how big of a generator would you need to run for 5 hours or so during a gig ? it would be supplying power to amps, mics, speakers , mabey a few lights (not huge ones) and a mixing desk
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
it depends on the no of watts each the above mentioned things would use, it wont be much but the lights depending on what type of lights ur using might consume the most, i think it would be better to get an inverter since they dont make any noise, a generator would make a fair amount of noise
see it works like this
determine the wattage of each of thing that u have mentioned, it should be written behind the appliance and add em together for eg
kettle = 1000 w, Fridge = 250 w, TV = 150 w, Lights x 4 (100w)= 400 w
TOTAL : 1800 w(1.8kva)

so that means if u wanted to run the above stuff u would require a 1.8kva generator or ups etc
Your best bet would be to contact a local company that rents them explain what you need to power and they could tell you. I worked for the Boston Parks Dept we used to do summer concerts and the generators we used were huge but they had to not only power the equipment but the lighting. They were pretty loud we would leave them a hundred feet away from the portable stages other wise it would drown out the music. I don't know what you have for places that rent equipment over in the UK here in the states you can practically rent anything from Home Depot.

I think your going to need something a lot bigger than this but I have a very small Honda Generator we use for camping it has 2 AC outlets but will power 4 items if you use an adapter we run a TV, DVD Player, lights and a radio and it's very quiet. As long as you do not try and power anything that draws a lot of Amps it's OK. One of the girls plugged in a hair dryer and it tripped the breaker. My Gen runs about 8 hrs on a little over a 1/2 gal of gas.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Are you planning on playing in the middle of nowhere?

yer we holding a charity gig in a field and we need to get power from somewhere

thanks fretburn so say we had 2 75watt amps a 50watt amp , 8mic at say 10 watts each (dont know how much they take just guessing) 2 ligths at 100 watt each then 100 watts for the mixer and things like that im going to need one that does about 700-800watts?
Gear :
strat copy (SD Hotrails in bridge, Lil' 59 in Neck)
Orange Dual Terror
Orange PPC112
Pitchblack/SHO Clone/Morley PWA wah
Last edited by blenk at Aug 2, 2009,
yup ur right if it totals up to around 800-700 watts then u would need a generator with a 1kva rating, that isnt much its good to get a generator with some head room and plus dont measure the power consumption of ur amps based on the output rating, what i mean is that although ur amp may be a 50 watt amp its power rating will be slightly higher for eg 15 watt amps have a power consumption rating of around 18-20 watts check the back panel of ur amps for the exact rating
Your 75w amp will pull more power than 75w. It will tell you on the back panel somewhere the volts and amps/watts. Your probably gonna want a decent sized generator as the little ones tend to have small gas tanks so wont run long without someone gassing them up. My honda 3600w has a 1/2 gallon tank so will run about 2 hours. And you can do things to cut the noise down build a temp little lean to with the open side facing away will cut down on alot of the noise.