Hey im currently looking for a new bass but i don't know what i should get!

I play mostly punk and ska, but a versatile bass would be quite nice.

My budget is around £700-800 which is around $1100-1330.

Also I've only played 4 stringed basses before and was wondering is there much point in getting a five string, or should i get a good 4 string and buy a cheapish 5 string to see if i like it?

Also could do with a new amp, im currently using a roland cube, so any suggestions for a good punk/ska amp would be nice

Thanks
Well dude, to be completely honest with your budget you can get a really decent 5 string, or a very nice 4 string.

I use to be in love with 5 strings, but making the jump is def. a workout on your fingers, but well worth it if you like those punchy deep lows.

When investing in a 5 string, make sure you get a bass with a 35 inch scale becuase if you dont you will deal with fret rattle CONSTANTLY.

Even with a 35 inch scale you will have to put up with a little fret rattle, that just bass.

But i am very happy with my Ibanez BTB 5 string, you can get one from anywhere between $400 - $800. Whats nice about the BTB is it has individual saddles for each string instead of a one peice bridge. The reason for this is becuase when you pluck a bass string, the bridge will rattle and cuase the other strings to vibrate. Individual saddles elimnates this problem.

Here, check them out http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/bass?N=100001+304263&Ntk=All&Ntt=BTB&Nty=1

But, if you have more than $800 bucks to spend, you could go out and buy a badass warwick bass. Hit me back with any questions, I know alot about basses.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Last edited by Vypor at Aug 2, 2009,
Ibanez basses seem to be faily highly recommended - my cousin has one and I have an Indie bass (which is very similar) and I really like both. Alot of Fender basses are around too, no experience with them, but they might be worth a try.

As for 5 string, try some out and see if you like them. They would probably give you a bit more versatility, but you also need to factor the larger neck width - a 4 string has a few less notes, but might be more comfortable to play and its up to you whether or not you think it will be worth the extra effort and money for the B string. Like I said try some out.
Last edited by lyonk55 at Aug 2, 2009,
If in doubt, go Fender.

Jazz bass - can be had for around £500 (A MIM one, but still very good), and they come in 5 String too. Not sure on the cost.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Yeah, 4 strings are def. alot more comfortable. 5 strings are where its at if your intrested in slap bass at all though.
Treble>Epiphone Prophecy EX - MXR micro Amp - MXR Blue Box - MXR Fullbore - MXR Noise Clamp - Vox AD30VT
Bass>Ibanez BTB505 - MXR Blowtorch - MXR D.I. - Peavey MaxBass 700 - Peavey TVX410
Quote by Vypor
Yeah, 4 strings are def. alot more comfortable. 5 strings are where its at if your intrested in slap bass at all though.

no.

It's preference and musical choice. That's it.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Quote by gilly_90
no.

It's preference and musical choice. That's it.

Um okay? whats this suppose to mean? 5 string basses are more common among slap artists than 4 strings are, and thats because of your higher range of lower octaves.

Was that really necessary?
Quote by Vypor
Um okay? whats this suppose to mean? 5 string basses are more common among slap artists than 4 strings are, and thats because of your higher range of lower octaves.

Was that really necessary?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1165882&
this thread explains the old 5vs4 thing.

Also some people find it awkward to slap on a 5er and a lot of slap platers use 4 strings because of it.

and was what necessary? Because for the sake of giving the TS the information he needed, correcting you was necessary.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

Quote by Vypor
When investing in a 5 string, make sure you get a bass with a 35 inch scale becuase if you dont you will deal with fret rattle CONSTANTLY.

Not true.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
Quote by cm261
Not true.

Decidedly. As an example, Ibanez SRs have a 34 scale, and they don't rattle/buzz/etc.

With that budget, I think you need to go and try everything. You probably already know all the high-end brands, so us recommending something before you've tried anything doesn't make much sense. It's easier if you try everything, say which ones you like the best, and go from there. It narrows it dow from "recommend everything good" to "I like this, this, and this from this company, is there anything similar?"
Quote by Vypor

I know alot about basses.

