My 5 year old iPod finally gave in the other day, so I'm looking for a new mp3 player. I'ver heard that the newest generation of iPods have a poorer sound quality compared to the old ones. As for Zunes, I think they are grossly overpriced.

Are there any reliable mp3 players with at least 40 GB of memory besides the iPod or Zune?
~3.6 billion years of evolutionary progress have led to this post~
Nope. Don't buy a non-name brand. It will seriously fuck up. Every one I've had has.
Creative Zen.
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Seagull S6+Cedar
Yamaha Pacifica
Epiphone Valve Special
Boss OD-3
Boss DS-1
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Wah
Can't say i can think of any.

*edit - ^ this.
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
Last edited by vinc3nt at Aug 1, 2009,
Quote by Spydr
Creative Zen.

That's gonna be your best bet outside of the iPod and Zune.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Quote by Spydr
Creative Zen.

This.

/thread
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
yeah zen is your best bet they have great sound quality also. No itunes support though of course
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
You can never go wrong with a

By the way that was a joke...
Quote by brandon369852
lolworthy- classicrockboy WIN of thread.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
~ Jimi Hendrix

UG Backing Track Band
UG Rock Opera
Check out my songs for it

Currently e-single. Hit me up ladies
I'm reading literally dozens of customer support horror stories on Amazon about the Zen...
Quote by Reds3031
My 5 year old iPod finally gave in the other day, so I'm looking for a new mp3 player. I'ver heard that the newest generation of iPods have a poorer sound quality compared to the old ones. As for Zunes, I think they are grossly overpriced.

Are there any reliable mp3 players with at least 40 GB of memory besides the iPod or Zune?

Just wondering,

Since when does the device affect the sound quality? I wasn't aware it did. I thought it was just the audio format you had on there.
Well, I bought two of these. No, don't ask me why. Please just believe that I purchased two new 7th generation iPods - against the advice of the reviewer who obviously did some homework as to why the old units sound better, I might add. I looked at many forums and read from many people who think the new iPods, (6th generation and later,) have a poorer sound quality than their predecessors. Then I read from those folks who believe that yes, Apple changed the audio codec chip, and yes, several audiophiles have done some qualitative testing and the old units won, but nevertheless, the difference should be impossible to hear with the naked ear. Let me just assure you right now, it is not. The difference in sound quality between my wife's 5.5 gen 80 gig iPod and my two new 120 gig units is vast. Using the same headphones and songs, downloaded from the same computer, the new iPod sounds like listening to music played inside a tin can compared to the old one. For instance, in one song a drummer rakes his hand across some chimes and on the 80 gig, the chimes are crystal, distinct, and separate from all the other things going on at the time. On the new 120 gig at the same spot, the highs are all compressed into a jumble of noise with flat, tinny, cut off sounds. The chimes sound far off and suppressed. The list of music defacement goes on. I noticed this problem across all tonal ranges. So what did I do? I opened a case with Apple and made an appointment at the nearby Apple store. Yes, I lugged in my laptop and two of the iPods. At the store I synced one of their units to the same song and we went through all three iPods, my one new unit, my one old unit, and the store unit, listening to the same 30 or so seconds of song on each iPod over and over. And over. The results were clear... much clearer than the sound from the new iPods, I'm sorry to say.

from a reviewer on Amazon
Quote by Reds3031

Sorry, that's BS, it's just playing the Audio file, the only thing that could effect it is the headphones.
Quote by Spydr
Creative Zen.

this is what you need TS
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by Reds3031

I'm willing to bet he was listening through those **** ipod headphones but it's still something to think about.

I've got the new 120gb classic and I rip all my music at least at 320kbps and I'm listening through Sennheiser HD280 Pros and it sounds extra rich. Hardly any detectable loss in quality. Crisp highs, deep lows (not just loud lows like skullcandy headphones).

I'd factor out the sound quality issue if I were you. Also, don't rip cds with iTunes. Their standard audio format blows.
I may just buy another iPod then.
you can wait for the Zune HD. it's running an nvidia tegra processor which i've heard is pure secks.

besides, you may not really notice a large difference between the old and new ipods. you'd be looking at some really nice headphones to notice the difference.
Sent from my iPad.
^ the problem is that I need something ASAP, because I need to transfer all of my music from my old desktop to my new laptop before I go to college in 3 weeks.