Right now I'm going into sophomore in highschool, and recently practicing more guitar to tryout for the jazz band next year. Also today I went to my friend's house, who has a piano, and while my other two friends were playing gamecube I just felt so attached to the piano.. (I used to play pretty well when I was little)

So I just keep feeling like maybe I should just start seriously towards music as my future because it's what I enjoy most. I know people'd just say you wont make any money or what, but if I can't make myself a big star, (yeah like .01%, but who knows?) being a guitar/piano lesson teacher wouldn't be too bad, would it? I mean, I look at my guitar teacher, and it seems like he has a good time playing some gigs, teaching and stuff.

Well yeah, right now I have like straight a's or 1 B each semester and do some other stuff aswell and I'm pretty sure I'll be making a lot of money from whatever I decide to be. (excluding musician)

So from adults that had good future chances getting rich, but decided to be a musician, is it worth it?
Quote by Garret.
fortify your anus

you never know what could happen
Quote by happytimeharry
I just had an odd mental image of someone building up a fort around their asshole made out of Lincoln Logs.

Quote by sacred_silence7
it's cause you forgot to put in an extra hammer-on

MUSE FAN?!!
I'm not an adult (technically, I'll be 18 in September but that's still probably not what you're looking for) but I suggest that you continue for a mainstream job, and if you find that you are capable of becoming a piano/guitar teacher do it in your spare time for extra cash. Maybe start a band and play a few gigs, then see where it goes from there. The best that could happen is that you quit your boring mainstream job and rock out for millions of dollars per year, the worst that could happen is that you're stuck with a mainstream yet good-paying job. So really you can't lose.
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
You're only a sophomore in high school? Don't worry about what you wanna do when you're older yet. Just have fun, play in some bands and get good grades in school. Maybe one of those bands can go places someday.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by IMABBALLPLAYER
You're only a sophomore in high school? Don't worry about what you wanna do when you're older yet. Just have fun, play in some bands and get good grades in school. Maybe one of those bands can go places someday.
THIS.
私の名前はアジリョです

Quote by MarshmallowPies
I snapped my high E once and sliced my finger open, so I can only assume snapping the low E would put me into a coma or something.
Quote by 1337guitarplayr
Well yeah, right now I have like straight a's or 1 B each semester and do some other stuff aswell and I'm pretty sure I'll be making a lot of money from whatever I decide to be. (excluding musician)

that doesnt guarantee anything, plus.. you never know.
Just do it. Don't worry so much about money, or making music as a career. Just do it and make the music you want to hear, the music you want to make. For me, it's about freeing up as much time as possible to make music and be creative. If that means I can't afford the latest ipod then sh*t, what a shame. Give it a red hot go, and if you fail, try again. Rinse and repeat.
I'm in the same age as you are, and i always had a dream to become like this big rockstar but i realized it ain't gonna happen. So i'm pretty much just investing most of my time and dedicating to school mostly and just use music as a side hobby. if you want to pursue music i think that you should atleast keep up with your good grades so that if you don't want to pursue music anymore, you always have academics and good grades as backup.

EDITmg dude you live in LA? which part? cause i'm moving to LA from NJ soon and maybe i could see you somewhere. btw nice muse covers. i love muse too
Last edited by zombies at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by MyNameIsLame
I'm not an adult (technically, I'll be 18 in September but that's still probably not what you're looking for) but I suggest that you continue for a mainstream job, and if you find that you are capable of becoming a piano/guitar teacher do it in your spare time for extra cash. Maybe start a band and play a few gigs, then see where it goes from there. The best that could happen is that you quit your boring mainstream job and rock out for millions of dollars per year, the worst that could happen is that you're stuck with a mainstream yet good-paying job. So really you can't lose.

This is true. (I'm not 18+ either)

Music is a skill that can be acquired without having to go through formal training. Although you could go to music school, music remains a skill based on talent and practice. All the theory you need to know can be taken via courses online or perhaps in the university you are planning to attend.

It is a much better thought to go to college and guarantee a formal/mainstream degree that will keep you from safe in cases where music may cause your downfall in your financial status.

My plan for myself is to get an Aeronautical Engineering degree as a major, and perhaps Music as a minor. This way I can guarantee having a job, and at the same time I can have a band, make music, and perform at gigs, etc... If Music strikes the big shot, then I wouldn't have lost anything, because the degree was my base to keep me steady.
I'm going to be a junior in high school next year, and am sort of in the same predicament you are in.

I'm pretty much sure I'm not gonna have a career in music...but I always dream of somehow making it. Honestly, right now, it's best to just play music in bands, write some songs, and see where it goes. Don't make it a serious task, or a chore...when music starts to become a chore is when it loses its greatness. You should enjoy doing it.

I know I'm not really old enough to help with your question. But I think they key is just to relax. Besides, you have plenty of time to decide what you wanna do when you grow up (as some users above me have said.)
The.
Quote by Strawman
Just do it. Don't worry so much about money, or making music as a career. Just do it and make the music you want to hear, the music you want to make. For me, it's about freeing up as much time as possible to make music and be creative. If that means I can't afford the latest ipod then sh*t, what a shame. Give it a red hot go, and if you fail, try again. Rinse and repeat.

^
Sounds ballsy, but is really stupid.

Get an education, and once you're out of college get a job. But, don't make it black and white, you CAN do both music and have a regular job.

My dad works only weekends as the supervisor of some nursing home, makes over $30 an hour and uses the other 5 days of the week just to write music and do whatever he wants. You can do that, too.
My friend makes a couple hundred bucks a week playing gigs

Just don't limit yourself to one style of music or one instrument, go the Randy Rhoads route and always find something to learn, and go at it.
Quote by FaisalTMusic
This is true. (I'm not 18+ either)

Music is a skill that can be acquired without having to go through formal training. Although you could go to music school, music remains a skill based on talent and practice. All the theory you need to know can be taken via courses online or perhaps in the university you are planning to attend.

It is a much better thought to go to college and guarantee a formal/mainstream degree that will keep you from safe in cases where music may cause your downfall in your financial status.

My plan for myself is to get an Aeronautical Engineering degree as a major, and perhaps Music as a minor. This way I can guarantee having a job, and at the same time I can have a band, make music, and perform at gigs, etc... If Music strikes the big shot, then I wouldn't have lost anything, because the degree was my base to keep me steady.

That's the same thing I'm going for! Sweet!
my parents have always put it to me like this. Go to college, get a degree, you'll be 22 or 23, still in your prime, try to make it big, if not, you can get a good job, if so, congrats.
Xbox Live GT: IX Michael IX