Hello.

Another "what amp should i buy"-thread, I know, I'm sorry! I'll try to make it as easy as possible for you by giving you some info about what I need.

1) I will use this amp with my POD x3 as my OD, therefore, I don't want a modeling amp because they tend to sound **** coupled with a POD.

2) I don't want to buy two things, like a head and a cab. A combo would fit me better.

3) Genres: Metalcore, Technical Death Metal, Death Metal, random shredding etc.

4) Usage: Pretty much individual play only as I'm not in a band atm. Therefore, good
sound at bedroom volume is a must!

5) I'm fine with getting an used amp, however, I want to avoid shipping/sending so it might be hard to get what I want.

6) Price range: About 600$/430€.

What would you suggest?

Thanks alot!
It really comes down to personal preference. I normally use a Valve Junior, but I've been using a Blues Junior borrowed from a friend for the last month. Both sound good. I personally like the Vj just as well as the Bj except for the volume capabilities of the Bj. I also have a PA, but really only like that for acoustic simulation. I've only tried the tech 21 power engine with an axe-fx which is also an option. I have yet to be in the same room with an atomic amp, but reviews seem to be pretty good. Best bet is to hit the store and start plugging into different amps in your price range.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Aug 2, 2009,
Blackstar HT-5 combo?
Greco 59-50 Mint Collection - 1982 - Iron Gear Hot Slag/Rolling Mill
Schecter Tempest Classic Goldtop
Ceriatone 18 Watt TMB/EF86 2x12 - Lorantz Greenback's
MI Audio Blues Pro Overdrive

Quote by Danyg
^ this guy defines the term "being right".
Quote by anubiz03
Bugera 6262 or 333xl combo.

/thread

Odd, american sites seems to sell those for about 450$, while sweden stores sells for like 800$ (in swedish money then)

So those might be abit expensive, what amps are there if we step down a price level?

Edit:

The blackstar looks quite good, it's pretty much in my price range aswell. Does it work good running with a POD?

Any more inputs?
Last edited by Panikak at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by scott58
It really comes down to personal preference. I normally use a Valve Junior, but I've been using a Blues Junior borrowed from a friend for the last month. Both sound good. I personally like the Vj just as well as the Bj except for the volume capabilities of the Bj. I also have a PA, but really only like that for acoustic simulation. I've only tried the tech 21 power engine with an axe-fx which is also an option. I have yet to be in the same room with an atomic amp, but reviews seem to be pretty good. Best bet is to hit the store and start plugging into different amps in your price range.

BJ volume

The Blues Junior is an awesome amp, but the speaker is a little flat. Depending of the replacement speaker you pick out, it can play just about anything, assuming you use something else to help drive it.

I used to play this one club all the time with a Blues Junior, and I played metal. They had a somewhat inexpensive half-stack with a 100 watt head, and I used to plug the Blues Junior into their speaker cab. I could crank the amp right up, which gave me much better sound than running the 100-watter on 3 or 4. I don't remember if the Junior (we named the dog Indiana) has a speaker out jack as the default though ... mine did, but then again I bought it secondhand from a guy that had already done some modding.
Quote by jean_genie
BJ volume

The Blues Junior is an awesome amp, but the speaker is a little flat. Depending of the replacement speaker you pick out, it can play just about anything, assuming you use something else to help drive it.

I used to play this one club all the time with a Blues Junior, and I played metal. They had a somewhat inexpensive half-stack with a 100 watt head, and I used to plug the Blues Junior into their speaker cab. I could crank the amp right up, which gave me much better sound than running the 100-watter on 3 or 4. I don't remember if the Junior (we named the dog Indiana) has a speaker out jack as the default though ... mine did, but then again I bought it secondhand from a guy that had already done some modding.

Sounds great, but I want a combo, not an amp+cab/speaker etc etc:/
The blues junior is a combo. You have a POD. Stay away from vypers, valvetronics or any of the modeling amps. They aren't going to do you much good. it will color your tone and not in a good way.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
The blues junior is a combo. You have a POD. Stay away from vypers, valvetronics or any of the modeling amps. They aren't going to do you much good. it will color your tone and not in a good way.

Oh, right, sorry. Will check it out then. The Valveking isn't good? Someone said it would be good in some other thread, with a POD
I've never tried a Valve king with a POD and never really cared for it on it's own, but i plugged a Fulltone OCD into one and it completely changed my opinion of the amp. It sounded great. Best bet is to try as much as you can. It's your money keep it in your pocket until your satisfied with the purchase.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
I've never tried a Valve king with a POD and never really cared for it on it's own, but i plugged a Fulltone OCD into one and it completely changed my opinion of the amp. It sounded great. Best bet is to try as much as you can. It's your money keep it in your pocket until your satisfied with the purchase.

Yeah I guess. Will have to bring my POD to the local shop then and try all of the different amps out:p
Quote by Panikak
Oh, right, sorry. Will check it out then. The Valveking isn't good? Someone said it would be good in some other thread, with a POD

General consensus is VK's need to be upgraded before you can get a decent tone out of them (Peavey uses cheap speakers and tubes in the VK's) but even after the upgrades I personally don't think that they sound that great.

I have no clue how one would sound with a POD though, stock or upgraded.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
General consensus is VK's need to be upgraded before you can get a decent tone out of them (Peavey uses cheap speakers and tubes in the VK's) but even after the upgrades I personally don't think that they sound that great.

I have no clue how one would sound with a POD though, stock or upgraded.

Aight, thanks for that info because I'm very, VERY, bad with electronics so I wouldn't be able to change speakers etc.

How is the Blackstar HT-5 then? Any good, compared to the Blues/Valve Juniors?
Quote by Panikak
Hello.

Another "what amp should i buy"-thread, I know, I'm sorry! I'll try to make it as easy as possible for you by giving you some info about what I need.

1) I will use this amp with my POD x3 as my OD, therefore, I don't want a modeling amp because they tend to sound **** coupled with a POD.

2) I don't want to buy two things, like a head and a cab. A combo would fit me better.

3) Genres: Metalcore, Technical Death Metal, Death Metal, random shredding etc.

4) Usage: Pretty much individual play only as I'm not in a band atm. Therefore, good
sound at bedroom volume is a must!

5) I'm fine with getting an used amp, however, I want to avoid shipping/sending so it might be hard to get what I want.

6) Price range: About 600$/430€.

What would you suggest?

Thanks alot!

At that point, you may be able to find amps that will do a much better metal sound then the POD, especially if you sold the POD
Look at some Bugera's and Line 6 Flextone, and a used 5150 for sure
Quote by mcrfobtai
At that point, you may be able to find amps that will do a much better metal sound then the POD, especially if you sold the POD
Look at some Bugera's and Line 6 Flextone, and a used 5150 for sure

No way i'd sell a POD/Blues jr for a flextone, but now it's getting into personal preference again. He needs to try as much as he can.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD