Hey,

I am currently looking to get a new amp to replace my crappy Ibanez 15watt solid state amp. I have heard lots of good things about the Peavey Valveking Combo 112, but still have a few questions.

1. Do they have a good clean sound, as well as good distortion?

2. As far as tube amps go, are they good value-for-money?

3. Is the upgrade from a Peavey Valveking Combo 112 to a Peavey Valveking Combo 212 (seems to be a similar model, with an extra speaker), worth the extra AU$500? e.g. Are those two models tonally different?, Is the second speaker really necessary?

4. As I am on a budget of AU$1500, are there any other amps within a similar price range that are better?

Thanks

EDIT: To make things easier, AU$1500 = US$1250 = GBP$750
Last edited by m1tch4444 at Aug 2, 2009,
If that was 1500 american, this would have been a barrel of laughs, but i dunno how much things are in australia.

If that comes out to what i'm assuming, which is about 1000$ canadian, you could probably do pretty well and pickup triple X or a used JSX, but as i said, im not really sure.
au$1500 is probably like £400-500gbp so therefor abotu $600-700usd if you take into account amps tend to be more expensive over there

the clean sound i've heard is pretty good the distortion may need a pedal if you wantto play high gain stuff
the extra speak will just give a slightly fuller sound but isnt reaaally worth it that much , your tone won't really change
The 112 is just fine for you. The 212 is almost too much amp.

What kind of music are you looking to play?
Quote by Jason43
The 112 is just fine for you. The 212 is almost too much amp.

What kind of music are you looking to play?

I play all sorts of stuff, Joe Satriani, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Van Halen, ACDC, Muse, Metallica, the list goes on. This is why I want a more versatile amp.
I think the 112 would be very good for what you play. Your money conversion does not take into consideration that prices for gear are also skewed against you in AU. The VK is $419 here in the states. for $1200 you can get a DSL new here. Just pointing that out because people in this forum will tell you that for $1200 US you can get a much better amp. Personally, I think the VK is fine for a budget tube combo.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i personally hate the valveking, it really doesnt sound right to me but to replace your small solid state it would be a vast inprovement.

the 1x12 is actually really good for cleans but driving it tends to need a decent pedal in my oppinion.

they do sound really nice with a nice strat tho, i must admit
Guitars
Custom Les Paul
Custom ZW Bullseye
Brunswick BD200CE
Epiphone ZW Custom Camo
Custom Fender Highway Tele Daphne Blue
Parker Nitefly M
Squier Classic Vibes Strat W/BKPs
Ibanez SZR720QM W/EMGs
Valvekings sound great

IF...

1. You change the speaker.
2. You get an EQ Pedal
3. You get an Overdrive pedal if you're planning on playing something on the heavier side.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Valvekings sound great

IF...

2. You get an EQ Pedal
3. You get an Overdrive pedal if you're planning on playing something on the heavier side.

+1 on the speaker swap

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON

An OD pedal isn't entirely necessary if the pickups are hot, I find, but it's still something good to have.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
bad monkey OD and your set.
and for eq get the MXR
you can easily get a vk 112 on ebay at USA for like 250 used
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Valvekings sound great

IF...

2. You get an EQ Pedal

Valveking sound fantastic very Fender clean sound if you:
1. DO NOT change the speaker.
2.DO NOT get an EQ Pedal
3. DO NOT get an Overdrive pedal if you're planning on playing something on the heavier side.
You can not get good crunch or blues sound without mods! But if you need Fender clean you do not have to change anything!

I have more than 40 amps, mostly Hughes and Kettner 16(Triamp Mk1 combo, Puretone combo,Duotone,Zenamp combo,Tube 50 combo+head....),Fender Pro Reverb 1974 and HRD, Framus RR1 and RR2,Crate VC5212 and V50 palomino,.........Beleive me.Clean is fantastic without any mods.
^ fender cleans my ass. you're either lying, or you got a one-in-a-million valveking.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
I found that the clean sound of a VK 112 started to get tube breakup much too early. It was distorted enough for some heavier blues at 5 and the volume was actually quieter than an AC15 completely clean...
I have to agree with these guys ^. In stock form, I found the clean channel to almost sound like you put a light boost in front of it. Not a bad sounding clean at all, but definitely not a "fender" clean.
Look.If we talking about real Fender sound you should buy only Fender (or H&K TRIAMP Mk1).From Valveking you will never get real fender spank sound, but sound is very warm, fullbody, american clean.We talking asbout Valveking range and not Fender vintage amps range.Valve king do not have vox clean, orange clean, crate clean....It is very close to Fender clean.This is cheap amp with nice warm american clean.Which amp have nice warm original american clean?I hope you understant, what I wish to say and suggested.Thanks,Zoran

P.s. My china telecaster copy have with Lindy Fralin more real 50´sound and dynamic then mostly Fender telecaster with Fender pickup.I have Telecaster from 56` too.
VK cleans, equal to Fender? Lol. Just lol.

Ibanez TS9 is a good boost for the VK, Keeley modded DS-1's too. The channel alone on the VK is still pretty hot though. What was said about the EQ pedal is true, definitley recommended for a VK. Preferably the MXR 6-band, the 10-band emitted a bit of noise in my experience with it. If you have a noise suppressor, by all means get that.

The amp is pretty all-around, it shines when it comes to heavier stuff, everything else is just okay. Not the most ideal amp out there, but I certainly want it.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
VK... Eh, it's OK for the price, but to be honest there are much better amps for the price. Look for a used Line 6 Flextone. Yes, I know, it's not a tube amp. But since when does tube=good no matter what? I highly recommend them.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by zoranrataj2000
Look.If we talking about real Fender sound you should buy only Fender (or H&K TRIAMP Mk1).From Valveking you will never get real fender spank sound, but sound is very warm, fullbody, american clean.We talking asbout Valveking range and not Fender vintage amps range.Valve king do not have vox clean, orange clean, crate clean....It is very close to Fender clean.This is cheap amp with nice warm american clean.Which amp have nice warm original american clean?I hope you understant, what I wish to say and suggested.Thanks,Zoran

P.s. My china telecaster copy have with Lindy Fralin more real 50´sound and dynamic then mostly Fender telecaster with Fender pickup.I have Telecaster from 56` too.

The cleans are far from warm, and without the bright switch on, most of it is just muddy cleans. It's a catch-22, really.
But, they can have a voicing similar to Fender. NOT FENDER CLEANS, but a SIMILAR voicing. Let's end it at that...

If YOU are playing metal or anything with a bit more gain/grit than usual, don't get it. The upgrades will cost too much in Australia, it would not be worth it.

If you live near Gold Coast, here is a link to some amps/prices...
http://www.guitar.com.au/amplifiers/electric/index.htm

http://musical-instruments.shop.ebay.com.au/Amplifiers-/167878/i.html?_catref=1&_dmpt=AU_Amplifiers&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=500&_udhi=1%2C500
Maybe you should change your tubes.My is very clean and warm and sound very close to Fender.I did not change anything, but you should use on AB class sound.
Quote by zoranrataj2000
Maybe you should change your tubes.My is very clean and warm and sound very close to Fender.I did not change anything, but you should use on AB class sound.

Which Fender tone are you speaking of? Blues Deluxe or Supersonic?

I have done all but the electronic mods for the VK (new tubes, speaker, free mods, pedals)... I don't need to change anything.

I like my cleans warm, and the VK is far-from that, even stock. Yours must have come with decent tubes or something...
honestly, i think that guy is just ****ing with people. either that, or he's tone deaf and rich. he's said in some other thread that he has like 18 h&k amps or something like that. he can't be serious.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5