Page 1 of 2
Am I the only one who finds bands playing too loudly unpleasant?

I saw the Buzzcocks last night at a local festival and I was right at the front, but the sound was terrible all the tone from the guitar amp had gone. It was just this awful twangy sort of wall of sound, and none of the other instruments were turned up as much. I kind help feeling if they turned the guitars amps down a bit it would have sounded a hell of a lot better.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
Fender American Strat
-
Fender Tuner | Dunlop Wah | BD-2 | DS-2 | MXR Distortion III | Phase 90 | Small Clone | Carbon Copy
-
Blackstar HT-5 | Orange PPC 112
absolutly. i agree with you 100 percent. i actually saw dream theater last night on the progressive nation tour. what was really interesting was the first couple of bands scale the summit and big elf were SO FREAKING LOUD. there was no frequency manipulation or anything. everything just sounded all mashed together in a loud wal of sound. then dream theater came on and it was absolutly perfect. not as loud..but everything just the right level.
Dude you saw the buzzcocks, stop bitching. Lucky bastard
>>-(ಠ_ಠ-<<
>>-(. Y .)-<<
>>> . (<<<
>>-( Y )-<<
Quote by dudetheman
Dude, your fucking sig creeps me out.

Quote by Kosh H
I just noticed his sig too...I feel uncomfortable now...

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Your sig killed my boner _

DIY SO-CAL PUNK LABEL
Quote by DempseyPunk

Nothing like 50 year old men jumping round to music that suited them in their teens
Fender American Strat
-
Fender Tuner | Dunlop Wah | BD-2 | DS-2 | MXR Distortion III | Phase 90 | Small Clone | Carbon Copy
-
Quote by DempseyPunk

+1
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
Quote by Ekofu
This is why they sell plentiful amounts of beer at festivals.

Don't forget the green
Fender American Strat
-
-
If its too loud, then your too old.
Quote by 7stringusr
+99999999999999999999999999999999

Guitars

Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos
"Jackson Warrior" (still needs funding)

Amplol

Crate GT65

Pedals

Vox Satchurator
Cry Baby
Phraser

My Last.fm

Fallout 3 Data
I have seen a few bands where the guitar was way too loud, Frank Zappa comes to mind, it is quite painful. (during his 20 min improvs)

Still nice to have seen him 3 times though.
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 2, 2009,
The first gig I went to, I was surprised at how loud it was. It was only a small venue, so it probably made it seem louder. You get used to it after the first song though.
Quote by WantsLesPaul
*Peter laugh*Buzzcocks.

It's not like they were called the Cocks, they're called the Buzzcocks.
funkyducky

Icing happen when de puck come down, BANG, you know,
before de oder guys, nobody dere, you know.
My arm go comme ça, den de game stop den start up.

Quote by daytripper75
Get To Da Choppa!
you gotta be proud to be loud
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
^
shanchett, you get an E for Effort

Quote by CodChick

ROFLLOBSTER
Nevermind the Buzzcocks...

Nah, I agree, when it gets to such a degree that you're distracted from the music by how loud it is, it's too loud.
I dislike when any one instrument in particular is so loud that it overrides the rest of the band or other instruments being played.
Lord knows I'm weak, won't somebody get me off of this reef...
Quote by Into The Unknow
If it's too loud, then you're too old.

fixed.
=]
You're = You are
Your = Belongs to you

There = Not here
Their = Belongs to them
They're = They are
Thx.

Quote by Tim the Rocker
Good grammar is like sex. It feels good.
Quote by Into The Unknow

+1
Quote by metalcore123
I hate trying to cover up my cheese in school because the bimbo next to me dislikes the smell of pure love.

