Page 1 of 2
Hey I've been playing for about 4-5 months I'm not really sure, I've got the good old hundred dollar fender squier. But I love playing guitar and I'm totally dedicated I play for hours every day. I usually play rock and alternative. I want something under $400 But I'll still consider it if its a little more. I was thinking about the Epiphone G-400 which I've seen for $299 and from what I hear they are pretty great! But could I get something better used or something? There is no shortage of guitar shops here, I know of three off the top of my head!

Thanks!
4-5 months... if i were you i would wait until i hit the 1 year mark before buying another guitar. you can say your all dedicated and stuff but just stick with your squier.

also. whats your amp? a crappy guitar thru a nice amp will sound better than a nice guitar thru a crappy amp. ie - (squier into blues junior or something) > ('59 gibson LP into spider 3)
Quote by colt34
Hey I've been playing for about 4-5 months I'm not really sure, I've got the piece of **** hundred dollar fender squier. But I love playing guitar and I'm totally dedicated I play for hours every day. I usually play rock and alternative. I want something under $400 But I'll still consider it if its a little more. I was thinking about the Epiphone G-400 which I've seen for $299 and from what I hear they are pretty great! But could I get something better used or something? There is no shortage of guitar shops here, I know of three off the top of my head!

Thanks!

Fixed

Epiphone G400's are alright. Look into some Agiles or Vintage Les Pauls if you want.
Oh yeah I have one of the worst amps out there Fender SP-10. My friend has an amp for me to buy thats better. And I don't really care I'd LOVE to have another guitar my birthdays coming up and I've got plenty of money. So hopefully I'll take a trip to the guitar shop on my birthday and get one with some birthday money and some of mine.
Quote by colt34
Oh yeah I have one of the worst amps out there Fender SP-10. My friend has an amp for me to buy thats better. And I don't really care I'd LOVE to have another guitar my birthdays coming up and I've got plenty of money. So hopefully I'll take a trip to the guitar shop on my birthday and get one with some birthday money and some of mine.

What amp is it?
If you're going to upgrade, you should upgrade big. Going from a Squier to an Epiphone G-400 is not that much of a step up really. And wait around a bit before you upgrade, because you can say you're dedicated now, but 6 months down the line you might not be that into it any more. But, hey, it's your choice. If you ARE going to upgrade, you should look into Agiles, and maybe an Ibanez RG321 if you're into metal. They are great guitars for the money.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
Why do you want a guitar upgrade?
- If you want better sound -> new amp.
- If you wanted more features on the new guitar, you wouldn't really pick a G-400.
- If you want it just for the humbuckers, well, maybe you wouldn't even notice much difference after only 4-5 months of playing.
- If you just want a new guitar to have a new guitar *insert something what tells you not to do it*.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Well I'm new to this compared to most obviously. But I've got a $40 dollar amp and it sucks it doesn't even work half the time. The problem is when I get to solos and things and start playing high notes really fast they just don't sound right and the sound fades really fast. And I blame the guitar because even when it's not plugged in it does the same. I don't think it's me either. ALSO I can't do harmonics, I can get my guitar and amp to squeak just not squeal. I've been thinking thats my amp because it has no gain just an overdrive button.
The amp is the squier SP-10 The new one I'm not really sure as I've never seen it. All I know is it has a gain knob. YESS
Quote by colt34
Well I'm new to this compared to most obviously. But I've got a $40 dollar amp and it sucks it doesn't even work half the time. The problem is when I get to solos and things and start playing high notes really fast they just don't sound right and the sound fades really fast. And I blame the guitar because even when it's not plugged in it does the same. I don't think it's me either. ALSO I can't do harmonics, I can get my guitar and amp to squeak just not squeal. I've been thinking thats my amp because it has no gain just an overdrive button.

Then buy a new amp, not a guitar! The new guitar will sound quite much the same with your amp.

Also, maybe the high notes you do might overlap and don't sound right.
What kind of harmonics can't you do? Natural or pinch harmonics?
If you mean pinch harmonics, get sure you selected only one of your pickups, and maybe your technique is not the best also.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I am getting a new amp. And yeah I was doing pinch harmonics, I looked up like a million tutorials and videos and I've tried hundreds of times and I havent done it. I can get a really loud squeackish noise but never a squeal, I've read that I need to turn the gain way up on the amp to do this and since my amp doesn't even have that I thought that would be the problem. And no I'm pretty sure that my high notes don't overlap. Even when I just play one note it sounds really clean and just not right and it fades really quickly. Once again the amp?
dude u know its tough when ppl are screaming at u to get a new amp and u want a guitar but if u get a new guitar u will be shocked at how little diff it makes, save up and get a whole new setup
I already am getting a new amp
And I want a new guitar also. I just wanted to know what a good one was.
squeals come from bending a pinch harmonic, and are usualy done with a floyd rose.
the high notes fading will be because of the string tension probs or the setup of the guitar
If you want humbuckers, buy a single coil size humbucker and fit it to your guitar?

