Hi,

I'm getting my Schecter with 81tw/89 soon, and I wanted to know the following.

My current amp is a VOX AD30VT-XL. Would it be better to buy separate effect pedals for distortion, delay etc, or should I just use the amp distortion settings?

I'm going to the guitarstore anyway so I could buy some more stuff if I'd like.

Again, current setup is:

OLP MetalArt Traben Design "thing" (lol, soon to be replaced by the schecter) -> dunlop gbc95 wah -> VOX AD30VT-XL

I do have a footswitch btw, it's all about tone...
1. Consider an amp upgrade.
2. Neither one is inherently better. All about what you like.

The obvious solution here is to get the Schecter, then just run it through your amp and if you're not satisfied, go get an OD. If you don't need one now, though, I doubt you'll want one with the Schecter.
I don't know about the VT series, but generally modeling amps don't take pedals well (i.e. a distortion pedal wouldn't sound good through the amp).

I agree with Ghold - stick with your amp distortion. Save the money that you would spend on a pedal and put it toward a new amp that comes stock with the tone you're looking for, then build upon that.
This amp is really good, especially for it's price. And I won't need anything bigger yet since I'm just a bedroomplayer still... But when I play at the schools talent show for example, it can easily handle that. Not even half volume

It's a tube preamp, it sounds wonderful really.
Quote by KoenDercksen
This amp is really good, especially for it's price. And I won't need anything bigger yet since I'm just a bedroomplayer still... But when I play at the schools talent show for example, it can easily handle that. Not even half volume

No one said that you have a bad amp.

The point that I was making is if you're unhappy with the amps distortion then a different amp would suit you better than a distortion pedal, since modelers generally don't take pedals well.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
I don't know about the VT series, but generally modeling amps don't take pedals well (i.e. a distortion pedal wouldn't sound good through the amp).

I agree with Ghold - stick with your amp distortion. Save the money that you would spend on a pedal and put it toward a new amp that comes stock with the tone you're looking for, then build upon that.

Valvetronix are actually quite good with many pedals. However I agree that an amp upgrade is the best suggestion, if he is unhappy with his tone.

POWER AMP. The tube is in the POWER AMP.

Haha, sorry it just gets to me everytime I see that!
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain
Last edited by Sampy at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by Sampy
Valvetronix are actually quite good with many pedals.

Well, like I said, I was just going by the general conception that modelers don't take pedals well. I stand corrected
Quote by KoenDercksen
Lol I know you didn't say that it is a bad amp... I'm not UNHAPPY with my tone, I just wanna know if I could eventually make it better using a pedal

Probably not enough so to justify spending money on it.
The only pedal that you really need with a Valvetronix is a wah, and that's only if you don't like the auto-wah on the amp. Everything else is built-in.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
nah, the amps distortion is better then most distortion pedals you can buy. Keep that for now, and get a better amp down the road
Quote by dudetheman
The only pedal that you really need with a Valvetronix is a wah, and that's only if you don't like the auto-wah on the amp. Everything else is built-in.

Sort of true. The effects are built in, but it is hard to access them in live situations. Yoiu can toggle the effects on and off. That is it. One effect per channel, and reverb counts as an effect. Fortunately I don't use many effects, but I'm still going to be gettin a delay pedal so I can have reverb and delay at the same time!

I guess that's what I get for buying what is basically a big (but very good) practice amp for gigs!
"Music snobbery is the worst kind of snobbery. 'Oh, you like those noises? Those sounds in your ear? Do you like them? They're the wrong sounds. You should like these sounds in your ear.'"
- Dara O'Briain