Hey, all,

I recently picked up a used Ibanez Gio for 30 bucks. I got home, played the thing, and it was actually really nice, as far as feel goes. Sound... not so much. I decided, "What the hell, I might as well rebuild this thing from the ground up."
Here's the list of things to be done:

-Double-check fretwork
-install a lic. floyd rose OR block the trem OR replace with a hardtail
-new tuners? (Wilkinson EZ Lok?)
-Fill dents/scratches
-Refinish
-order active pickups (inc. pots and battery equip.)
-install new hardware,
-wire it up

here is what it looks like as of now:

EDIT: just so you know, this picture is not what the guitar I have looks like. This is a picture I found on the internet. I don't have any pictures of my guitar as of yet.

What do you all think? Any questions? Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks for readin'!
-AJ
Quote by conor1148
who cares if they're drawn,

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Epiphone Les Paul Standard+
Modded Johnson Stratocaster
Last edited by Emoishboy at Aug 1, 2009,
cool beans
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
I'm linterested to see how this turns out. I've got two Ibanez Gios. Though mine are wanna-be HSH RG/S types.
I prefer the feel of them to some of my friends more expensive guitars. Maybe its just what I'm used to, maybe not. Either way I'm planning on doing something similar this Christmas with one of mine. The difference is that I have a really nice finish that I want to keep and I'll just block the trem.
I do agree with the active pickups though. I'm assuming there made out of cheap wood, so it makes sense to get pickups that aren't effected as much by the wood type.

Are you doing anything along the lines of a locking nut? Or locking tuners and one of those slippery tremolo nuts? Might be a good idea for tunning stability.
I approve the list, though I'd have left the licensed floyd out of the list. Unless you really need that of course, otherwise it's kinda too much work for not that great result.
Last edited by Keskimaki at Aug 1, 2009,
Maybe an H/H/H combo? i have yet to see that on a Gio
Quote by Fzau
Wait.. you had sex thirty seconds ago and now you're in The Pit?
... you sir, are sick...

Quote by timeconsumer09
Quote by ThatGuy177
I can play bass.
That's not a useless talent.
It's just useless.

To be honest, you may as well put on an OFR instead of the LFR. It will be worth the extra money just to get the better parts/quality. Alternatively, Gotoh's LFRs are extremely reliable from what I've heard.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Thanks for the replies, guys

I've been wondering if the floyd is a bit much. My other choices are to either block the tremolo or replace it with a hardtail. Personally, if I was going to turn this guitar in to a hardtail guitar, I would probably go all the way and take out the trem.
If I do decide to do the floyd, I will be putting a locking nut on there because the tuners are fairly unstable.

Oh yes-
note that I will be using parts from guitarheads.net. I'm on a tight budget, and I wouldn't feel right putting extremely nice hardware on a 30 dollar guitar. Also note that I will be selling this guitar when I'm finished with it because I'm a left-handed player. I will most likely just add 50 or 100 dollars to the total materials cost as a guideline for a price.

EDIT:
What do you guys think of the idea of filling/rerouting so it has an HSH or an HH pickup config.?
Quote by conor1148

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Last edited by Emoishboy at Aug 1, 2009,
Don't do it man. Just look at what happened to my gio after i messed around with powers that were not rightfully mine.
I like the idea of doing a scallop on it... =)

Also, here's an idea that I'm going to throw out here-
What do y'all think of painting a white rose over an electric blue finish?
Quote by conor1148

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
I think it'd look cool, but not as cool as a Blue rose over a vintage-y cream finish, or a red phoenix on a cream finish.

Edited the original post.

Has anyone used Wilkinson EZ Lok tuners? From what I've read, they work decently well (Which is pretty much what I'm looking for.) Any opinions?
Quote by conor1148

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Hey, again,

So something I want to do with this guitar is paint the headstock the same color as the body, and then put 'IBANEZ' in a stencil font over the blue.
Something I realized is that this would hurt resale value. How /much/ would it hurt that, assuming I leave the serial number on the guitar?
Because I /am/ trying to sell this puppy after I finish it, which really is a shame. I would love to keep it, except for the fact that it's a right handed guitar...
Quote by conor1148

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Any modding from stock is going to decrease resale value.

Meh. That's life, then, I guess. Even if I would tend to think that that's complete bull****. =)

Have a sizzlin' day,
AJ
Quote by conor1148

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Quote by xMetalCoreKingx
Don't do it man. Just look at what happened to my gio after i messed around with powers that were not rightfully mine.

What the eff? Did you Effing bleed on that SHiz??
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
It's not worth a lot to begin with... I guess it won't hurt much. You're just doing this for fun anyways right?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Red paint, dude. Red paint. XD (woohoo sarcasm, right? =) )

Anyway, I do like what was done with the pickguard. And I'm thinking about doing scallops from frets 13 to 22 on this one.
When I'm done with this, I think I'm going to make a newbie/intermediate guitarist extremely happy. That's kindof the goal here... I'm actually hoping that I can get them to send me an email about what they think of the guitar, whoever buys it. Know what I can do better next time, yanno?

Rock on,
AJ

EDIT:
Yeah, I'm really in this to have fun and gain some experience doing new things and trying out products I haven't tried before.
I'm putting Guitarheads Active pickups in it, which I really took a chance on. I couldn't find any reviews or any non-professional sound samples for them. So we'll see. =)
I also ordered a set of Wilkinson EZ-Lok tuners, which I read are really good, as far as cheap tuners go. So we'll also see about those.
If I'm lucky, in the end I'll make fifty bucks off this whole deal. If I don't, then I'll break even, and I'm okay with that. It started as a thirty dollar guitar, after all. =)
Quote by conor1148

boobies

Gear:
Peavey Supreme 100W head
Crate 4x12 cab
Last edited by Emoishboy at Aug 7, 2009,