hey guys.

looking into getting a few guitars, one is with the blackouts.

I mainly play metal but play other styles occasionally.

Just wondering if they actually have any other assets to them or if they are strictly for metal.

thanks.
Quote by Mad Marius
DBZ guitars, love'em. Especially their Les Piccolo model.
they are supposedly very versatile, but i played a guitar with blackouts and i didn't like them at all, i prefer EMG's way more (not as versatile, but i really only play metal, so i dont care)

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
they are supposedly very versatile, but i played a guitar with blackouts and i didn't like them at all, i prefer EMG's way more (not as versatile, but i really only play metal, so i dont care)

Allright what are some guitars that stock blackouts other than the schecter blackjack atx.
Quote by Mad Marius
Quote by SOADriff
Allright what are some guitars that stock blackouts other than the schecter blackjack atx.

Most of the guitars that come with stock blackouts now are signature guitars (although i wouldn't buy any sig guitar besides the rc7, i've played one, i dont care how ugly you guys think it is, it is the best playing guitar ever created, and i happen to love the graphics)

Ibanez Matt Bachand Sig
Ibanez Mick Thomson Sig
ESP Okkultist (ulgy as sin) Metal Blackouts

are a few i can think of

Schecter Blackjack ATX (as you already said)

Those are the only ones i can think of, but i dont really look for blackouts because i prefer EMG's

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
My experience with the Blackouts kinda turned me off of them.
I bought active pickups to get the metal 'edge', and the Blackouts didn't have it.
EMGs > Blackouts for metal, in my opinion.
But the Blackouts ARE more organic, and as such clean up better, and sound better at low gain settings.... again, my opinion.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
I don't have enough experience with emg's to say if blackouts are better or worse. But i have a set in my gio and i love them, they are very heavy but aren't like every other one trick pony high output pickup. Very versatile and great cleans.
I was quite impressed with the clean tone I get out of the neck BO. The bridge is great for metal but does lack in the clean department. They are great in the sense that how hard or soft you pick will REALLY effect the sound, more so than any passive pickup I have played.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
I would go for the new emg x-series. Suppose to be EMG's with more headroom.
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by bean-o
I was quite impressed with the clean tone I get out of the neck BO. The bridge is great for metal but does lack in the clean department. They are great in the sense that how hard or soft you pick will REALLY effect the sound, more so than any passive pickup I have played.

Thats great because i love to be able to put emphasis on certain notea and with emg's you can't do that. Honestly i have emg's in my hellraiser and i don't really like them, it sounds like someone has a pillow infront of the amp.
Quote by Mad Marius
blackouts are fairly versatile because of the more organic sound and because they clean up better. however i can think of more versatile pickups

EDIT: oh just read the first post better, if you only play other genres occasionally then the blackouts will be fine
Last edited by samlocke14 at Aug 2, 2009,
I have heard that Blackouts are more versatile than EMG's which is pretty amazing as my 81/85 can get any sound from '60's pop/rock to metal to blues to country. I don't play jazz but I'm told they can do that pretty good too.
Naturally, your amp will be the more limiting factor.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I've heard that blackouts bring out the nuances of the guitar wood more than their EMG counterparts, and that is important if you have an expensive instrument with high quality woods.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL