Bobby McFerrin is the shit.
Quote by herby190
Every thread I've seen you in has been a complete success. Yay you!

Quote by theking182
i'm voting for GNiCk89. i just like how he speaks TO me, not AT me.

Quote by \m/Angus\m/
Yea, Sublime is a great band. You have an Underoath icon, so I think your opinion doesn't matter.
Nice.
How long before someone has a go at him for only using the pentatonic scale?
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That's quite cool.

This is all I have to say.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I always knew the pentatonic was the most powerful scale of them all...take that chromatic!

Also what Deliriumbassist said.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
freakin sweet!
If you're a hot chick you've probably got a good chance with the lead singer or guitar player, If you're a little bit overweight, you should probably go for the drummer. If you're a dude, go for the bass player
Can someone tell me what's happening? I'm on my iPod's safari and can't watch flash or whatever it is.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Quote by MightyAl
Nice.
How long before someone has a go at him for only using the pentatonic scale?

well, he was just pentatonic wanking nothing special

that was actually really cool.
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Cool man.
Oh, you wouldn't want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise, they wouldn't wanna watch
Wouldn't this mean Kirk Hammett's been controlling us all along?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Quote by Karvid
Wouldn't this mean Kirk Hammett's been controlling us all along?

Kirk uses minor pentatonic - Bobby used major.

But what is the amazing thing about this? The audience anticipated the third note which is the same as a normal major scale and then when he went to the note below the tonic i.e. the first note distinguishing the scale from a normal major scale, he sang it - the crowd didn't anticipate it.

What am I missing?
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
That if you ask most people to sing the pentatonic scale they'll have no clue what any of the notes are.
Quote by cardboardcorn
That if you ask most people to sing the pentatonic scale they'll have no clue what any of the notes are.

If you ask most people to sing a major scale they wont be able to do it either - and this is from experience.

But what I'm saying is that the audience only knew the notes because he prompted them, he sang the notes for them and they just copied.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
^^^Did you watch the whole 3 minutes? He goes down two more and then right back up to higher than what he sang for the audience without prompting them
Quote by Nietsche
^^^Did you watch the whole 3 minutes? He goes down two more and then right back up to higher than what he sang for the audience without prompting them

Yeah, but by that time he had emphatically established the fact that it was a pentatonic scale and so perhaps the only impressive thing is that the audience was not entirely tone deaf.

EDIT: One can also hear the audience singing slightly off some notes during certain note changes and then later finding the right pitch - which makes it seem like they were perhaps just singing what the more musically inclined people in the audience were singing and not anticipating the notes themselves.
Last edited by JamesDouglas at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by JamesDouglas
Yeah, but by that time he had emphatically established the fact that it was a pentatonic scale and so perhaps the only impressive thing is that the audience was not entirely tone deaf.

EDIT: One can also hear the audience singing slightly off some notes during certain note changes and then later finding the right pitch - which makes it seem like they were perhaps just singing what the more musically inclined people in the audience were singing and not anticipating the notes themselves.

they're on the extreme notes.

the ones that are on the edge of people's vocal abilities (whether that be too high for them or too low)
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
That's awesome.
Quote by abstract pie
Ahh the pit. Where conversations of Pokemon Cards can turn into ones of wizard homosexuality

You are everything I want...
...'Cause you are...

...Everything I'm not.

Atheism. Is. Not. A. Religion.
Today's saints were yesterday's sellouts
I think the audience skipped the 7th degree because it was harder to "hear" than other degrees of the major scale. Combined with McFerrin's larger jump, they instinctively went to the next tone down on the diatonic scale, the 6th degree, which establishes the pentatonic scale.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
That's awesome, who is this man?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
i think he basically established the pentatonic intervals at first, and after they were locked into a certain pattern in their heads, they didn't think to use any of the tones in between the ones he wanted them to go to, even though they would've sounded just fine musically. It certainly doesn't prove that we are most comfortable with the pentatonic scale, but it's an interesting display of our ability to sense intervals and predict them without musical training.
Last edited by Glen'sHeroicAct at Aug 2, 2009,
Quote by ScottB.
That's awesome, who is this man?

if my memory serves me correct, he's the guy that wrote that Don't Worry Be Happy song

Quote by JamesDouglas

I remember reading some article somewhere about how large groups of people (eg: soccer stadiums and such) can stay in tune surprisingly well, about how a large majority of people are not completely tone deaf
Last edited by seljer at Aug 2, 2009,