I read the "FAQ" to this, helped me a bit but I still have some questions.

I've played guitar for like 2,5 years and I want to buy a bass guitar and learn some (and have for recording some stuff, nothing very special). I'm looking for a bass guitar that's very "allround", everything from Straits to Sabaton to Clapton to Metallica.

I wonder how big diffrence it is on the diffrent kinds of pickups?

I have a budget on max about $550 US (about 4000 swedish kronor, if some swede drops by ^^). What basses would you recommend? Sofar i've only played a Squier bass (dunno what kind, but not very expensive), an Ibanez (don't remember model) and a Peavey Zodiac BXP. I liked how the Squier sounded a little bit, played some in school so i'm not TOTALLY new :P.

The other two I've only played "acoustic".

Some tips, suggestions and stuff is VERY appreciated!

(sorry for my English, i'm swede)
Gear:

Eastone ST-1
Jackson RR3 Limited Edition
Kustom Arrow 16
Line 6 POD X3 Live
The Box MA-120 MK-II
For something cheap and all around good I would recommend a Squier Jazz, probably the Vintage Modified Jazz (cause I love the look) but I'm no pro in the world of bass; if it looks nice then I like it. I figure the sound comes more from the amp, and since I'm running through the g-dec junior that I got with my Squier guitar, every bass I've played through there just sounds like the age of its strings.
im not a bass player but i know that ibanez bass' are good... my music teacher got one and he told me ibanez are good at making bass'... with that budget u could get a nice ibanez fer sure xD besides listen to the bleedin by cannibal corpse in that album he uses an ibanez and wow! xD....... im a stupid metal head and ill probably get a BC Rich and regret it xD but thats me
Quote by $lipKnoT
im not a bass player but i know that ibanez bass' are good... my music teacher got one and he told me ibanez are good at making bass'... with that budget u could get a nice ibanez fer sure xD besides listen to the bleedin by cannibal corpse in that album he uses an ibanez and wow! xD....... im a stupid metal head and ill probably get a BC Rich and regret it xD but thats me

The Bleedin' by Cannibal Cowboy

Ibanez is a pretty good brand.. Try a 5-string bass too, try a fretless, try everything. It's good to get a feel for different bass guitars. Avoid the $30-$150 brandless basses on eBay, you'll regret it.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
Last edited by cal1 at Aug 2, 2009,
Sorry, I don't know any Swede online stores, so I had ot link to Musician's Friend. http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR500-Soundgear-4String-Bass?sku=515055

If this is your budget for a bass, and you have a separate budget for an amp, you can't go wrong with this, unless you do nothing but slap.Even then, you can slap, it's just a bit harder to get used to.

What are you doing for an amp? You can't use your guitar amp, and playing acoustic only will hurt your technique. And it's not nearly as fun.