cant seem to find much info on this

you know when jump a patch lead from the high input of say a Marshall plexi's first channel into the low of the second channel. what does this actually do, i tried this on my Blackstar and didnt really notice much of a difference, i only done it for a few seconds out of curiosity though. what tonal changes should i expect from doing this? what uses does it have?

thanks
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
The blackstar doesn't have a second input?
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
On a 1959 or 1987 plexi, there are 2 channels, each with 2 inputs, a high a low, which are in parallel.

One channel is normal, and the other is bright. Looping a patch cable between the inputs allows you to blend the tone of each channel.

Usually, without pedals the normal channel is too deep, and the second channel is too bright, so connecting the channels allows you to blend the two to create a different tone.

It can be done on any amp with the same input configuration.
My Gear
Original JCM800
Fender Blues
ADA MP1 Rack

1952 RI Tele
Fender Floyd Fat Strat
Dean Razorback V255
Dean ML79F
Fender Strat, scalloped
Fender Floyd Strat
Ibanez RG550 - 1987 DY, 1990 DY, 2002 BK
Kramer Paul Dean
Danelectro DC59
Alot of amps have high low inputs but not like the old marshalls were where its actually seperate channels. The high input on some marshalls it actually had another gain stage so was the dirty channel the low was the clean channel it didnt have channel switching you were expected to actually swap the cables. And there was another variation used w the normal/bright. But your not gonna find it on any modern amp. On the kustom I had it just reduced the signal going into the amp if you plugged into both they both became low. My bass amp has the same sort of set up, sometimes to much input signal will make the amp clip or distort so you plug into the low. Theres just a resister or 2 to change the signal level.
blending the channels also gives you more gain capability, I always run my plexi head into the high bright input and bridge the low bright input into the high normal input with the bright volume on 10 and normal volume on 2 or 3. The nice thing about this is setup is that it lets you run the normal channel as sort of a pseudo-bass control as well. On the earlier Marshall JTM circuits, there was just too much bass and turning the actual bass control anywhere past 2 with a les paul and it would get boomy and farty, but adding some of the normal volume allows you to add some girth to the sound.
ok cool, im not sure if it will really apply to my Artisan though, maybe though. the 1 channel is based on the EF86 pentode and the 2 channel on the ECC83 triode (whatever that means! i took this from the site!)
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg