Luckily for us when someone else hears a song and there is anything to latch onto emotionally, they generally will. In a nutshell even if you can't please yourself with your writing, chances are someone could look at one of your songs like you look at "I Can't Stay".

Hope I was helpful.

**** man, you helped me and i didnt even have a problem.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^