With my LTD MH-250NT, no matter how much or how little gain, and no matter how much I tweak the EQ on my amp (A Peavey Vypyr 75), the tone is always thick and heavy (I almost always play Drop D).

My question is this:

Is the tone a product more from the pickups, or the guitar? (I know the amp has alot to do with it as well, but Im looking at taking care of things from the guitar end) Im looking at an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, and a Schecter Tempest Custom as a second guitar, since Im aiming for a guitar capable of a lighter tone, but I was wondering if changing the pickups would provide me with a lighter, or at the least, a more versatile tone.

Im not opposed to spending the money on a second guitar, I was just wondering if I would *need* to in order to obtain the lighter tone I was aiming for.

Oh, and what I like to play: Bayside, Gallows, Chiodos, A Day To Remember style music.
LTD MH-250NT (With EMG 81/85)
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Aug 2, 2009,
even with the clean channels? or less distorted channels?

it might have to do with the pick ups a bit but it shuold be that much of a difference
not a huge difference anyway
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
Quote by Ghold125
What does your EQ settings look like?

I usually go with Bass at 12 o clock or less, mids around 12 o clock, and treble anywhere from 1 to 4 o clock.

If anyone's aware of the Vypyr's settings, you have a 6505 emulator, a Rectifier emulator, and a JSX emulator, I usually use the Rectifier emulator because it has the lightest of the 3 full distortion models, at least to my ear.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Last edited by Mitochondria9 at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by Ghold125
And how much gain are you using?

60-70%
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
Quote by Ghold125
Hmm, does it sound as thick and heavy when you play on your Cube?

The Peavey sounds light years better than my Cube, but yeah, it sounds just as heavy, and quite a bit worse on my Cube, at least compared to my Peavey.
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212
usually what i do when i want a less heavy distortion is go to either a b-kat, brit, or plexi and use the xr wild as a distortion and it gets prety heavy but not as much as the heavy distortion channels, try using the less distorted channels and the xr wild stompbox to see if you get a tone that yuo want, works for me
peavey vypyr 30
yamaha starter guitar
Agile AL-2000 Tribal Blue

R.I.P REV!

A God Has Fallen,
R.I.P. Dio!

why Scorpions Why!?!
Quote by glam rocker
usually what i do when i want a less heavy distortion is go to either a b-kat, brit, or plexi and use the xr wild as a distortion and it gets prety heavy but not as much as the heavy distortion channels, try using the less distorted channels and the xr wild stompbox to see if you get a tone that yuo want, works for me

I never thought of that, I will have to try that. Thanks
Ibanez RGT42FXQM
Bugera 6260
Seismic Audio 212