And to the guy saying a new guitar makes all the difference: it makes all the difference if your good enough. You wont magicly play better on a better guitar unless you have the skill to, and after playing for 4-5 months, i doubt he's got to the point where a new guitar will make a differnce.

As has been said: wait until the year mark at least to get a new guitar
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
what amp r u getting?
GEAR

1966 MUSTANG

valveking 112

markley tuner
Ernie Ball Wah
digitech whammy
fulltone ocd
usa big muff
boss dd7
boss rc-2

Quote by simpleben09
You sir have a mean ass rig. Have a great day.
I wouldn't recommend buying an amp just because it has a gain knob and you don't know what it is.
Quote by BeefCakes
I wouldn't recommend buying an amp just because it has a gain knob and you don't know what it is.

Ah yes, forgot about that

If you want distortion, just buy a pedal at this point. No point getting a whole new amp...
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
u cant get no pinch squeal out of a strat without a humbucker.
"Black gives way to more black."

I have UG Black Style and I can barely read my signature.

Also, I like black.

~DawnwalkerALL HAIL COMRADE DAWNWALKER
Quote by Dawnwalker

Moving on, you've said a couple times you're getting a new amp, but you have yet to tell us what you're getting, which is of the utmost importance because if you're "upgrading" to a P.o.S. amp then that's money wasted. Let the good people of UG know what kind of amp you're getting so they can best help you.

Personally, I played a Squier for over 2 years before I got a new guitar, in that time I got 2 new amps and I promise you that switching amps made a huge difference in my sound. To give you an idea, I played a friends Gibson LP through my crap amp and my crap strat through a nicer amp and the better sound came out of the better amp. Just keep that in mind.
Oh it's from my friend, He's giving it to me for ten bucks so its worth it to me. Not sure what kind it is. I'm satisfied with the sound of my amp. It's ONLY when I get to the high notes.
Last edited by colt34 at Aug 2, 2009,
He never told me because he wasn't with it when he told me about it. So I'm not sure, It's a small amp and it has gain. What amp would you recommend getting?

Thanks For all the Help! i really appreciate it
Quote by Luxifer
4-5 months... if i were you i would wait until i hit the 1 year mark before buying another guitar. you can say your all dedicated and stuff but just stick with your squier.

also. whats your amp? a crappy guitar thru a nice amp will sound better than a nice guitar thru a crappy amp. ie - (squier into blues junior or something) > ('59 gibson LP into spider 3)

I agree- After a year of playing I got my intermediate level guitar, and it has worked out well for me. Give it some more time and start researching what you like. (I am a Jackson man myself...but thats just me)

Also, start considering amps like the fellow above me said... Good Luck!
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
at my 1 year mark, i bought my Epi LP. it definitely sounds different than my squier strat. i only bought the guitar cuz i could afford it at the time and not an amp. i should have saved up but i had an Ibanez Tube King pedal which improves my sound so much with the 12AX7. i still sound like **** compared to "intermediate" players but oh well, im waiting for that Rebel 20 to come to papa.
Quote by Dawnwalker

Actually I managed to do it on my Squier Strat, you just have to make sure you have the right technique. Doesn't sound ideal, but it does squeal nicely. Best with string bending.
This kid is frustrating as hell. He obviously doesn't appreciate the tone a quality amp can give him. You've only been playing for 4 months, you aren't good enough to deserve a new guitar.
He's playing on plywood and I consider feel much more important than tone. Most people on UG would never admit it, but I bet most people would rather play their dream guitar through a Marshall MG rather than a First Act through a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier.
No I Totally appreciate the sound of a good amp! Thats why I'm getting a new one. I've been trying to get ahold of him but he hasn't replied so I can't tell you what kind it is. The thing is I can get a new guitar and I would love to get one, I can afford it. I'm sorry if i'm frustrating, I'm just new. Don't know what I'm talking about haha
Quote by colt34
No I Totally appreciate the sound of a good amp! Thats why I'm getting a new one. I've been trying to get ahold of him but he hasn't replied so I can't tell you what kind it is. The thing is I can get a new guitar and I would love to get one, I can afford it. I'm sorry if i'm frustrating, I'm just new. Don't know what I'm talking about haha

If he's going to sell it to you for $10 then it probably sucks. Why would you buy an amp if you don't even know who made it?

You get what you pay for (most of the time).
^^ hes right. and your only buying it because it has gain on it. what you should do is buy a decent used amp and then either buy a new guitar with the money you have left over, or upgrade your squier or save up some more money and buy a new guitar.
[img]http://cdn.gs.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/v.gif[/img]
x10 AMP is much more important for your sound than the guitar

hold of on the guitar and buy a Good AMP (or at least decent). You have to spend some money to get a solid amp, $10 for another practice amp won't do you much.

