What will bad pickups sound like and what will good pickups sound like?
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
it's harder to tell thru a practice amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Well, they will not sound good to your ear. It's all preference to what sounds good and what sounds bad.
it's all preference
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
bad pickups sound bad. good pickups sound good.

thats like asking how to know the difference between good and bad food.
Geets:
Ibanez GSA60
Epiphone SG/LP custom
Schecter Damien elite 7
Fender Highway one Telecaster

Pedals:
Visual sound Jekyll and Hyde

Amp:
Peavey 6505
Marshall M412a cab
Peavey Classic 50

GO STEELERS!
Well, some bad pickups don't pick up anything, some buzz, some sound like mud... but if you like the sound of mud then its a good pick up, so yeah, if it sounds good then it is good.
How am I supposed to buy pickups then? Its not like I can just slap them on my guitar and try them out =/

If anyone wants to suggest some I'd like versatile ones that can handle medium to high distortion and gain (about 7) but with ok cleans (don't have to be great but ok at the least)

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
i like the kind that are saving for a new amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
<_< I'm probably overdoing it but I'm saving for a Marshall Halfstack. Just $20000000 more to go...

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
How am I supposed to buy pickups then? Its not like I can just slap them on my guitar and try them out =/

If anyone wants to suggest some I'd like versatile ones that can handle medium to high distortion and gain (about 7) but with ok cleans (don't have to be great but ok at the least)

get some P-90's
Just find out what pickups are good for the genre you are interested in playing. Find out what neck/body wood your guitar has.
Try to find stock guitars in stores with the same wood and the pickups in them you are interested in buying.
And play them through an amp similar to your own to get an idea of how they sound.
If you don't like them. They are bad.

If there isn't a name on them, they are probably bad compared to ones with names on them.

If they sound like utter ****, they are bad.
In my opinion, pickups are only good if they serve their intended purpose. You wouldn't play Jazz on a DiMarzio X2N, would you?
Through a good amp.

My Rig ;D
Ibanez RG550XX 20th Anniversary
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Crate V50-112 (Modded)
Roland Micro Cube
Lovepedal Purple Plexi 800
Lovepedal Pickle Vibe
Ibanez TS-9
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
by getting a better amp
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
You do it through a tube amp, solid state amps generally sound more or less similar no matter what guitar you put through it, you can hear a difference but it's easier through a tube amp.

Versatility is one, how does it handle gain, being split? Are the notes clear when playing chords? etc.
Quote by Guitar2theface
What will bad pickups sound like and what will good pickups sound like?

Bad and good, respectively.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by Guitar2theface

You don't need new pickups then, lots of people never need new pickups.

You don't buy pickups for something to do, or because it's what all the other cool kids are doing. You buy pickups when you can hear something in your tone that isn't to your likeing and you have eliminated all the other potential sources of the problem. Your not in that situation yet so you con't need new pickups, you'd just be wasting your money...they're usually the LAST thing you look at purchasing once you've got every other piece of gear you think you'll need.

However, because of all the information on the internet, because kids get obsessed over things, because of clever marketing and because of peer pressure every noobie guitarist seems to want to change pickups. It's simply not necessary, I'd honestly say I was playing 3 years before I could consistently hear the difference between humbuckers and singles ie without being able to see the guitar too , 10 years before I could finally pinpoint anything wrong soundwise that I could definitely blame on the pickups, and even then it was another 8 years before I actually bothered changing them. They're an extremely low value, low priority upgrade - if you change them it'll be for little more than playground bragging rights at the moment.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

You don't buy pickups for something to do, or because it's what all the other cool kids are doing. You buy pickups when you can hear something in your tone that isn't to your likeing and you have eliminated all the other potential sources of the problem. Your not in that situation yet so you con't need new pickups, you'd just be wasting your money...they're usually the LAST thing you look at purchasing once you've got every other piece of gear you think you'll need.

However, because of all the information on the internet, because kids get obsessed over things, because of clever marketing and because of peer pressure every noobie guitarist seems to want to change pickups. It's simply not necessary, I'd honestly say I was playing 3 years before I could consistently hear the difference between humbuckers and singles ie without being able to see the guitar too , 10 years before I could finally pinpoint anything wrong soundwise that I could definitely blame on the pickups, and even then it was another 8 years before I actually bothered changing them. They're an extremely low value, low priority upgrade - if you change them it'll be for little more than playground bragging rights at the moment.

GEAR LIST
Legacy Strat
Roland cube 15x
Starter Pack amp

GAS LIST
Fender HH Jaguar
Blackstar Ht-5
Quote by steven seagull

This is very true, but IMO, if you have weak ass **** pickups compared to a set of DiMarzios or something, even through a solid state amp, you will be able to hear the difference. But even then, it doesn't warrant a new set of pickups, a better amp will do so much more for your tone than the pickups will unless you already have the amp you want and need to alter your tone to your taste more.