So currently I don't have an electric guitar to play since I sold my Epiphone Les Paul and I'm still waiting for my Schecter to arrive. All I'm left with is my sister's Washburn nylon-string acoustic, which she doesn't play. SO I figured out, "Why not go acoustic for some time?". However I've always played on electric and I don't know how to play on acoustics besides any knowledge I can carry over from electric guitar (I even rely heavily on a pick!). So, what's a good start for a electric guitarist to start playing acoustic guitar?
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay
Last edited by cxrlxscr at Aug 1, 2009,
Learn finger style picking and chords. I assume you're into metal from your choice in guitars. In that case, it won't kill you to branch out and learn some classical style fingerpicked stuff. It's really fun once you get the hang of it. Some of the best guitarists in metal (Randy Rhoads of Ozzy Osbourne fame and Kragen Lum of Prototype to name two) were classically influenced and classically taught musicians.
I've found that it never hurts to branch out and try something new.
Take Beatallica for example - they take lyrics from the Fab Four and put them to riffs similar to something the Four Horsemen would have used (generally in 4/4 time*) One might or might not enjoy the outcome, but I don't think anyone's ever tried that. Definitely take full advantage of having an acoustic to work on your technique - they are unforgiving unless you have a technique perfect.

*That's a terrible joke. Don't reuse it.
Thanks for the advice. Chords aren't a problem at all, that's how I started on the electric. The problem is finger picking/strumming and playing more mellow styles (classical, folk, acoustic blues...).
Wave goodbye to the past.
You've got your whole life to lead.

Fender 60's Lacquer Jazzmaster
Schecter C-1+ with SD '59
Egnater Tweaker 15
PolyTune noir
Algal Bloom fuzz
Fingerprint Redux fuzz
Nocturner reverb
Flashback delay