I've got a couple questions about marshall amps. I am looking at the DSL and JVM amps, wondering which is better. I know that the JVM is more expensive, but is it only because it is more versatile? or does it have a better tone? Also, I plan on having a tube/green screamer and a distortion pedal so i would probably do most of the work with my pedals. So is there a head that gets all the marshall tone without the whole marshall price? Also I am looking at getting a Radial Tonebone Hot British pedal, which is supposed to replicate a marshall plexi stack sound. It seems like a great pedal but would I be wasting my money if I already have a marshall? Also I dont plan on playing any festival shows so I think a 50w would be fine, but again do i sacrifice tone?

BTW I play alot of heavier tones, but plan on using my pedals to get the tone i want, but I still want to get a nice clean tone too.
Fender American Standard Stratocaster HSS
VOX Valvetronix AD30
Unless you want a million and one tones out of an amp, you could just go for an old Marshall 4500 50/25watt JCM 900, they have heavy tones even without pedals, and the 6L6 Dual Reverb Model has nice cleans.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
comparing different model marshalls is like comparing apples and oranges.

whats your budget?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Buying a high end (sort of) tube amp but only using it to run distortion pedals into is really a waste IMO.
Quote by littlephil
Buying a high end (sort of) tube amp but only using it to run distortion pedals into is really a waste IMO.

Ok i was wondering about that. But what about a tube screamer? because i wont always be able to blast my amp, so i want a nice overdrive/distortion at low volume
VOX Valvetronix AD30
Quote by R.D
comparing different model marshalls is like comparing apples and oranges.

whats your budget?

No budget really, it just means having to wait longer to get the amp. I guess versatility is important, but I just really want to be able to get an amp with great tone for as cheap as possible.... for example if the jvm an the dsl produce basically the same tone, just the jvm has more channels or whatever, i dont think it is worth the extra money.... also is there a marshall with just one channel? because then it would make sense to work through distortion pedals
VOX Valvetronix AD30
Quote by littlephil
Whats the difference between that and using a tubescreamer?
Quote by The_Bosstone
Whats the difference between that and using a tubescreamer?

Depends whether you are using the tubescreamer on the crunch/lead channel as a clean boost or whether you use it on the clean channel to get an overdriven tone.
Quote by bronxbomber2828
Ok i was wondering about that. But what about a tube screamer? because i wont always be able to blast my amp, so i want a nice overdrive/distortion at low volume

You could just turn down the gain on the amp, or if you were looking at the JVM, use one of the lower gain channels for low gain overdrive and the lead channel for high gain.
Quote by bronxbomber2828
I've got a couple questions about marshall amps. I am looking at the DSL and JVM amps, wondering which is better. I know that the JVM is more expensive, but is it only because it is more versatile? or does it have a better tone? Also, I plan on having a tube/green screamer and a distortion pedal so i would probably do most of the work with my pedals.
Both are good amps, but sound different. I do like the JVMs versatility, it can actually get some great tone, but takes a ton of tweaking. I'd never buy one myself though, too many knobs.
So is there a head that gets all the marshall tone without the whole marshall price? Also I am looking at getting a Radial Tonebone Hot British pedal, which is supposed to replicate a marshall plexi stack sound. It seems like a great pedal but would I be wasting my money if I already have a marshall?
Not at all, because a JVM sounds nothing like a plexi.

But buying something like a JVM to use as a platform for a bunch of different overdrive pedals does kind of kill the point of the amp. The whole purpose of it is that you can get a ton of different tones, and program a ton of different tones. Plus, it's a Marshall, if you're not buying it for it's over the top sound, and larger than life crunch, what are you buying it for?
I've used the JVM on many occasions and didn't like it at all. It covers a lot of tones, but the only ones I thought that were actually decent were its cleans and mid-gain. It has a lot of gain on tap, don't get me wrong, but it's just a fizzy, horrible mess. The distortion just sounds fake on it

The DSLs though, (the 50W version in particular) I really like. Boosted with an OD on the distortion channel, they are one of the most articulate amps I've ever used, with the right tubes and settings. Used, you can pick these up pretty cheap, usually within $600-800.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
I've used the JVM on many occasions and didn't like it at all. It covers a lot of tones, but the only ones I thought that were actually decent were its cleans and mid-gain. It has a lot of gain on tap, don't get me wrong, but it's just a fizzy, horrible mess. The distortion just sounds fake on it

The DSLs though, (the 50W version in particular) I really like. Boosted with an OD on the distortion channel, they are one of the most articulate amps I've ever used, with the right tubes and settings. Used, you can pick these up pretty cheap, usually within $600-800.
I have the exact same opinion, which is really odd because I always thought of the JVM as this metal machine amp since it's become so popular with guys like Dave Mustaine, etc. But every high gain tone I've heard out of it has this really weird, almost digitalized tone. It's really weird, and it doesn't sound good at all. But ironically, the JVM is Marshall's only real high gain amp, along with the VM that DOESN'T use diode clipping in it's gain structure.

