Hi UG,

I now have a marshall plexi clone (ceriatone) and a fender bandmaster home-made.
Now i totally love the sound of both. But they are a bit of an overkill...

I'm looking for a combo amp,
with less wattage,
so i can that niiiice tube sound at lower volume (if truely possible?)

I'd also want something more versatile. I want that specially want that sweet vintage fender sound but i also want it to be able to do something more than that.

If it helps i like playing bob dylan, jeff buckley, jimi hendrix, john frusciante, radiohead, SRV and i especially would like the david gilmour/pink floyd sound

The things i was already know of are the blues deluxe( too big probably?) and the blues junior.

I have 450USD/EUR to spend but would like to spend as less as possible!!!

I'll be going to the guitar shop this week to test, but want some preknowledge
I'll probably end up buying second hand(cause i'm cheap)

I hope y'all can help me, just tell me some amp names and i'll search them up myself,
thanks!
Cornford Harlequin - 6 watt open valve combo, great valve tone at bedroom volumes!
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by stephen_rettie
buy an attenuator for your plexi.

Nah, i want a smaller amp also for practical purpose.

@sonnysam: i'll look into that one, thanks!

EDIT: damn that cornford harlequin really looks nice!! Too bad it's out of my budget and there not seem to be much places to buy them...
IF you know where they go for a good deal, please telll me. I live in Belgium btw
thanks!
Last edited by oxokoning at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by Eggmond
laney lionheart 5watt

Too expensive... but also seems very nice though!
Vox AC4

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Blackstar HT-5 combo looks like your best option. 399 euro at Thomann.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Yeah it seems the Blackstar is really nice.
But how are the cleans? Can i get fender like cleans with the blackstar?
Try to find a used Egnater Rebel head on Ebay or something. They would be stretching it, but you could probably find a head for $400 or so. I think you already have a cab though, right? Anyways, it's got 2 sets of Power tubes, one set of 6V6's, one set of EL84's, and you can select either OR blend the two. This way, you can get Fender-voiced sounds and Marshall-voiced sounds. It's 20 watts, but there's a knob to bring it down to 1 watt for bedroom practice. The only thing is, it's a one channel amp, so you'd need to get used to that, or buy a distortion pedal if you use it for gigs.

http://www.egnateramps.com/Rebel20.html
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by Sonny_sam
Cornford Harlequin - 6 watt open valve combo, great valve tone at bedroom volumes!

Great amp but it's way out his price range. Those run for like $1000 in the US.
Blackstar HT-5 combo will suit you perfectly.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by Lurcher
Blackstar HT-5 combo looks like your best option. 399 euro at Thomann.

+1
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Quote by ibz_bucket
Try to find a used Egnater Rebel head on Ebay or something. They would be stretching it, but you could probably find a head for $400 or so. I think you already have a cab though, right? Anyways, it's got 2 sets of Power tubes, one set of 6V6's, one set of EL84's, and you can select either OR blend the two. This way, you can get Fender-voiced sounds and Marshall-voiced sounds. It's 20 watts, but there's a knob to bring it down to 1 watt for bedroom practice. The only thing is, it's a one channel amp, so you'd need to get used to that, or buy a distortion pedal if you use it for gigs.

http://www.egnateramps.com/Rebel20.html

Seems nice, but with shipping costs it's too expensive + i'd like to test before buy, but thanks

Now about the blackstar, i'm really looking into him and he looks very nice, but cleans are very important,

And something i have read a lot is that the cleans are good but not the best...

And i don't really need that much gain, i never play metal, it seems they got a lot of gain right?

Maybe someone can tell me how the amps stands against these people:

bob dylan, beatles, jeff buckley, jimi hendrix, john frusciante, radiohead, SRV, pink floyd

thanks in advance
Quote by oxokoning

Maybe someone can tell me how the amps stands against these people:

bob dylan, beatles, jeff buckley, jimi hendrix, john frusciante, radiohead, SRV, pink floyd

thanks in advance

MOAR Gain LulZ!!1!111one!11

but seriously, you can get a good hendrix/SRV tone out of it. The clean channel does start to break up early but it's still fairly loud around the 3 to 4 volume mark.

The OD channel will give you a very nice SRV/Hendrix/Page sound at lower levels and then at around 12 - 2 o clock its Slash territory and then on to Metallica and such past 3 o clock
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
I dont know about anyone else, but i get excellent cleans on my HT-5. I actually find myself sitting, playing chords for what seems like an eternity, basking in my clean tone. I love it that much. Add in a bit of delay used as reverb, with a touch of chorus and it just keeps getting better.

All this is with the volume on about 2 out of 10. I like to play very quietly.
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by DiizZ
I dont know about anyone else, but i get excellent cleans on my HT-5. I actually find myself sitting, playing chords for what seems like an eternity, basking in my clean tone. I love it that much. Add in a bit of delay used as reverb, with a touch of chorus and it just keeps getting better.

All this is with the volume on about 2 out of 10. I like to play very quietly.

Yes I do the same, but once you crank the volume up, those wonderful cleans get a bit of bite to them. I found playing with the ISF knob helps you keep the cleans staying clean for longer too.
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
allright, thanks everyone, i'm pretty sure about the blackstar ht-5 right now.
I'm onna test it tomorrow and prolly buy it.

If you have anything to say , it's still welcome!
Quote by oxokoning
allright, thanks everyone, i'm pretty sure about the blackstar ht-5 right now.
I'm onna test it tomorrow and prolly buy it.

If you have anything to say , it's still welcome!

Do it :P
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Check out a Fender Super Champ XD if they have them. You'll get your Fender cleans and the gain channel voicing sounds good. The gain setting likes to be under 3 so keep that in mind when trying the different voices.
Quote by fly135
Check out a Fender Super Champ XD if they have them. You'll get your Fender cleans and the gain channel voicing sounds good. The gain setting likes to be under 3 so keep that in mind when trying the different voices.

Winnar. Only the power amp is tube though. Still sounds excellent; I'm buying one for home/recording use eventually.
the blackstar is highly recommended in these forums... too bad my store doesnt stock the HT-5.

i've also been looking for bedroom tube sounds like you except i play with a bit more gain.

i've looked at the blackheart handsome devil, but never played it cuz they dont stock it either . im leaning for a rebel 20 right now just because how versatile it can be.
Mmh, I heard the champs cleans and they are nice
But it's also 15 watts and i'm still sceptic about the tube + modeling thingy...

I'll try him, but i don't think hes gonna win it.
thanks
Used blues junior! Amazing cleans! Great for all the sounds you want. May want to pick up an od. To push it.
Fender Mexi Strat
FuzzFace/Rangemaster
Boss RC-2
Line 6 Flextone III XL
Ibanez aw20ce

FS/FT
Boss TU-2
Marhsall BB-2
Digitech Digiverb
Digitech PDS1700
535q wah
I played a blues junior once. Good amp, but i don't need 15 watt.

But i was wondering about the blackheart little giant combo.

How does he compare to the blackstar? I heard alot about them and i checked it on youtube and the clean sounded really good.

BTW: i have a Fullltone OCD to push things.
Last edited by oxokoning at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by oxokoning
I played a blues junior once. Good amp, but i don't need 15 watt.

But i was wondering about the blackheart little giant combo.

How does he compare to the blackstar? I heard alot about them and i checked it on youtube and the clean sounded really good.

BTW: i have a Fullltone OCD to push things.

the blackstar is more versatile. the blackheart line of amps are pretty dark in nature