Title says it all.

Edit: Do bass amps need to be as loud as guitar amps?
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Last edited by Guitar2theface at Aug 2, 2009,
100-200 watts
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
No. Louder. A lot louder. Bass frequencies are 'harder' to hear, in other words they are not so 'obvious' to the human ear. For this reason, and for others I'm sure, the bass wattage needs to be a lot more. I'm sure you'll get a better response than this in this thread, but I guess maybe as a rule of thumb you're going to want 2-3x the combined wattage of the other guitarists in the band. This of course goes way out the window when you are being mic'd/DI'd, which is a much simpler solution anyway. In other words, if you're just starting to look at playing gigs (which I assume you are judging by the question you asked), then you're better off going through a DI box anyway, in which case you obviously don't have to worry about wattage. Good times. For the future, when you're more serious about a rig, you're going to be wanting to seriously outnumber any guitarist(s) in terms of wattage.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
In general, we in the bass forum go for 5 - 6 times the wattage when dealing with tube amps. Tube amps appear to be louder than SS amps due to harmonics and the physics of the sound produced, so I would go for 300w roughly.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
In general, we in the bass forum go for 5 - 6 times the wattage when dealing with tube amps. Tube amps appear to be louder than SS amps due to harmonics and the physics of the sound produced, so I would go for 300w roughly.

which is a good number when playing with a drummer too
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit

Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
Oh TUBE, ok. This guy is more on the money then ^
Quote by bodyheatseeker
That is simultaneously brilliant and obscene. I honestly don't know if I despise, or admire you.

Quote by Scutchington
If I had room, I would sig that entire post.

basschat.co.uk
Tube or solid state, I go with having at least 4x the total onstage guitar wattage.

Bridge pickup users who stand by their amps playing in bands without distorted guitars saying you only need 2x the wattage need not apply.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Tube or solid state, I go with having at least 4x the total onstage guitar wattage.

Bridge pickup users who stand by their amps playing in bands without distorted guitars saying you only need 2x the wattage need not apply.

I use the bridge pickup Fitz, i use it and abuse it, Yeaaaa!
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
And the rest of the sentence I wrote?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Eh well on that point,

*pulls collar and walks away*

I jam with a ska band......
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Guitar2theface

What would be the wattage equivalent of a 30-50W tube guitar amp?

200w - 300watts
Quote by Guitar2theface

Edit: Do bass amps need to be as loud as guitar amps?

yes! and at least as loud as the kick drum.