but THIS sounds great.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAjymRsuY8I especially the tone he gets when he rolls back that tone control. Whoever would've thought the JVM would sound so good for blues rock.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 2, 2009,
It sounds like the JVM is alot of money for more versatility. but the DSL seems versatile enough, I would probably get a tube screamer (or BBE Green Screamer I like that pedal) to boost it into a bluesy overdrive on the clean or low gain channels. But can the DSL really turn it up? Its a marshall so I assume it can get a real heavy metal tone, but a few of you have said it doesnt have a very high gain.
VOX Valvetronix AD30
Also what about the TSL? Is it the same thing as the DSL just with more channels?
VOX Valvetronix AD30
Also what about the TSL? Is it the same thing as the DSL just with more channels?
VOX Valvetronix AD30
was that bump really that necessary?

and no it's not the same thing as the dsl with more channels.

having a bunch of channels is not important. and the dsl sounds pretty bad when you crank the gain, it sounds very uninspiring and trite, just fizzy gain that does not really sound that good.
Quote by al112987

having a bunch of channels is not important. and the dsl sounds pretty bad when you crank the gain, it sounds very uninspiring and trite, just fizzy gain that does not really sound that good.

Well so far it seems like you dont like marshalls at all.... I think the only way for me to know what amp i want is to head to the guitar shop
VOX Valvetronix AD30
how about a mesa boogie stiletto? i see you want marshall tone, but mesa's sound so much better side by side IMHO. the stiletto isnt very popular with mesa users from what i've seen, they designed it to get marshall users away from their marshalls with the gain voicings ranging from plexish to a hot rodded JCM800 and beyond. this will be a great versital setup because the amp has a pretty amazing clean compared to any marshall on the market, and it takes pedals very well. so you'd have your clean channel, clean with distortion pedals, clean with tubescreamer, lead channel, and lead with tubescreamer.
If you don't talk to your kids about GAS, who will?
Quote by bronxbomber2828
Well so far it seems like you dont like marshalls at all.... I think the only way for me to know what amp i want is to head to the guitar shop
No, I do like Marshalls, in fact on this board, I'm one of the few that does like Marshall. They get hated on for the most part, I'm just saying the DSL100 (and the TSL) does not sound that good when you crank the gain.
Quote by littlephil

Yea, Randy Rhoads was such an idiot...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Also I prefer the dsl to the tsl or vm. I'm not diming the gain on any of them tho.
Quote by gregs1020
Also I prefer the dsl to the tsl or vm. I'm not diming the gain on any of them tho.

The VM isnt suppose to be a gain beast like the jcm2000. Doesnt have the preamp gain capacities of them. Its more like a modified jcm800 or plexi with a slightly different voicing.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by MercyfulFate505
So was Hetfield early in his career!
I wasn't aware that people actually liked Hetfield's tone.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^Tonewise, yes he was.

ouch. that's gonna leave a mark...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The DSL's are a different beast to the TSL's. The DSL's can trace their history back to the late 60's Plexi heads, they are just an evolution through time, so to speak. The TSL's, as well as the JVM & VM, were a new ground up design, hence the difference in tone. If you want a single channel Marshall then the JCM800 or before would be the way to go. The 2203 model (and I think the 2204) were originally released in 1979, but were in the older Plexi style cases & are usually cheaper to buy because of this alone.
Quote by iheartmy7
how about a mesa boogie stiletto? i see you want marshall tone, but mesa's sound so much better side by side IMHO. the stiletto isnt very popular with mesa users from what i've seen, they designed it to get marshall users away from their marshalls with the gain voicings ranging from plexish to a hot rodded JCM800 and beyond. this will be a great versital setup because the amp has a pretty amazing clean compared to any marshall on the market, and it takes pedals very well. so you'd have your clean channel, clean with distortion pedals, clean with tubescreamer, lead channel, and lead with tubescreamer.

I second this suggestion. The Stiletto is, IMO, better than the DSL and JVM by a longshot.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
I second this suggestion. The Stiletto is, IMO, better than the DSL and JVM by a longshot.

But also the Stiletto costs about the double of a DSL, TSL, VM or JVM.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
But also the Stiletto costs about the double of a DSL, TSL, VM or JVM.

DSL and TSL, yes. Not the VM or JVM.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
DSL and TSL, yes. Not the VM or JVM.

Depends on model and wattage.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
I see a Mesa Boogie Stilleto on eBay for 1,100 USD, and DSL goes from 600-800.
Not quite twice, but close.
Gear :

Ibanez RG2570 (has yet to post pics)
Crap Wal-Mart guitar that came in a 70 buck starters pack.
Marshall MG15, I know
Quote by JesusCrisp

Not really, the DSLs sell between $600-800, TSLs around $500-700. VMs between $800-1200 and JVMs between $1000-1400. Stilettos around $800-1400.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Its all about the JCM series... I asked about the differences in the amp here

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1170236

and got some very helpful answers-

with in that thread there is even a sick chart that compares all the heads!

Here it is

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504022
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Last edited by Richmanofaction at Aug 2, 2009,