hi! i am diederik and i live in holland!
i am now playing the electrical guitar for a while, and i am still working with a NOOBISH 10 watts GLX mg-10 amplifier.
me and my guitar shredding friends thought that it would be time for a new amplifier, so i started looking on the internet and in the closest guitar shop...
but in the shop they only have full stacks starting from 700 euro's, and small combo's, and since i want a half stack...
then i looked on the musicstore.com website (website from the biggest instrument warehouse from europe) and there they had some nice half stacks, starting with prices from around 300 euro's (approx 450 dollars) which were cheap mass made models, created and sold to 10 different brands then putting their labels on it...

BUT the problem is that i am looking for a half stack, with a budget closing somewhere at 500 euro's ( 750 dollars) which is good enough for classic rock and metal
so, if you know a nice (half)stack in my budget, please send me the name and/or link, i would really appreciate it ^^

p.s. i also have 1 stack in mind, http://www.musicstore.com/nl_NL/EUR/Gitaren/Sets-Tops-cabinets/_SET_-Crate-GT-3500-Head-Fame-GN412A-Cabinet-Kabel/art-GIT154
if anyone knows if the top is nice or that it sucks, please tell me, then i can mark it/cross it out on the list :P
thank you ^^
Why a half-stack?
Combos can be even louder then half-stacks, but if you really want a HF, then for 500 you could get a Harley Benton 2x12 with V30 speakers and a good 15 watt head, maybe a HT-5 for classic rock and metal (though it might not be loud enough...)

Check out thomann.de, Bugera make fairly good metal amps that don't cost zillions of dollars...
What kinds of music do you play? Saying you play classic rock and metal can be saying you play everything.
I like 1/2stacks for ease of cab change, but i have to agree with the others your money is probably better spent on a combo. There are some pretty nice ones in that price range.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
well, i like combo's too, but the problem with combo's is that i first of all break my neck when i want to adjust the gain bass or any other option, and second of all if i **** up the pre-amp or speaker of something else, i have to replace it, and when that happens, most of the time the rest of your combo is also broke anyway, off course combo's are good, but i just prefer half stacks/full stacks, because if i suddenly change music taste, or want another cab or top i can just buy another one, and i just plain like big things :P

and in very special occasions i can buy used ones, but i don't have any experience buying used stuff which makes it harder for me to do so...
but i just like stacks over combo's, and in A REALLY SPECIAL CASE i would buy an used one
thanks ^^
Quote by diedoman
BUT the problem is that i am looking for a half stack, with a budget closing somewhere at 500 euro's ( 750 dollars) which is good enough for classic rock and metal
so, if you know a nice (half)stack in my budget, please send me the name and/or link, i would really appreciate it

You're almost definitely gonna need more than that if you want a good half-stack.
Halfstacks cost MORE money of you want just as good sound as a good combo [a good combo costs less].
Buy a combo.

But, if you really want a stack due to your tiny penis, look at the Peavey Windsor.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by stykerwolf
Not really, you can fit a cheep 2x12 and an ok head for under that price (that is gigable with)

I don't really count 1 2x12 + 1 head as a half stack. "Half-stack" always means "4x12" to me.
Quote by Flying Couch
You're almost definitely gonna need more than that if you want a good half-stack.

I agree he needs to up the cash a bit.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
well i know that combo's can be better and everything, but i just don't like them don't ask me why :P
and thanx for the website, i am going to check it out now ^^
but can you also give some comments about the link posted in my first message, because i am not sure if it is a good one, and money is not really a case, i can crank it up to 5oo or 600 euro's if i want (i am not sure about the dollar prices but that would be something like 800 or 900 dollars)
hey ghold125 thnx for the links, i am considering the head now, not sure about the 2x12 yet, but thanks! ^^
Quote by Ghold125
It's another ****ty Crate solid state amp, don't bother with it.

Yeah, I had a GT 1200 that was a very sad piece of equipment.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
you know what guys, you are right, half stacks are a waste of money, i think i am going back to the guitar shop on tuesday to look for a combo, not sure to buy a tube amp, but i'll just look on tuesday and try some of them out, some people out here still know a nice combo for not to much cash?
Quote by diedoman
you know what guys, you are right, half stacks are a waste of money, i think i am going back to the guitar shop on tuesday to look for a combo, not sure to buy a tube amp, but i'll just look on tuesday and try some of them out, some people out here still know a nice combo for not to much cash?

Not sure about availability or price in Holland, but the Peavey Classic 30 is pretty much the reigning king of mid-power budget tube amps, for good reason. You might want to grab an OD/Dist. pedal if you get one though.
I kinda got a love affair going on with the Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Wanna try it with my superplextortion before I make a final decision.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
so you mean that i look for the peavey classic over there, and ask if i can try on a nice OD pedal on it and if they both sound nice just do it? sounds cool, but it is not like the huge guitar center you have in amerika, it's a small shop, but i think it will work out just fine, but one more thing before i go, should i buy an amplifier having distortion/overdrive or buy a seperate pedal?
I prefer small shops, but the pedal part is up to you and your taste. i happen to have a specific pedal i'll never part with, but it also sounds good flavored with some amp distortion.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by diedoman
so you mean that i look for the peavey classic over there, and ask if i can try on a nice OD pedal on it and if they both sound nice just do it? sounds cool, but it is not like the huge guitar center you have in amerika, it's a small shop, but i think it will work out just fine, but one more thing before i go, should i buy an amplifier having distortion/overdrive or buy a seperate pedal?

Most amps nowadays have some form of distortion built into them. Whether or not you need a pedal just varies from amp to amp. With my Peavey Classic 30, yes, it definitely needed the pedal I use (Visual Sound V2 Jekkyl and Hyde). But I hear some guys using them with no pedals at all, bone stock amps, sounding amazing. You just gotta try the amp first. If you think it's OD tone is close, but not quite, then try it with a pedal.
well thanks everyone, for all your help and advice on the amplifier problem, i will tell you how it all turned out on tuesday, hoping that i will then have found the new amp i was looking for ^^
thanks everyone!
Quote by diedoman
hi! i am diederik and i live in holland!
i am now playing the electrical guitar for a while, and i am still working with a NOOBISH 10 watts GLX mg-10 amplifier.
me and my guitar shredding friends thought that it would be time for a new amplifier, so i started looking on the internet and in the closest guitar shop...
but in the shop they only have full stacks starting from 700 euro's, and small combo's, and since i want a half stack...
then i looked on the musicstore.com website (website from the biggest instrument warehouse from europe) and there they had some nice half stacks, starting with prices from around 300 euro's (approx 450 dollars) which were cheap mass made models, created and sold to 10 different brands then putting their labels on it...

so, if you know a nice (half)stack in my budget, please send me the name and/or link, i would really appreciate it ^^

p.s. i also have 1 stack in mind, http://www.musicstore.com/nl_NL/EUR/Gitaren/Sets-Tops-cabinets/_SET_-Crate-GT-3500-Head-Fame-GN412A-Cabinet-Kabel/art-GIT154
if anyone knows if the top is nice or that it sucks, please tell me, then i can mark it/cross it out on the list :P
thank you ^^

IF I WAS YOU I WOULD GET IT (350 WATTS)
Quote by Ghold125
It's another ****ty Crate solid state amp, don't bother with it.

I have to go the other way on this one.. That sh!tty Crate amp is actually a clone of a VH140c but with a ton more headroom..

So its actually not that bad of a purchase and can take him a long way..
Quote by IbanezPsycho
I have to go the other way on this one.. That sh!tty Crate amp is actually a clone of a VH140c but with a ton more headroom..

So its actually not that bad of a purchase and can take him a long way..

The Flexwaves are? Never heard that.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
well actually, i went to the store on monday (unexpected day off)
but all the guitar shops were out of town for a couple of days, so i am going to check again on the 18th of august, maybe i am going to buy a stack, maybe a combo, all depends on my credit, and the sound, if it will be the case that i buy nothing, i will reconsider the crate amplifier, because i think that it would be great for classic rock, and also, if it sucks, i still have a 30 days warranty that says that i will get ALL my money back if i don't like it ^^
so thanks guys, i am going to try again the 18th, then again i will tell you how it went, and then if i bought nothing, you can help me again on the decision of the crate half stack ^^
thanks again! ^^