Look into a low cost tube amp if you can spend $3-400 (Blackstar HT-5, B52 AT112, etc), or a cube/vypyr if you only can spend $100-200.
Alright since I've never really had anything against my amp, and I've had plenty against my guitar though, I think I'll get the guitar first and play it through my friends amp, which I still consider worth getting as my practice amp doesn't even work half the time. Then I will get a better $100-200 amp (cube/vypr). I can have both soon enough (1-2 months) Then I can play a decent guitar through a decent amp. Does that sound okay to you guys?

Now can I hear some suggestions for some equipment please?

I'm sorry for being so confusing, but once again I really appreciate all the help thank you
I take it you're in the US, so I'll recommend Agile, Epiphone, and if you can get one used an HSS Fender Strat. If you can get them, Cort make great guitars, too!
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by Section 5
If you're going to upgrade, you should upgrade big. Going from a Squier to an Epiphone G-400 is not that much of a step up really. And wait around a bit before you upgrade, because you can say you're dedicated now, but 6 months down the line you might not be that into it any more. But, hey, it's your choice. If you ARE going to upgrade, you should look into Agiles, and maybe an Ibanez RG321 if you're into metal. They are great guitars for the money.

Alright this isn't much of a step up...? I've heard they were great guitars. I was probably going to get one... I'm really not into metal. I like rock and alternative mostly. under 400! I will consider more though thanks

Amps too please
Quote by colt34

Maybe one of the reasons why it gets quieter when you play faster up on the higher frets is because your technique. At your stage, don't be bothered trying to play fast without playing slow first. You'll just do it wrong (which you are doing now, because even on higher frets on cheap guitars I can still get clear notes coming from my guitar), and get frustrated. First hand experience on this. Trust me, I had the same problem as you around that stage, just slow down with your playing and speed up gradually.

/friendly tip that comes on a bit angrily
Cam Sampbell's my hero
I know exactly where you're coming from. When I first started, I had an acoustic that my father had dug out of damn dumpster and made playable. Then 3 weeks later, he went to a pawn shop and got me a Peavey T-27 and a first act (vomit) amp. It was s*** but it was all I had. I didn't know it was s*** at the time though because I had only been playing about 2 months....yeah. I learned on that, and then invested in a dean...mostly because of the shape (ML) and somewhat because of Dimebag (RIP). I loved the ML, and still have it. but then my amp broke. So he went to this same pawn shop and bought me the same amp you play and my Peavey sounded ok. My dead sounded...ok. Then I worked my ass off and bought a line 6 from Guitar center...f***ing awful amp. But I loved it because I bought it with my money and mowed a thousand lawns to get it. Then I got a job and got my epiphone. After that I bought a Fender 212R and loved it. Ultimately it is the amp that makes the sound though, literally and tonally. I'd listen to these fine folks here. They're usually right.
Quote by Lil Macker
Maybe one of the reasons why it gets quieter when you play faster up on the higher frets is because your technique. At your stage, don't be bothered trying to play fast without playing slow first. You'll just do it wrong (which you are doing now, because even on higher frets on cheap guitars I can still get clear notes coming from my guitar), and get frustrated. First hand experience on this. Trust me, I had the same problem as you around that stage, just slow down with your playing and speed up gradually.

/friendly tip that comes on a bit angrily

Thank you,
I've been trying this, going slower. And it definitely helps my technique! Thanks. But still my problem is the notes fade REALLY fast even when I go slow. I'm going to take it to a guitar shop and get it re-set up and see if that helps.
Quote by Monkey Business
I know exactly where you're coming from. When I first started, I had an acoustic that my father had dug out of damn dumpster and made playable. Then 3 weeks later, he went to a pawn shop and got me a Peavey T-27 and a first act (vomit) amp. It was s*** but it was all I had. I didn't know it was s*** at the time though because I had only been playing about 2 months....yeah. I learned on that, and then invested in a dean...mostly because of the shape (ML) and somewhat because of Dimebag (RIP). I loved the ML, and still have it. but then my amp broke. So he went to this same pawn shop and bought me the same amp you play and my Peavey sounded ok. My dead sounded...ok. Then I worked my ass off and bought a line 6 from Guitar center...f***ing awful amp. But I loved it because I bought it with my money and mowed a thousand lawns to get it. Then I got a job and got my epiphone. After that I bought a Fender 212R and loved it. Ultimately it is the amp that makes the sound though, literally and tonally. I'd listen to these fine folks here. They're usually right.

Yeah! I know what you mean! I worked hard to get my first guitar and I love it still! And I've saved money to get this one too! But I have no Idea what a good guitar for $400 bucks is. So I thought I would ask these fine folks so can anyone tell me what a good amp and guitar is?
Page 1 of 2