Greetings dudes.

So....when I acquired my cheap ass acoustic, I had a "Pro" lower the action, bone nut, fret dress.

Now I know a little about what I am looking at, I have decided my frets suck balls and seeing as it's a cheap guitar, I thought about re-fretting it.

The fingerboard is flat. Should I add a 20 inch or so radius to it?

I don't have nut files yet, so I can't re cut the nut if I change the radius.

The fret height at the moment is just over 1mm and they are 2.4mm wide frets.

How much room should I leave for dressing the frets and re-crowning them...should I get 1.2 or 1.47mmm high fret wire? More?

I can always shim the nut a touch to raise it, rather than run the frets down to fit.

Can I do this with some ground down end nippers and a suitable soft mallet?

Here is a pic of a bad one. 9th fret.

Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Aug 2, 2009,
Replacing frets is not cheap, and probably cost more then your cheap ass guitar did. A little fileing would surely help but that fret does not look so bad. Get the right files, and they are also not cheap, and crown the frets if really needed. Otherwise just leave it if you dont know what you are doing.
Quote by sstony
Replacing frets is not cheap, and probably cost more then your cheap ass guitar did. A little fileing would surely help but that fret does not look so bad. Get the right files, and they are also not cheap, and crown the frets if really needed. Otherwise just leave it if you dont know what you are doing.

Thanks for that.

I know what I am doing, but have not yet done it, and I was looking for the opinion of more experienced persons.

And the intention is to replace the frets myself, so it will be cheap.

Having frets with flat tops, does not seem right to me...so I want shiny new ones, with crowns.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Then crown them, there is plenty of meat on those frets by looking at your pic you´ll only need to do a little filing.
Quote by sstony
Then crown them, there is plenty of meat on those frets by looking at your pic you´ll only need to do a little filing.

You could well be right. With those widths, would a medium Crowning file be wide enough? I know I can use a triangular file, but I suspect proper crowning files would be better.

I'm also not too sure if my fingerboard is entirely flat...most likely not, so I intended to level that, install new frets etc.

I think you are probably right with the crowning part though.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani
They look kind of like the old bar frets Martin used to use. I'd say just crown them first and see how it is.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
It´s always better to use the proper tools, that way you´ll get right. Go to your guitar shop and see if they will lend you a file or 2. Not all frets are the same you know, The file has to fit the frets for it to work right, also I would tape up the fret board so that when you slip off and you will slip off, you wont hurt the fret board.
Quote by sstony
It´s always better to use the proper tools, that way you´ll get right. Go to your guitar shop and see if they will lend you a file or 2. Not all frets are the same you know, The file has to fit the frets for it to work right, also I would tape up the fret board so that when you slip off and you will slip off, you wont hurt the fret board.

Good point, well put. I am likely to use a steel fret guard thing that I happen to have.

I am aware that not all frets are made equal As in my sig, I can get fret files etc discounted, so will likely go that route and crown them.

Cheers for the advice.
Quote by Cal UK

I support Shay van Fani