I think we can now quash this vicious rumour
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

Alot of good 5ers are 34 scale, like a stingray 5 etc. There isnt a huge difference on well made 5ers, but on a cheaper 5 string i would try and get a 35" scale as it will help(this is just what ive found on cheaper instruments).

Play a couple of 5 and 4 strings and see what you like and what you need. Its all personal preference and choice.
A good 5er that will hold its value for a little bit if you want to sell it on straight away would be a peavey grind 5er.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Personally, I prefer 35" on 5 strings. I'm seriously thinking of finding a 35" 4 string to tune down a bit too.
Quote by UraniYum

Quote by Cb4rabid

If its versatility you're looking for, try the Fender Jaguar bass, or an Ibanez ATK.
As for a versatile amp, i'd say go for Ampeg. I think a lot of ampeg amps have pre-sets along with 3-band EQ.
Quote by fatgoogle
Alot of good 5ers are 34 scale, like a stingray 5 etc. There isnt a huge difference on well made 5ers

Bingo.

My stinger don't rattle. It's 34, it plays bigger (if that makes sense). It dwarfs my other basses which are the same scale.

I gotta recommend a Stingray
Ive not once in my life played a 5 string bass that had a 34" scale that didnt rattle on the low B string anywhere under the seventh fret.

Sorry, thats just my exp. and yes, I have played sting rays.
Well thanks for the advice everyone, I think I'll buy a nice 4 string bass and maybe buy a cheapish 5 string to see if i like it.

The reason why I'm asking for names and brands is the only music shop near me that sells decent basses is a good long drive away and I want to try everything in one trip.

So the more basses I try the higher the chance of me getting one i like

Anyway thanks
Regarding the 35" vs 34", from my experience it is mostly to compensate for floppy B strings. I had a Modulus Flea 5 for years, which is 34", and the B was always fine. Honestly, the difference is minute.

You said you play ska. Depending on which wave you focus on, you make want something with a humbucker/dual coil for that fat, punchy tone of modern ska, or something with a p-bass style (and maybe flatwounds) for the older, two-tone type tone. I prefer the latter.

Your price range is pretty versatile, so I'll just suggest some basses I love which would probably suit you well:

Musicman Stingray: a great go-to bass, not extremely versatile but great at what it does.

Lakland Bob Glaub P: My fav p-bass style ever, sounds amazing, very well built, but again, a one-trick pony.

Used Warwick: The Thumb is my personal fave. Try to find a pre-98 one, as these have the Wenge (as opposed to Ovankol) necks with the much more comfortable C profile. Very versatile, and the growl would work great for new ska.

Epiphone Jack Casady: A really tempermental bass when it comes to reliabilty, but sounds soooo good to my ears. Fat, warm, and thumpy. Awesome with flats, just as good with rounds, and the Varitone really adds versatility. Sexy too.

Ibanez Iceman: I'll probably get flamed, but aside from the mediocre build quality, I think these sound amazing. Very affordable, shape is a little offputting, but the pickups sound great. However, it is a bass that does one tone well, as opposed to many.

Fender Mustang bass: These can be found on ebay for cheap. Like a miniature p-bass with some added warmth and added muddiness. Great for reggae, oldschool ska. Short neck takes time to get used to, but a really fun bass overall.

If you have any questions let me know!
Last edited by Mr. Jiggy Fly at Aug 6, 2009,
1 inch is really not going to make much difference outside of your bean.

I would not suggest a 5 string, because the most popular and cool choice for what you want is a P-bass, which comes in 4 strings almost exclusively.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I would recommend the Fender P-Bass or Jazz Bass
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
Quote by Satchafunkilus
fender or.... a Dean Edge4.
Its Precision and jazz all rolled into one. I think its about 800, but Im not sure.

EMG HZ's? no.

they are like neither and will never sound passive, old school, or even thumpy in many cases. they retain to much clarity and treble response to have the same sound.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom