I have my heart on getting a Mesa-Boogie amp. I've read that the combos can be notoriously heavy so am opting for a head and cab deal for portability.

I have a question about cabs. I play a range of sized venues, no stadiums but places ranging from halls to pubs which have a close vicinity of the band to the dance floor.

I am not sure whether I should get a 1x12 cab or a 2x12. Sure the 2x12 is louder, but is it too loud? If I put my amp up a little so it sounds better (sweet spot) will I destroy the audience? Other than volume, what are the advantages of a 2x12 over a 1x12?

Thanks for any help.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Get a 2x12.

A 1x2 would look weird, and it wouldn't be able to handle as much volume.
RIP Tom Searle.
I like the 212 idea better, the volume won't be overkill, and you can always swap out the speakers to two different types for an awesome mixed tone. It also looks way neater, in both senses of the word.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
No point having a 120watt (correct me if I'm wrong) valve head, but not being able to use it to its capacity.
RIP Tom Searle.
most mesa amps are 50 watts+ and are usually 100 so a 1x12 wouldnt be able to cope
also a bigger cab isnt actually louder it just pushes more outand gives a better bass response
Quote by superfish1232
most mesa amps are 50 watts+ and are usually 100 so a 1x12 wouldnt be able to cope
also a bigger cab isnt actually louder it just pushes more outand gives a better bass response

It really depends on the type of 1x12 it is. The old 200 watt mesa 1x12 and even the new 90watt ones with a c90 or blackshadow speaker have a great bass response. its more than just size its the speakers themselves

that said a 2x12 is a good idea if you're buying conventional and want absolute bass response and more range(depending on the speaker)
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Thanks for the responses guys.

Firstly I don't care about how it looks - I'd play a penis-shaped cab and balls shaped guitar if it sounded good. Actually that would just be awesome.

Secondly thanks for the pointers about the wattage, but I don't get if a head has too much power for a 1x12, why then do most combos come as a 1x12 as an option?

So the 2 x 12 has a better bass response, but it's better to tilt it upwards or put it on a stand so I don't blast myself and the crowd?
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Thanks for the responses guys.

Firstly I don't care about how it looks - I'd play a penis-shaped cab and balls shaped guitar if it sounded good. Actually that would just be awesome.

Secondly thanks for the pointers about the wattage, but I don't get if a head has too much power for a 1x12, why then do most combos come as a 1x12 as an option?

So the 2 x 12 has a better bass response, but it's better to tilt it upwards or put it on a stand so I don't blast myself and the crowd?

You don't usually get 100watt+ combos.

They're usually lower wattage.

And just have the 2x12 like normal cab, on the ground.

The aim is to blast the crowd
RIP Tom Searle.
2x12 will give you a better sound and fill the space better. But if you must have the convenience of a 1x12, make one up with a Fane Crescendo. Expensive, but worth it. (300w rated)
Oh, and put it on a stand to get decent projection and stop it walking across the stage.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Save up and get a 4x12. A Mesa deserves a proper 4x12, like a Mills or Mesa.
Quote by Thurisaz
Save up and get a 4x12. A Mesa deserves a proper 4x12, like a Mills or Mesa.

Well I can always upgrade. I'm not regularly playing large places so the 4x12 is a bit big and loud. Money is not an issue, but useability is
Soundcloud
+1 to 2x12 although the framus one I have is darn heavy. I done popped my back lifting it up.
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
marshall 1936 cab best 2x12 iv ever owned. traded my mesa 212 for it
and if it does seem too loud get a like thd hot plate as they can turn the cab volume down whilst the amps still cranked right up
facebook.com/crazymentalchris
youtube.com/chrisprsguitars

come say Hi!
Quote by ChrisRuffell

if it does seem too loud get a like thd hot plate as they can turn the cab volume down whilst the amps still cranked right up

Hey great tip! I had no idea something like that existed.
Soundcloud
1x12 has a tendancy to sound kind of flat, imo, and the whole two speakers thing gives you a fuller, more rounded sound?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."