im in love with metal. lamb of god, all that remains, metallica, stuff like that. but recently some obsession with progressive music has plagued my group of friends. i like progressive and stuff, but it seems like in my entire city, im the only one with this obsession for hard hitting thrash metal. what do i do? i take pride in my music and want to jam with musicians that love thrash and groove metal as much as i do. any help on where to look? what to do? anything?
any help on where to look? local shows and concerts.

what to do? play what you like and don't let other people change that.

anything? you can't change what people like. and i don't think ur the only one in ur city that feels like you, so quit crying.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
prog metal is imo sweeping the globe at this point.. its the same scene back home in india, and out here in new zealand..
Quote by allislost
any help on where to look? local shows and concerts.

what to do? play what you like and don't let other people change that.

anything? you can't change what people like. and i don't think ur the only one in ur city that feels like you, so quit crying.

im not cryin bro. i was simply stating i wish more people in my area played what i played cause im trying to get a band back up. and im not gonna change what i love
Quote by DJ_Inferno2000
prog metal is imo sweeping the globe at this point.. its the same scene back home in india, and out here in new zealand..

I'm really not looking forward to this. I love prog, but a very nice bonus was that it wasn't super popular. I'm not happy about people thinking that I've jumped on the Dream Theater, etc. bandwagon just because they were in Rock Band...
I <3 Companion Cube
Personally I prefer prog to thrash lol, and maybe face the possibility that thrash was the big thing and now it's dying.

I can say this cause i love classick rock, and am about the only one in my town who does as well lol. I just turn it up an play it proudly, i love it, but i keep an open mind to other things as well, thats how you learn and grow.

Sadly the age of Classick rock has passed, and the age of thrash may also be passing, but it does not need to be forgotten , it lives in in the hearts and minds and ears of it's fans.
The same thing happened with my friends and metalcore, I cannot stand the stuff, so I disowned them musicallly, harsh, but they were playing music for the fad, not for the soul, and that was really sad. Stay true to your music man.
April is the cruellest month, breeding Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing Memory and desire, stirring Dull roots with spring rain
The problem with Classic rock is that there are no amazing singers to bring the style into the foreground.

and then thrash bands have created such awesome albums and songs that it's not easy to get better than the greats.

Prog has been underground music for a while but thanks to bands like Tool, Opeth, and the Mars Volta, it's been getting more and more attention.

If you noticed, i didn't mention Dream Theater. That's because even though they've been around for a long time they haven't done much to bring prog out. They just can't make great songs, they are incredible musicians, but they can't write memorable songs.

I just hope with prog getting more and more attention bands will strive to get better and not just getting faster or some bs like that, but getting better at writing songs.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
There's too many people playing just metal and 'shred' (which i don't believe is even a genre) on guitar lately. Start learning different things on the guitar - you don't want to be another run of the mill one trick metal-pony.
Quote by Ikonoklast
There's too many people playing just metal and 'shred' (which i don't believe is even a genre) on guitar lately. Start learning different things on the guitar - you don't want to be another run of the mill one trick metal-pony.

true man, run o the mill is not what im strivin for thanks
There is a ton of people with different tastes man. It might just be where you're going. Go to shows of different genres, something you haven't experienced once in a while.
if you look round hard enough there will be a metal scene in your town/nearby towns. You're only 16, do you really know all the musicians in your town? get to some metal gigs and see who you meet there, get jams going with people, even if they're like 50yrs old - learning from their experience would be awesome
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Quote by the_burning_one
im in love with metal. lamb of god, all that remains, metallica, stuff like that. but recently some obsession with progressive music has plagued my group of friends. i like progressive and stuff, but it seems like in my entire city, im the only one with this obsession for hard hitting thrash metal. what do i do? i take pride in my music and want to jam with musicians that love thrash and groove metal as much as i do. any help on where to look? what to do? anything?

I have the sam problem, except I'm like the only ProgHead in my school admist Punks and Hard MetalHeads. This is how I'm kind of dealing with the limiting bands in my school:

I'm going to start a solo project where I play Guitar, Bass, Sing and use a Drum synth. This way I can play to my heart's content. In addition I'm going to try and manage one of my friend's band. This way, not only do I get more of an open mind to my school's taste, further helping increase the poularity of my band, but I can also influence the band I'm managing and if my band doesn't bring Prog to my school, maybe this band might help.

I don't know. That's my 2 cents. Nothing I have said have I actually done, but I plan to do it within the next month.
thanks iron disturbia and doive. ive checked out some local scences and recorded some solo stuff and my mind is more open.