I have a huge love for bands that combine two or more genres in their songs, as well as songs that combine different genres. One of my friends is taking classes in music theory, but I would also like your help.

So I'm getting this project going with a few friends to work on a song combining a wide variety of genres into one song, in sequence.

I know you all have different tastes in music, but if this song turns out great, it might appeal to them.

I know it will work for us, and I'm not looking for it to be widely popular obviously. Just something that would satisfy mine and my group's love for this.

The question is, how? Is there a certain trick to put different genres in sequence?

The order we have so far is, feel free to change it.

Classical intro
-Ballad (Soft rock)
-Melodic metal solo
-(Classic rock, then turning into a rock ballad)
-Psychedelic solo
-A more heavy rock, guitar 2 doing chords, guitar 1 doing a riff with lyrics
-Metal solo, easing down to rock
-Pop riff, going into more modern music
-From there, we were thinking a keyboard, drum beat to a hip hop beat. There will be a kind of guitar riff that fits into that.
-Now, it would erupt into a catchy southern rock, before an even catchier southern rock solo.
*I'm still looking for what else can be put in*
-Ending with a hard rock, chord progression, guitar solo etc...
-Ultimately ending going back to a classical/melodic metal solo.
listen to metropolis part 2 scenes from a memory by Dream Theater

thats pretty much a good start

it will give you some incite on mixing genres while keeping your own sound
really, i wouldn't suggest sequencing, rather carefully layering and weaving the various genres together
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
to me, this seems more of a big 'mixtape' rather than combining genres. you're just going like;

one genre.
another genre.
another genre.

and so on, it's not really combining genres. it's just doing one genre, and then moving to another.
I deeply regret the 6661 in my username. Siiiigh. Damn you, 14 year old me, you edgy little bastard.
Quote by Carl6661
to me, this seems more of a big 'mixtape' rather than combining genres. you're just going like;

one genre.
another genre.
another genre.

and so on, it's not really combining genres. it's just doing one genre, and then moving to another.

I agree. This guy stole the words right out of my mouth. Instead try combining defining parts of each type of music into one. On another note, you don't have to try to combine music. You should write what you like and if you end up combining two or more genres then good for you.
listen to Opeth. They combine Death metal, Jazz, Blues, Folk and they don't have stupid lyrics.

Cynic is "jazz metal" also.

What?.. I like progressive music.. so what, wanna fight about it?
Most people on UG aren't very nice.

That is my signature.

This is true.
Listen to Frank Zappa???
"Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe." -Frank Zappa
If you can modulate those all together, that'd be an epic 20+ minute song. I would rather not think in terms of genres, and instead just write the music that comes naturally.
The trick is to use good genres....
April is the cruellest month, breeding Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing Memory and desire, stirring Dull roots with spring rain
@TS

That's not combining genres. All you are doing is piecing genres together and then calling it a song.

but what you DID do is create a guide that could help in writing a song and since it's obvious that you need something like that, use it.

Now combining genres could be something like a funky bass, a jazzy guitar lead, and a drummer pounding out blast beats which turns out to be a Funk, Jazz, and death metal combo.

But if you really think about it, stuff like that happens all the time. Players have different strong and weak influences which affect how they play and bringing them together is what (sometimes) creates new and interesting sounds.

And we hear them in bands like Tool, opeth, lamb of god, cynic, animals as leaders, and others i can't name right now.

So be careful with that little guide because if it doesn't flow right it's gonna sound like a complete mess.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
An example of combining genres would be Cynic, who have metal sections with the harmonic sophistication of jazz, or Meshuggah, who have grinding polyrhythmic rhythm parts to Holdsworth inspired fusion guitar solos. A good example of a band who progresses through different styles would be Between the Buried and Me.

Whichever approach you take, just please make sure that its appropriate and that you don't just switch genres for the sake of it...
Firstly in i think your trying to do far too much in one song no matter how long you make it. One of the main problems you will face is trying to make the song sound coherent while still having large amounts of contrast between each section, i think you should narrow down the number of genres you are going to use to 3 or 4 and instead of it being more through composed you should try and have some reoccurring themes (ie a riff, certain instrumentation, or simply a common emotion that the music is trying to give out.) so that you don't end up in endless noodleings and keep it sounding coherent.

by the sounds of it you are into metal so i recommend you listen to Crimson by Edge of Sanity, Scenes from a memory by dream Theater, Bergtatt - Et Eeventyr i 5 Capitler by Ulver, any Opeth album, and maybe in the court of the crimson king by king crimson. Those albums will hopefully give you some ideas of possible structures and ways of making contrasting sections sound coherent, even if your not that much into metal still have a good listen to these albums and listen for the reoccurring themes though out the songs/albums.
Last edited by mergapoot at Aug 2, 2009,