I'm bringing farts back!
Quote by Into The Unknow

Quote by 7stringusr

Sorry but I am just tranced by your avatar. Sure I believe whatever you say *carries on staring at avatar*
Fender American Strat
-
-
Why thank you 09'er your wisdom is inspiring.

i didn't even notice the mistake lol i just wanted to put that up there cause even tho i'm 23 i still love my music very ****ing loud
Quote by 7stringusr

Guitars

Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos

Amplol

Crate GT65

Pedals

Vox Satchurator
Cry Baby
Phraser

My Last.fm

Fallout 3 Data
Quote by Into The Unknow

Tell that to the 18 year old guy I know who's eardrum actually perforated at a Trivium gig.
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
Nozstock, by any chance?

The Joy Formidable appeared to be the only decent band on.

--

My ears were wrecked for a while after seeing The Twilight Sad and The Joy Formidable back to back at Hop Farm a few weeks back - it was basically 2 hours of solid noise.

Also, I believe people are given earplugs and encouraged to leave if it gets too noisy at My Bloody Valentine gigs.
Quote by 7stringusr

totally getting sig'd
Quote by 7stringusr

Guitars

Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos

Amplol

Crate GT65

Pedals

Vox Satchurator
Cry Baby
Phraser

My Last.fm

Fallout 3 Data
Quote by urbanfox
Nozstock, by any chance?

The Joy Formidable appeared to be the only decent band on.

--

My ears were wrecked for a while after seeing The Twilight Sad and The Joy Formidable back to back at Hop Farm a few weeks back - it was basically 2 hours of solid noise.

Also, I believe people are given earplugs and encouraged to leave if it gets too noisy at My Bloody Valentine gigs.

Yea, were you there?
It wasn't really that great this year.

There was a band before the Buzzcocks with a female guitarist/singer playing Sonic Youth type that were amazing. But I can't remember their name
Fender American Strat
-
-
The Joy Formidable was the band I was on about I got to get that album...
Fender American Strat
-
-
Nah, I didn't go. The lineup looked bollocks. I know someone who did go though.

Also, their album is a free download...
Quote by urbanfox
Nah, I didn't go. The lineup looked bollocks. I know someone who did go though.

Also, their album is a free download...

Yea it wasn't the greatest. So many people trying to sell pills, weed and laughing gas it was stupid.
Fender American Strat
-
-
The only things I could understand at at Ted Nugent concert were:

"So I was in New York and I said, 'HEY HILLARY! WHY DON'T YOU RIDE ONE OF THESE INTO THE SUNSET YOU WORTHLESS BITCH?!' Then I was in Chicago and I said, 'HEY OBAMA CHEW ON MY MACHINE GUN YA PUNK!!!'"

and

"FREEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!"

All whilst he (the Nuge) lofted two AR-15s in the air.
Quote by MercyfulFate505
The only things I could understand at at Ted Nugent concert were:

"So I was in New York and I said, 'HEY HILLARY! WHY DON'T YOU RIDE ONE OF THESE INTO THE SUNSET YOU WORTHLESS BITCH?!' Then I was in Chicago and I said, 'HEY OBAMA CHEW ON MY MACHINE GUN YA PUNK!!!'"

and

"FREEEEEEEEDOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!"

All whilst he (the Nuge) lofted two AR-15s in the air.

Well it's a Ted Nugent gig, what did you expect?
Fender American Strat
-
-
I was at a Satriani gig last year that was so loud that i felt electric shockwaves go through my brain during his stupidly long feedback torture. My friend had the same experience, it was like having an aural seizure.

When half the audience have their fingers in their ears and the other half are wearing earplugs, you'd think somebody on stage (well, someone who wasn't wearing ****ing sunglasses in the dark) or someone behind the sound board would notice and take the hint... but no. It only seemed to get worse and as a result it was almost impossible to hear what was being played because it just all became a wall of noise.

I like loud gigs, but this was loud on a whole other level. Usually there's a ringing sound afterwards that lasts for the rest of the night and sometimes the next morning, but this was more like a refridgerator in my head and it lasted for almost 4 days.

tl;dr - **** Joe Satriani. **** him right in his ego.
Owned.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

SRV played loud... And rocked.
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
Page 1 of 2